Options

D700 aperture stuck after use of old AF lens

GatorTigerGatorTiger Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited February 1, 2016 in Accessories
Hi everyone,

Surely that question came up previously, but after searching the forum I came up empty due to the searcjh words "old" being too short... :dunno

I recently used an old analog NIKKOR AF 35-105 on a D700. I got it to work after some fideling, but:
The new digital AF lens now is stuck in aperture closed. The NIKKOR works fine on my D70, as does a SIGMA for the same one. But they all have a closed aperture on the D700.

Can it be that the use of the old lens destroyed something on the D700? I'm in the market for a D750 and want to use the NIKKOR lens on it, too. But don't want to damage the 750 in the process...

Any input on how to get the D700 unstuck and the use of the AF on it is apreciated!!

Cheers,
HG

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
    edited January 27, 2016
    Do try to manually "rack" the aperture from smallest aperture to largest aperture before removing the lens from the camera body. (That technique is from older Auto Indexed lenses and older camera bodies, but might still apply to the D700? I hope that I am explaining it properly?)

Also, is there a minimum aperture lock on the Nikkor 35-105mm f3.5-f4.5D? If so, release that lock prior to racking the aperture from smallest to largest aperture to remove the lens. (I don't think that this is normally required, but just something to try.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    GatorTigerGatorTiger Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 1, 2016
    Hi ziggy,
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Do try to manually "rack" the aperture from smallest aperture to largest aperture before removing the lens from the camera body. (That technique is from older Auto Indexed lenses and older camera bodies, but might still apply to the D700? I hope that I am explaining it properly?)

I think we tried that already... But I will give it another try! It's my brother's cam... Gotta wait til I see him again... rolleyes1.gif
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Also, is there a minimum aperture lock on the Nikkor 35-105mm f3.5-f4.5D? If so, release that lock prior to racking the aperture from smallest to largest aperture to remove the lens. (I don't think that this is normally required, but just something to try.)
    There is... Ap ring doesn't even move with it on.... :D

Thanks for your help! I'll let you know how it went...

Cheers,
    HG