The Power of an Image

EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
edited January 19, 2016 in The Big Picture
The article highlighting this (photojournalism) image is a few years old, and y'all may have seen it already,
but I just ran-across it, and I don't remember seeing it mentioned here before... so, I thought I would - sorry if it is a repeat.
Click through the pic a couple of times to get to see the full-size version.

For me, even though the back-story is interesting, this image needs no narration - it is a self contained story looking at a moment in time
and revealing something terrible, and at the same time, something wonderful about humans, their beliefs and culture, their strengths and weaknesses...
It doesn't get much better than this, imo, in documentary photography.

http://www.poynter.org/2013/how-kkk-rally-image-found-new-life-20-years-after-it-was-published/199985/
Eric ~ Smugmug

Comments

• ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2016
    Agree with all of the above. Stunning image!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited January 18, 2016
    Thanks so much, Eric, for posting this link. I had never seen the image before. The story is fascinating, but the image itself is just terrific. Boy, talk about ambiguity...wow! Indeed, it doesn't get much better.
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2016
    Glad to Richard!
    I figured that if you hadn't seen it, you (and others) would be interested and impressed. thumb.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited January 18, 2016
    Wow. Good find, Eric. Thanks for sharing it. Such a sad, sweet and ironic moment.
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2016
    My pleasure Joel...
    Yes, several themes, emotions, and consequences captured in just a moment.
    Eric ~ Smugmug