Twisted Kida (cosplay content)

FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
edited April 26, 2016 in People
Well, this is that season again.
My first convention is over, and almost all images are turned in.

here we have a twisted princess Kida of Disney's Atlantis.

1)
p2005727217-4.jpg

2)
p2122867486-4.jpg

3)
p2141177913-4.jpg

4)
p2109273568-4.jpg

5)
p2059697881-4.jpg

6)
p1904573433-4.jpg

7)
p1916011871-4.jpg

8)
p2047636668-4.jpg

9)
p1956992166-4.jpg

Cosplayer is Ginger Liz; hands down one of my most favorite cosplayers.
Arseny - the too honest guy.
My Site
My Facebook

Comments

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2016
    Had no idea what / who a twisted kida is /was ... or what cosplay referred to .. :)

Whilst I realise you pair probably had no choice / options re location / environment* ... it's what lets this down imo - just seems a shame when she's obviously made a considerable effort to address her chosen role / character.

On a side note, I wonder if the twin gods of Health n Safety are also at work here, re materials that are allowed to be used to make weapons for this sort of gig ... 'cos this one is ... how shall I put this ... 'somewhat lacking?'

pp

* I'm probably thinking about role specific versions of some of the images in Frank Frazetta's 'Icon' btw ... and similar in the world of rendered 3D computer characters.
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2016
    I'm sorry, what is exactly "lacking"?
    My Site
    My Facebook
    edited April 8, 2016
    Foques wrote: »
    I'm sorry, what is exactly "lacking"?

Well, I'd expect a weapon of this sort to have a blade that's thinner than the handle?

So, if one of my daughters had asked me to make something similar to this, I'd probably have used some sort of (thin) sheet material and a broom / mop etc handle ... but ... and that's why I mentioned H+S ... if stuff like 3 - 6mm ply / mdf or plastic isn't allowed, then I'd start thinking about card faced, foam cored display / backing board ... and if that was still considered too 'dangerous' then (stiff, high density) foam etc

As has often been voiced ... the 'devil is in the detail' ... she's probably spent a lot a lot of time to get the look she has - but - imo, it's been let down somewhat by a rather unconvincing essential prop.

pp

Edit
    Forgot to say - I'd be surprised if suitable materials couldn't be acquired (for free) by half an hour's 'skip diving' in a suitable location ... and I suspect she'd have less trouble getting assistance than I would if wanting something removed from said skip ...
    edited April 8, 2016
    ah, I understand.
    you have no knowledge of the character, what cosplay is in general, and have not been to cons, but you are critiquing the costume..

Costume is quite accurate, so it the staff. It is a rather good idea to do your research before you start on a path like that.

Thanks for your feedback.
    My Site
    My Facebook
    edited April 8, 2016
    Sort of correct ... but not entirely.

Prior to viewing this thread I had zero knowledge of half of the words in the thread's title ... and was sufficiently intrigued to have a look.
    After viewing the thread I googled both unknown (to me) terms.
    I tried to find a definitive image of the character in question, but failed.
    Based on what I did see - shafts with sharp pointed, silvery coloured end bits - and well over 10yrs of being associated with 3D modellers who like to make all manner of fantasy characters, often with weaponry that has sharp bits ... I reckoned there was a reasonable chance that the end bit was some sort of blade.
    Further trawling still hasn't provided any definite answers, although I now know she's (apparently) a 'volatile warrior princess' ... who used to nobble people.

So, at the moment, I'll stick to what I've already said re the 'thing she's holding in her hand' ...
    At no point have I criticised the rest of the costume - in fact I made positive comments about it in my first post when suggesting that - imo - the environment let the overall image(s) down - not the individual's efforts at reproducing the attire.

For something like this, I'd consider the source material to be the film - which I've not seen (but will certainly add to my list of dvds to look for in the local £1 shop) - or original authorised Disney artwork - links to the latter will certainly be viewed /followed up, of course.

pp
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2016
    I am a Cosplay dad so I know what goes into every creation my 16 year old daughter choses to portray. She makes every costume paying great detail to the colors and fabrics as well as the makeup for each anime character.
    I help by making props when they require metal work or fiberglass for instance but she makes all else that requires crafting foam or Wonderflex
    Many times when we are at conventions we see some of the same costumes, some that are more detailed and some that are far from such. The point is, everyone has a budget and it's good to keep that in mind when admiring or criticizing someone's work.
    It also should be noted that some venues do not allow metal bladed props so that needs to be taken into consideration.

The other factor since I photograph all of her Cosplay's, is that some venues have horrible locations for any decent shooting so you have to get creative sometimes.

Overall I think these shots are great as well as the work that went into the creation of this character.

Just my opinion and I note "everyone" is entitled to their opinion.

BTW number 8 is my favorite.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited April 23, 2016
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    The point is, everyone has a budget and it's good to keep that in mind when admiring or criticizing someone's work.
    It also should be noted that some venues do not allow metal bladed props so that needs to be taken into consideration.

The other factor since I photograph all of her Cosplay's, is that some venues have horrible locations for any decent shooting so you have to get creative sometimes.

All valid points and all taken on board prior to making my comments.

pp
    edited April 25, 2016
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    I am a Cosplay dad so I know what goes into every creation my 16 year old daughter choses to portray. She makes every costume paying great detail to the colors and fabrics as well as the makeup for each anime character.
    I help by making props when they require metal work or fiberglass for instance but she makes all else that requires crafting foam or Wonderflex
    Many times when we are at conventions we see some of the same costumes, some that are more detailed and some that are far from such. The point is, everyone has a budget and it's good to keep that in mind when admiring or criticizing someone's work.

Overall I think these shots are great as well as the work that went into the creation of this character.

Just my opinion and I note "everyone" is entitled to their opinion.

BTW number 8 is my favorite.

appreciate it.
    I have no problem having people critique my work, but when clueless people start talking about my models, that's where I draw a line.
    way i see it, you want to critique costumes, go to the right forum.
    My Site
    My Facebook
    edited April 26, 2016
    Foques wrote: »
    appreciate it.
    I have no problem having people critique my work, but when clueless people start talking about my models, that's where I draw a line.
    way i see it, you want to critique costumes, go to the right forum.

In my first post I essentially commented on two aspects of the images.

1 - that a different background / environment - more in keeping with the character being portrayed - would have made your pics stronger.

Still a valid comment, imo - even though I accept limitations forced on (but not mentioned by) you.

2 - as a 'side note' ... ie an additional comment associated with the overall impact of the images - a comment about a single prop being used by said character.

Imo, an image (like any system?) is only as strong as it's weakest aspect / component. Any part of the image that seems out of place or acts as an 'eye pull has- imo - the potential to degrade the effectiveness /impact of said image.

As I understand things - from reading client info on other Dgrinner's sites - it's the 'tog's job to suggest that their client / subject avoid clothing / pose / prop etc choices that adversely affect the resulting image.

Whilst I accept that your subject presumably only had what was available (re prop) at the time - in your situation - but with my particular (practical) skillset, I would've considered making a comment about whether said 'prop' was of the same quality as the rest of the costume.

Although this was the first time I'd come across the term 'cosplay', it would - with daughters who're now 31 and 28 - also be a mistake to draw the conclusion that I'm entirely 'clueless' about aspects of this activity.

pp

Edit

Re going to the right forum for commenting on props.
    Fair point - and one I'd certainly consider if I was prepared to actually make articles of this nature for people - but these days I've got other priorities / interests, like making gear for snapping duckpix.
    edited April 26, 2016
    In my first post I essentially commented on two aspects of the images.

1 - that a different background / environment - more in keeping with the character being portrayed - would have made your pics stronger.

Still a valid comment, imo - even though I accept limitations forced on (but not mentioned by) you.

2 - as a 'side note' ... ie an additional comment associated with the overall impact of the images - a comment about a single prop being used by said character.

Imo, an image (like any system?) is only as strong as it's weakest aspect / component. Any part of the image that seems out of place or acts as an 'eye pull has- imo - the potential to degrade the effectiveness /impact of said image.

As I understand things - from reading client info on other Dgrinner's sites - it's the 'tog's job to suggest that their client / subject avoid clothing / pose / prop etc choices that adversely affect the resulting image.

Whilst I accept that your subject presumably only had what was available (re prop) at the time - in your situation - but with my particular (practical) skillset, I would've considered making a comment about whether said 'prop' was of the same quality as the rest of the costume.

Although this was the first time I'd come across the term 'cosplay', it would - with daughters who're now 31 and 28 - also be a mistake to draw the conclusion that I'm entirely 'clueless' about aspects of this activity.

pp

Edit

Re going to the right forum for commenting on props.
    Fair point - and one I'd certainly consider if I was prepared to actually make articles of this nature for people - but these days I've got other priorities / interests, like making gear for snapping duckpix.
    do me a favor. Ignore my posts going forward. You are not adding anything useful to the conversation, nor have you in your other posts that I've seen.
    I see nothing of value in what you have provided above. You have no idea what you talk about, yet you keep using your keyboard to push your (clueless) opinion.

Side note: don't bother replying trying to clarify your view on "proper way".. you are blocked on my end; I won't see it.
    My Site
    My Facebook