Trip to Glacier

shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 675 Major grins
Looking for helpful hints for a trip to Glacier.

We are likely going in the summer, maybe fall.

Locations and shoot times would be great help.

is the summer a better time?

Hotels? Lodging? etc...

Comments

• GSJonGSJon Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2016
    I was just here this past summer in July. The Going to the Sun road, the main/only road across the part, is only open for so long and does not open until the end of June or so and once it starts snowing closes at some point too. I was camping so cannot comment on what hotel to stay at. Between 09:00 & 16:00 traffic was, well, felt about the same as rush hour here in Chicago.

There were also a good many forest fires in the area while I was there and the smoke/haze was prominent all over.

Most of the stuff I found do to and see I found online. I did buy a guide book as well from Amazon.

There were lots of great hiking trails and things to do.
    2015.07-GlacierTrip-201-M.jpg

2015.07-GlacierTrip-196-M.jpg
  • shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 675 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2016
    Thanx Jon. Great Pix. We are rethinking our trip. I'm not much for massive crowds. Thank you for the response.
    GSJon wrote: »
    I was just here this past summer in July. The Going to the Sun road, the main/only road across the part, is only open for so long and does not open until the end of June or so and once it starts snowing closes at some point too. I was camping so cannot comment on what hotel to stay at. Between 09:00 & 16:00 traffic was, well, felt about the same as rush hour here in Chicago.

There were also a good many forest fires in the area while I was there and the smoke/haze was prominent all over.

Most of the stuff I found do to and see I found online. I did buy a guide book as well from Amazon.

There were lots of great hiking trails and things to do.
    2015.07-GlacierTrip-201-M.jpg

2015.07-GlacierTrip-196-M.jpg
  • GSJonGSJon Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2016
    The roads were pretty hectic but I had a small window of opportunity to go there as I was also headed up to Calgary for the Stampede then get back to work in 15 days. That is along with the other things I did on that 5,200 mile round trip.

The park is open all year round but parts of it do get shut down when the snow starts stacking up. You could go after Labor Day and probably everything will still be open but I think it would start getting chilly up there.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,234 moderator
    edited March 28, 2016
    shawnc wrote: »
    Thanx Jon. Great Pix. We are rethinking our trip. I'm not much for massive crowds.
    Glacier is absolutely gorgeous. It might be worth a visit on the edges of the summer season. Attempting to time a visit to match the opening of Going to the Sun Highway might provide a good visiting time.
    https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/goingtothesunroad.htm

--- Denise
  • borderbraeborderbrae Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2016
    Glacier is a wonderful place! I camped there in late August 2014. At the St. Mary Visitor Center they had an evening program about the night sky, some large telescopes for viewing, etc. And one of the astronomers said that the Aurora Borealis might be visible in 2 nights. Sure enough it was and I got some images of it (on my website & blog). I camped at Rising Sun campground for 5 nights, free shuttle to go up to Logan's Pass stops right out front. Hoping to stay there again in August this summer.
    Jean
    Canon 5D Mark III, 6D; Canon 17-40 F 4.0 L; Canon 24-105 f 4.0 IS L; Canon 70-200 f 4.0 IS L; Canon 100-400 IS L II; Samyang 14mm f 2.8; Samyang 24 mm f 1.4; Manfrotto tripod
    www.borderbraeimages.com
    http://www.borderbrae.wordpress.com