Medical glove shoot

pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
edited March 19, 2016 in Technique
I'm shooting medical gloves for a company and am having problems getting the wrinkles out of the Nitrile and latex gloves. Without using photoshop does anyone have any tips to get rid of the wrinkles from the glove? Thanks.
"Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
My images | My blog | My free course

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2016
    pemmett wrote: »
    I'm shooting medical gloves for a company and am having problems getting the wrinkles out of the Nitrile and latex gloves. Without using photoshop does anyone have any tips to get rid of the wrinkles from the glove? Thanks.

Inflate gloves. Put hands inside, put a mannequin hands inside, inflate with air, try small hot dogs, liquid foam, jello, etc.

Sam
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2016
    Samples images
    Here's a few samples with the wrinkles. I'm using a real hand. I think the gloves are too big for one thing, but they also have a lot of wrinkles from being in the packaging.

2Y1600-1-M.jpg

2Y1870T-1-M.jpg

2Y1730-1-M.jpg

Any help to get rid of the packaging wrinkles as well as the wrinkles when on the hand would be really welcome :D
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited February 11, 2016
    If this is a photo shoot for the manufacturer, tell them that you need "photographic samples" of the gloves, i.e. gloves before they are packaged and as perfect as possible in terms of color, shaping, etc.. Have the gloves shipped individually and as loose as possible in the package to avoid getting the wrinkles in the first place.

If this is for a retail or wholesale firm, have them secure the copies for you, to your specifications.

When you get the gloves, use some polyester fill to plump the gloves. The sleeves may need some rolled up plastic or similar to get the proper shaping. Think about using sections of a 20-24oz plastic Pepsi bottle, for instance.

Product photography does take some time for each product in order to produce desired results. (Food photography is the most challenging type of product photography. Be thankful that this project doesn't require any food.)

Note that if the images require realistic in-use styling, just use a size smaller than your model's hands.

Use Uline images for inspiration:

Uline glove images
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2016
    To play the devils advocate....................this IS what the cloves look like.

So the mfg wants you / us / photographers to fake what their product looks like?

This is similar to the wonderful photo of a huge delicious fast food hamburger in advertising and the actual squished reality of their product.

Just saying............................:D

Sam
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited February 11, 2016
    I think you need a smaller glove size - I'm with Sam in that all surgical gloves do have some wrinkles, so what. But snug fitting gloves usually have lesser amounts of wrinkles.

Or as Sam said, inflate them with low pressure air - or just air flow and not pressurized air.

Nice soft light from a big soft box will help as well - or even a light tent, to minimize the light intensity difference between light and shadow.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2016
    Sam wrote: »
    To play the devils advocate....................this IS what the cloves look like.

So the mfg wants you / us / photographers to fake what their product looks like?

This is similar to the wonderful photo of a huge delicious fast food hamburger in advertising and the actual squished reality of their product.

Just saying............................:D

Sam

I was in medicine for thirty-eight years. Surgical gloves have wrinkles!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• OspreyOsprey Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2016
    use these daily. The ones you show are too big. If they fit properly there are no wrinkles

Dr G
  • OspreyOsprey Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2016
    Actually these look like exam gloves which only come small med large etc. You should be able to get a tight fit though. Surgical gloves come in real glove sizes and should fit tight.
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2016
    Thank you for the feedback
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I ended up asking for smaller gloves as well as using a different model and they came out better. The latex gloves definitely had less wrinkles whereas the nitrile gloves we more difficult to get smooth in camera. There were clean room gloves, which definitely wrinkle more that surgeons gloves. In the end I am using as little photoshop as possible to remove wrinkles and make them look natural.

Thanks again for all the feedback. Cheers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23 Big grins

@pemmett said:

Hi.

I did all the product photos for Suprahealthcare in South Africa
    http://www.suprahealthcare.co.za/catalog/supercare-nitrile-gloves/

The link above is for the gloves,
    We used a porcelain hand . The gloves were stretched over the hand , I used File clips to Fasten and tighten and stretch out the wrinkles ( Just pinch in the glove were it is hidden .

I have just landed the contract for the upgrade and development of nw products for the same Company .

Will gladly chat more i fyou want