540p in the Vimeo Plugin

JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
edited February 12, 2016 in SmugMug Feature Requests
SmugMug helpfully provides a plugin to embed Vimeo videos. Vimeo recently revamped the resolutions at which they make "display copies" (to use SmugMug's phrase) as part of their move to adaptive scaling. Vimeo added a new 960 x 540 resolution. Unlike YouTube, they don't generate one at 852 x 480. So, it would nice if, in the Vimeo plug-in, SmugMug added a 960 x 540 video size. Doing so would provide a match with no up- or down-scaling.
Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com

Comments

• rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2016
    Hi Jim,
    If you're using the Vimeo content block to display videos from Vimeo, those videos are not uploaded to SmugMug. They're embedded directly from Vimeo and the size they're available in depends on your settings at Vimeo. If videos are only available in a smaller size / lower quality you may need go to the embed tab for your video in Vimeo and select the "Default this video to HD, when possible" setting under the "Miscellaneous" section.

Note that Vimeo says they're soon retiring that setting and you can find more details on that here.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2016
    Hi Sebastian,

It appears I did not convey my suggestion clearly enough. I know Vimeo will select the resolution (or the user can do so via the Vimeo HD button). I'm seeking to have a different specific fixed window size on the Smugmug embed. The image below is from my SmugMug site. I've hit the little wrench on a Vimeo plugin content box and brought up the Video Size choice. I'm seeking to add a 960 x 540 option to the list shown, perhaps replacing the 853 x 480 one. In that way Vimeo's 960 x 540 resolution copy will play without up- or down-scaling in a 960 x 540 window on my SmugMug site.

By the way, over on the Vimeo side, the "Default to HD" controls are now grayed out. That was new either this week or sometime last week. Their FAQ, which you linked, hasn't caught up.

Videosize.jpg

Added note: I'd also observe that SmugMug's own video player uses 960 x 540 rather than 853 x 480. As far as I can tell, only YouTube puts out a native 480p.
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited February 10, 2016
    I'll take a note of this request when we go to update the video player in the future!
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
    edited February 11, 2016
    leftquark wrote: »
    I'll take a note of this request when we go to update the video player in the future!

Feel free to ignore the suggestion or put it at the end of a long queue, but at least understand it please. This has nothing to do with the video player (updated or not) or with SmugMug video management. The suggestion deals with something that I think is smaller in scope: the parameters in the <iframe> for the Vimeo plugin and the interface that drives that <iframe>.
    edited February 11, 2016
    Hi Jim,
    You appear to have embedded some screenshots, but I'm unable to see them. Can you double check the links and also make sure that the gallery they reside in is not set to private?
    It would also be helpful if you could add a link to the page where you embedded the videos so we could take a closer look at it.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited February 11, 2016
    Hi Jim,
    You appear to have embedded some screenshots, but I'm unable to see them. Can you double check the links and also make sure that the gallery they reside in is not set to private?
    It would also be helpful if you could add a link to the page where you embedded the videos so we could take a closer look at it.

Ah, is that the problem? If the picture doesn't show, it's now at the URL below and I've inserted another copy

https://jtringl.smugmug.com/Other/Working/n-CNjrs/i-gwHdmn8/O

i-gwHdmn8.jpg

The photo above is in an unlisted gallery, but it's not hidden or private. (The one in the earlier post may have been hidden when I posted it.) I also see there were two other broken image links in my second post. My error on those. They're now gone. They are not relevant for the discussion. Sorry if those caused confusion.

(And while I'm noting errata, let me note I'm now aware my earlier statement that only YouTube does 480p is incorrect. I note the SmugMug video app does both 480p and 540p. But again, that's not directly related to the request here involving the Vimeo video plugin.)
    edited February 12, 2016
    Hi Jim,
    Can you include a link to a video on your Vimeo account that does offer the video size you're looking for? I could pass this on to our team to take a closer look.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited February 12, 2016
    Hi Jim,
    Can you include a link to a video on your Vimeo account that does offer the video size you're looking for? I could pass this on to our team to take a closer look.

My request applies to embeds, not to playing on the Vimeo site. Since I don't embed anywhere except on SmugMug, I don't have a live example available. However, when I log onto my Vimeo site -- here, but that's not very useful since you can't log in -- and look at the share tab for a particular video as an owner, I can generate embed code. Here is some sample code for embedding into a 960 x 540 window, as generated by the Vimeo share tool. I've inserted few line breaks inserted for readability. Of course, I can't use this directly on SmugMug because I can't insert an <iframe> in an HTML block without having it stripped.
    <iframe 
    src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/154137454?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0"
    width="[B]960[/B]" height="[B]540[/B]" frameborder="0" 
    webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen 
    allowfullscreen></iframe>

Below is the iframe command I see when I inspect the code you send for the SmugMug gallery where I have the 853 x 480 embedded: https://jtringl.smugmug.com/Browser/TouringNaturalPlaces/Yosemite-with-Badger-Pass/ (Scroll to the bottom of the page.) It's quite similar. The width and height parameters are different, the parameter order is different, and there is no autoplay parameter because autoplay=0 is, I think, the default ... but that's it. I used to the Firefox Web Developer/Inspector tool to grab this:
    <iframe 
    src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/154137454?title=0&amp;
    byline=0&amp;portrait=0&amp;autoplay=0" 
    webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" 
    height="[B]480[/B]" width="[B]853[/B]"></iframe>

There's also some preload code below that which, in one place, has window size parameters.

The final HTML changes are pretty minimal. I recognize the real work in implementing my suggestion lies in the user interface and code generation that ends up with this.

So while I can't directly respond to you request, I hope this helps.

Added example: If you just want a link for testing, here's the one referenced above: https://vimeo.com/154137454. It has a 540p version (along with 360p, 720p, and 1080p -- Vimeo's usual complement.) That's what I entered into the Vimeo plugin on the page mentioned above.