Youth Snowboard Racing

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited January 26, 2016 in Sports
5D3 + 70-200/2.8II. Wish I had brought my 7D2 for the reach to cover both the red and blue courses, but no biggie.

5D3_1737-X2.jpg

5D3_1804-X2.jpg

3 - wider view of the course
5D3_1740-X2.jpg

5D3_1755-X2.jpg

5D3_1728-X2.jpg

6, 7 - wipeout
5D3_1775-X2.jpg
5D3_1776-X2.jpg
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2016
    These are all great action shots. #2 - love the action in the background as well. #5 - perfect timing!
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2016
    Very, very nice shots! Well done.
    My only "critique" or desire would be for a little more texture/structure to be visible in the foreground snow of some of the shots. But that's not saying that I could in anyway capture the detail as well as you have already done here.

Take care,

Wayne
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2016
    Thanks Jo and Wayne. I had to overexpose the snow considerably in order to expose the kids properly. The sun was directly uphill of them, so they were very back-lit. LR highlights slider was at -100.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2016
    Thanks Jo and Wayne. I had to overexpose the snow considerably in order to expose the kids properly. The sun was directly uphill of them, so they were very back-lit. LR highlights slider was at -100.

Ahhh, very tough shooting conditions!

Wayne
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2016
    reach of 7DII would be nice, but with 5DIII you can crop in pretty heavily and end up with same quality, no?
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2016
    reach of 7DII would be nice, but with 5DIII you can crop in pretty heavily and end up with same quality, no?

Well, not the same quality, no, but good enough. If you crop 22mp by 1.6, you're left with 8.6mp. That's sufficient for most uses, but I've printed 8mp images at 20x30", and they're a little soft if you really look.

This shot I cropped down to 6mp. Still good, I'd print it up to 16x24". But I'd still rather have the extra pixels from the 7D2.

5D3_1728-X3.jpg
    -Jack