Allow Keywords To Be Displayed In Password Protected Galleries

Dave17Dave17 Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
edited February 7, 2016 in SmugMug Feature Requests
Just learned from Smugmug help that now keywords are not displayed in password protected galleries!

Never used to be this way.

This is unacceptable!

I am a sports photographer. I have galleries for editors that i do not want displayed to the general public (that is why i password protect them). The editor needs the keywords to be able to identify players!

This MUST to returned the the way it used to work!
--Dave

Comments

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2013
    I still can see some of my keywords from passworded galleries. This has always happened when
    logged in. These are in the limited 255 KW cloud.

Because of that limit I went to a passworded gallery and clicked a keyword under photo
    and 360 showed in the keyword gallery.

I have not unveiled yet though.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2013
    Moved to the Feature Request Forum and renamed the title
    edited August 29, 2013
    Checking the feedback this was first added way back in 7-1-2009 and nothing has been done.
    http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/244858-make-password-protected-galleries-searchable

Why can't the keyword cloud of passworded galleries be appended to the keyword list when a password is entered?
    This is done when logging in. This would make many pros and families very happy that don't want their photos
    exposed to the public.
  • bcuzzbcuzz Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2014
    +2

Can anyone at least provide an update if this will ever happen?

Thanks,
    BC
  • mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2014
    bcuzz wrote: »
    +2

Can anyone at least provide an update if this will ever happen?

Thanks,
    BC

We don't think every SmugMug customer would want a password protected gallery to show on search results, so if we did this, I would think it would have to be an option in our search settings. I have given the use cases to my product department, but unfortunately, I don't think it will make the high priority bin.
    edited August 7, 2014
    I have a whole bunch of passworded smart galleries drawing from keywords in passworded galleries. This works
    great but visitors do not see these KW's in either the source gallery or smart gallery.
  • bcuzzbcuzz Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2014
    Use case:

I scanned hundreds of photos from my days as a high school yearbook photographer. I put those into a gallery which is password protected because I don't want Google getting in. This causes the keywords to be hidden. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to see the keywords and click one (say someone's name) and have Smugmug show all the photos of that person I have tagged?

Maybe there is another way to do this that I am missing?
    edited August 8, 2014
    Use case:

I scanned hundreds of photos from my days as a high school yearbook photographer. I put those into a gallery which is password protected because I don't want Google getting in. This causes the keywords to be hidden. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to see the keywords and click one (say someone's name) and have Smugmug show all the photos of that person I have tagged?

The only way I know of now is create a smart gallery for each keyword name. But no one would even
    know the keyword existed without seeing them. To get around this I created an index page with every
    name that links to their smart gallery. A huge amount of work but works for my family.
  • rrlymanrrlyman Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2015
    Allen wrote: »
    The only way I know of now is create a smart gallery for each keyword name. But no one would even
    know the keyword existed without seeing them. To get around this I created an index page with every
    name that links to their smart gallery. A huge amount of work but works for my family.

Here is another way. This copies the keyword tags in my files (created with Windows PhotoGallery) to the Caption line. Then I upload the photo

exiftool -r -Tagsfromfile @ "-xmp:Description<xmp:Subject" *.jpg

It appears to bump the previous Caption line in Smugmug up to the title.

So a viewing password protected file, viewed by a non-owner looks like this:

Title is the previous Caption
    Caption is a copy of the keywords

make a backup copy of all your photos before playing with this just to be safe.
  • rrlymanrrlyman Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2015
    Allen figured out how to make keywords work with password protected photos. They now show up in the keyword cloud.

There is no viewing password for the site, just for the top most folder.

Allen said in his post:

"My site is public. I have all my family photos under one top folder/category. That folder has a password and it
    applies to all folders, pages and galleries below it. I do not put a PW on anything below, leave PW blank, and
    the PW flows down. Also everything below is set fully public with the PW blocking visitors."
    edited November 2, 2015
    mbonocore wrote: »
    We don't think every SmugMug customer would want a password protected gallery to show on search results, so if we did this, I would think it would have to be an option in our search settings. I have given the use cases to my product department, but unfortunately, I don't think it will make the high priority bin.
    Currently when a visitor enters a passworded gallery all the keywords for "that" password are added
    to the keyword cloud and show on the /keyword page. This is a tremendous advantage for my family
    as they can now get all the photos for any family name from 100's of galleries.

1) Being that these keywords are now exposed I think they should also show in the photo info below
    every photo. This again would be a tremendous advantage for my family as they could immediately
    jump to any of the shown keywords without having to go to the /keyword page.

2) I have created smart galleries for many, lots of photos, family members. In these smart galleries the
    "from" does not show the original source gallery but shows originating from another smart gallery with
    virtual photos. I would like to see the original "from" source shown, example, "2006 Christmas".
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited November 3, 2015

2) I have created smart galleries for many, lots of photos, family members. In these smart galleries the
    "from" does not show the original source gallery but shows originating from another smart gallery with
    virtual photos. I would like to see the original "from" source shown, example, "2006 Christmas".

Hmm.... that sounds weird. I'll take a peek in the morning. Can you link me to one such example (or send me a Private Message with the link)?
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2015
    leftquark wrote: »
    Hmm.... that sounds weird. I'll take a peek in the morning. Can you link me to one such example (or send me a Private Message with the link)?
    Have noticed the same thing as Allen; From ref to another smart gallery.
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • BDJBDJ Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2016
    Use case:

This is exactly what I do with my unpassworded family photo site. I want to add a password but, when I do, the keyword list becomes invisible so users can't find photos, as has been reported above. And is to be expected, according to SmugMug Help.

I'm wondering if you have solved this problem, using Allen's method, for example, or another.
    edited January 17, 2016

I'm impressed as I'd been stuck. As I have 250 keywords (people's names) for my 900 family photos I'm dismayed by the thought of creating 250 smart galleries. I don't understand what you mean by an index page, though. Can you enlarge on that?

An alternative appeared to me to be sending a link to potential users but passwording seems to be preferable to you and others. What are the drawbacks of the link system?

Brian Jones
    edited February 7, 2016
    Use case:

Exactly what I want. Did you find a solution?
    Brian Jones
    Oxford, England
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited February 7, 2016
    Use case:

BDJ wrote: »
    Exactly what I want. Did you find a solution?

Disabling "Web Searchable" and "SmugMug Searchable" in Gallery Settings should do the trick of not letting Google index the images.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations