Options

SmugMug on Android not only for viewing

HaraldEHaraldE Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
edited February 1, 2016 in Bug Reporting
Morning,

The SmugMug app for Android is described as only for viewing. I also asked the SM helpdesk and the answer back was "It is strictly for viewing". And to be honest, this is the way I want it ... "strictly for viewing"

But the thruth is different. The app has an option for the viewer to "Save to Device". I tried it and the photo was then save in a folder called "Saved from Smugmug". The photo was small but anyway saved. If the app is "strictly for viewing" then this this menu option should not exist.

There is also a choice to send the viewed photo away in an eMail or to eMail away a link to the photo in host SmugMug

All in all, the facility to download and email a viewed photo contradicts the aim to be "strictly for viewing" so I consider these facilities a bug.

Regards, Harald
==================
My focus is on digitizing memories

Comments

• Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited January 31, 2016
    The SmugMug apps are for viewing and sharing. You can also upload from the SmugMug smartphone apps. You cannot sell photos or manage your account with the apps.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    HaraldEHaraldE Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2016
    leftquark wrote: »
    The SmugMug apps are for viewing and sharing. You can also upload from the SmugMug smartphone apps. You cannot sell photos or manage your account with the apps.

I think you hit the nail when you say "viewing and sharing". My view has been focused on "viewing". And I have seen the phrase "strictly for viewing" in other posts on DGrin. Also the SM helpdesk used the phrase "strictly for viewing" when I asked.

Let close this topic. I do have some other concerns but they are discussed in other threads.

Best regards, Harald
    ==================
    My focus is on digitizing memories
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2016
    HaraldE wrote: »
    I think you hit the nail when you say "viewing and sharing".

I realize you said let's close, but I just want to add a computer truism...

On any computer you do not control entirely, you cannot keep something viewed from being saved. The whole concept (as an example) of right click protection only keeps honest people from saving photos by being a reminder.

You cannot make a true "view only" application for OTHER people to run, unless you completely control their hardware and software.