Display keyword gallery "scope"

pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
edited February 10, 2016 in SmugMug Feature Requests
All my galleries and folders contain a keyword cloud with the "scope" set to current location. That gives a list of keywords used in that particular gallery or folder. Clicking on a keyword brings up a normal looking keyword gallery, but it only shows results from within that gallery or folder. There's nothing on the keyword gallery to indicate where these keywords come from or that there might be more images. The only clue to me is that there's some random characters added to the URL, which apparently indicate the source, but not in a readable way. Please add something to keyword galleries to indicate the scope of the keyword search. I'm finding that search engines index limited scope keyword galleries and visitors coming in from searches have no way to know they are only seeing a subset of the images they are looking for.

There's also apparently no way to have a limited scope keyword cloud which brings visitors to ALL results for the selected keyword. That should be an option, since I think it would be the typical, less confusing use. When clicking on a keyword, visitors expect to see all photos tagged with that keyword.

Dave

Comments

• leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited February 10, 2016
    pilotdave wrote: »
    All my galleries and folders contain a keyword cloud with the "scope" set to current location. That gives a list of keywords used in that particular gallery or folder. Clicking on a keyword brings up a normal looking keyword gallery, but it only shows results from within that gallery or folder. There's nothing on the keyword gallery to indicate where these keywords come from or that there might be more images. The only clue to me is that there's some random characters added to the URL, which apparently indicate the source, but not in a readable way. Please add something to keyword galleries to indicate the scope of the keyword search. I'm finding that search engines index limited scope keyword galleries and visitors coming in from searches have no way to know they are only seeing a subset of the images they are looking for.

There's also apparently no way to have a limited scope keyword cloud which brings visitors to ALL results for the selected keyword. That should be an option, since I think it would be the typical, less confusing use. When clicking on a keyword, visitors expect to see all photos tagged with that keyword.

Dave

Thanks for the feature request Dave. If you could make sure it's also posted on the Feedback Forums, http://feedback.smugmug.com, we'll have a better idea of how important the request is (though your reasonings certainly make sense!).
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,010 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2016
    You can add a title to the keyword cloud box to at least give visitors an idea of keyword location.
    And add a link like "to see all site keywords" click here.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2016
    Allen wrote: »
    You can add a title to the keyword cloud box to at least give visitors an idea of keyword location.
    And add a link like "to see all site keywords" click here.

I use a "filter" icon:

i-SW5FntQ.png

Not sure if that gets the point across. But definitely doesn't help those that are already looking at a filtered keyword gallery.

Dave