Removing Watermarks from Specific Galleries

sjhpubssjhpubs Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited March 20, 2016 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I have created a new gallery which is password protected, and is only available by invitation. I would like to remove the site-wide watermark that is in place, but I cannot figgure out how to do this.

I triedf turning watermarks off in settings for the gallery, but they are still there and they also appear on a card I created, using one of the images, in my shopping cart. I do not want the watermarks to appear in this one gallery (and perhaps in other select galleries that I will choose), and I certainly do not want it to appear on printed products unless I specify otherwise.

Thank you,
Sandy
sjhpubs
PortViews
Fine Photographic Prints & Notecards with Local Color
portviews.smugmug.com

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited February 29, 2016
    From the Removing Watermarks section of this help page:
    Removing Watermarks

Change your mind? Remove watermarks from many or all photos in your gallery:
    Go to the Organizer and select the photos you want to unwatermark. Click the wrench icon > Watermarks. Then select your thumbnails, choose Remove and then Save.

Watermarks never appear on printed products although I suspect they show in the create card windows. They won't appear on the printed card.

--- Denise
  • sjhpubssjhpubs Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2016
    Thanks but I followed your steps and the watermarks are still there. I really need to get this resolved asap. Thanks again.

And I think I saw someone say that the watermarks will NOT appear on printed products, but they DO appear in the proof of the card I was creating with one of the images, so how will my customers (and I) know that they won't appear in the final product?

This all used to work well when I last tried it, but that was before the smugmug interface was redesigned.

Thanks,
    Sandy
    sjhpubs
    PortViews
    portviews.smugmug.com
  • TeachTeach Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2016
    Sandy can you send us a link to the gallery so we can make sure there is not a watermark on the files you uploaded to SmugMug. You can either post the link here on Dgrin or send the Support Heroes an email at help@smugmug.com with the link.
    Heather
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited March 8, 2016
    sjhpubs
    PortViews
    portviews.smugmug.com
  • herojosieherojosie Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2016
    Hi Sandy,

Thanks for sending the link. I've double checked the originals and those seem to have the watermark as well so it appears they were uploaded with the watermark. When downloading originals or purchasing prints, we will use the original files that were uploaded so you will need to upload unwatermarked originals in order for that not to show on those purchased prints.

If you have more questions about this or want to follow up further, you can contact us directly at help@smugmug.com
    Thanks,
    Josie
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited March 19, 2016
    I recreated the gallery without watermarks, I uploaded from LightRoom, without watermarks, I just tried selecting all the images (uploaded with Watermarks anyway) and said "Remove Watermarks" and THEY ARE STILL THERE!!

Please Help me with this quickly as my client is getting impatient.

Thanks,
    Sandy
    sjhpubs
    PortViews
    portviews.smugmug.com
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2016
    sjhpubs wrote: »
    I recreated the gallery without watermarks, I uploaded from LightRoom, without watermarks, I just tried selecting all the images (uploaded with Watermarks anyway) and said "Remove Watermarks" and THEY ARE STILL THERE!!

Please Help me with this quickly as my client is getting impatient.

Thanks,
    Sandy
    I don't understand "(uploaded with Watermarks anyway)"?

If you added watermarks in Smug and are trying to remove those, it could take awhile for the new display copies to generate.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited March 19, 2016
    herojosie wrote: »
    I've double checked the originals and those seem to have the watermark as well so it appears they were uploaded with the watermark. When downloading originals or purchasing prints, we will use the original files that were uploaded so you will need to upload unwatermarked originals in order for that not to show on those purchased prints.

If you have more questions about this or want to follow up further, you can contact us directly at help@smugmug.com
    Based on herojosie's response above it appears that the images had watermarks on them before you uploaded to smugmug. Remove watermarks in SmugMug will only work if the watermarks were applied in SmugMug.

You can check if the watermark is on the original image by clicking to the original image in your gallery by opening it in lightbox then selecting Original for the size. If the watermark is on the original it wasn't applied by SmugMug; it came from lightroom.

I'd suggest that you export an image from lightroom locally using the same settings that you use when you upload from lightroom to check that the image is / isn't watermarked.

--- Denise
    edited March 20, 2016
    Not sure what Lightbox is.

When I created the gallery from within LR, I deselected the Watermark box, assuming that would upload the images without watermarks.

I can do an export, and that's what I am gong to have to do to get this done. BUT, does this mean that if I do not want a new gallery to be watermarked, I am going to have to exprt each time? This is a problem with the uplo0ad module from LR.

And, if I do upload and there are watermarks, why are they not being deleted when I select them and click Remove Watermark? It's been two days and thw images still have watermarks.

Samdy
    sjhpubs
    PortViews
    portviews.smugmug.com
    edited March 20, 2016
    Not sure what Lightbox is.

When I created the gallery from within LR, I deselected the Watermark box, assuming that would upload the images without watermarks.

I can do an export, and that's what I am gong to have to do to get this done. BUT, does this mean that if I do not want a new gallery to be watermarked, I am going to have to exprt each time? This is a problem with the uplo0ad module from LR.

And, if I do upload and there are watermarks, why are they not being deleted when I select them and click Remove Watermark? It's been two days and thw images still have watermarks.

Samdy
    Watermarks that are applied by SmugMug can be removed by the watermarking tool in SmugMug.

Watermarks that are applied by Lightroom cannot be removed by the watermarking tool in SmugMug.

You must export or upload without the watermark. Based on herojosie's checking your original images, there are watermarks on your originals. SmugMug never watermarks the original images since those are used for printing. That implies that the watermarks were applied in lightroom and are on the uploaded images.

Lightbox is the page you are placed on in smugmug when you click a photo to see a larger image.
    Click to Lightbox. Look for an icon on the bottom right that looks like a stack of rectangles. Click on it, then select Original to see the original image.

--- Denise
    edited March 20, 2016
    Thank you, Denise. Now I see that, somehow, the originals do have watermarks in the lightbox. But, if I create a gallery, and specify no watermarks (from within LR), then how did the watermarks get there? I am going to try to delete the gallery, both in SmuMug and in the LR uploader, and then start the upload process from scratch to see if that makes a difference.

Thank you again.
    sjhpubs
    PortViews
    portviews.smugmug.com
    edited March 20, 2016
    Thank you, Denise. Now I see that, somehow, the originals do have watermarks in the lightbox. But, if I create a gallery, and specify no watermarks (from within LR), then how did the watermarks get there? I am going to try to delete the gallery, both in SmuMug and in the LR uploader, and then start the upload process from scratch to see if that makes a difference.
    If the watermark is on the original in lightbox then the watermark was placed on the photo by Lightroom.
    It appeared that whatever you thought you unchecked in lightroom didn't get changed.

Again, I suggest you try to export the photo from lightroom locally using the same settings you are using when you export from lightroom to smugmug. Look at the exported photo.

--- Denise