Save after tagging doesn't finish

LivingstonLivingston Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited February 11, 2016 in Bug Reporting
Just getting around to uploading all our family photos to SM. My approach involves tagging each image with one or more content word.

I end up uploading a few images at a time because of the way I've sorted them on my laptop. The uploads go fine, but when I tag the images and then click "Save" I get the status box "Saving nn items" with a Cancel button. Sometimes it will show a little progress; sometimes in never indicates it's started the save.

I end up having to refresh the web page and start over with the tagging.

228uCGmt58VHe3abSVuXrdCV9IKwVN5FyVXVJvqVZJE6UWqC3pHV9vMhD5f0oVlHtSbGCIAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

I've tested to see if I'm just being impatient, but it never seems to go past where the save stopped.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Liv

Comments

• rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2016
    Hi Liv,
    There currently seems to be an issue with the bulk keywording at times getting stuck. We've already reported this to our QA team for further investigation. Right now, there's no known workaround. You could only try to keyword your photos in smaller batches for the time being. I'm sorry for any hassle.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2016
    Ever since smugmug removed the true "bulk" keywording tool, the built-in tool has been awful. I highly suggest using Sherlock's chrome extension instead: http://origin.sherlockphotography.org/Customisations/SmugMug-for-Chrome. It's MUCH more powerful, easier to use, and far less clunky. Huge time saver and somehow less buggy than smugmug itself.

Dave
  • LivingstonLivingston Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2016
    pilotdave wrote: »
    Ever since smugmug removed the true "bulk" keywording tool, the built-in tool has been awful. I highly suggest using Sherlock's chrome extension instead: http://origin.sherlockphotography.org/Customisations/SmugMug-for-Chrome. It's MUCH more powerful, easier to use, and far less clunky. Huge time saver and somehow less buggy than smugmug itself.

Dave

Dave, thanks. I'll try it.
    edited February 10, 2016
    Livingston wrote: »
    Dave, thanks. I'll try it.

Oops, don't use Chrome (use Firefox). I'll search to see if there might be something similar for FF.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited February 10, 2016
    Oops, don't use Chrome (use Firefox). I'll search to see if there might be something similar for FF.
    I haven't seen anything similar for Firefox. Why not use Chrome just for this purpose?

--- Denise
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2016
    I only use Firefox but when I need to bulk edit captions and keywords I right click and pick open page in Chrome.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited February 11, 2016
    I haven't seen anything similar for Firefox. Why not use Chrome just for this purpose?

--- Denise
    Saw your post regarding this in another thread. I did look into Firefox but nothing useful for tagging. And, you're right, I can use Chrome for just this work.

Lightbox comes up every so often and I think you mentioned that once tagged there the tag(s) stay with the image.

This is the first time I've actually used SM to house all our photos. I'm not sure 1) that I have the folder and gallery structure that I'm going to want, and 2) that SM gives me all the data management capabilities I'm going to want.

I'll look into both Chrome and Lightbox and post back my experience.

Thanks for being willing to help with this question.

Liv
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited February 11, 2016
    This is the first time I've actually used SM to house all our photos. I'm not sure 1) that I have the folder and gallery structure that I'm going to want, and ...
    You can fine-tune the folder structure as needed. I'd recommend looking at smug sites owned by other people to see what type of structures they have used. For example, take a look at my site (URL in signature below). For the most part I use a flat structure, folder to gallery. But for my Travel folder I use subfolders as well. I also have a page on my site (the "kaleidoscope" link in the menu) to highlight new galleries.
    Lightbox comes up every so often and I think you mentioned that once tagged there the tag(s) stay with the image.

This is the first time I've actually used SM to house all our photos. I'm not sure ... 2) that SM gives me all the data management capabilities I'm going to want.

I'll look into both Chrome and Lightbox and post back my experience.
    I used to use SmugMug to keyword my photos and to assign captions but I've changed my workflow. I import my photos into lightroom. If I am using a camera that doesn't place a copyright in the photos for me then I use a preset in lightroom to apply a copyright. I keyword all of the photos and assign captions and titles for some. (I need to improve my captioning!). Once I load the photos into my smug galleries the keywords and captions are already in place.

I highly recommend switching to using lightroom to apply your keywords and captions.

--- Denise