Options

Just knew about this site today... football pics

luisferfrancoluisferfranco Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
edited November 28, 2005 in Sports
But I think I have come to the right place!

I was looking at some of your pics here and they are awesome, so I think there will be lots of people who can help me to develop my style. I live in Mexico so I'm gonna put some pics about american football here in Mexico, tell me what you think.

DSC07830.jpg
This one was one of my first attempts...

DSC07875.jpg
I think this one is one of my favourites, in the end zone, the defensiveman makes a great play

DSC07927.jpg
Here is one of the stadium, this is one of the few stadiums that were built in Mexico having the american football in mind, not soccer.

DSC08010.jpg

Those pics are from the first game I ever took photos, I think I'm doing it a little better now, I'll puto some examples later.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 24, 2005
    Here are some other shots from the second game...

DSC08297.jpg

Here is one of the creepy mascot
    DSC08442.jpg

Incomplete!!!
    DSC08343.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2005
    This one might be overdone, but I like it anyway
    DSC08917.JPG

This guy was an elusive QB
    DSC09078.JPG

Here comes an extra point!
    DSC09414.JPG
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2005
    One of the greatest RB in the league
    dsc09597.jpg

Huge difference in size. If you notice, the helmets are quite similar, this is because both teams are the "Wild Rams", they are from the same college (from which I graduate), but the white team is in Monterrey while the other one is at Toluca, something like "University of Miami in Ohio" (where Big Ben comes from, I really hope he is ready for the monday so they can kick some Colts ass, I'm a steelers fan, of course)
    dsc09697.jpg

This one is a reception for a TD
    dsc10022.jpg

More Action
    dsc10089.jpg

Do you think I've been improving over the time? do you have any suggestions? I would love to hear.
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2005
    Luis, I'm no expert but I think you did a really nice job with these. Football is a tough sport to shoot and you've got quite a few keepers here!

Welcome to DGrin, keep posting!
  • Options
    JoeLJoeL Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2005
    Nice Images for sure. They are crisp and clear.

The only suggestion I could make is to "Crop" them tighter just to keep the action /play without anything else. Some of them may be odd sizes but they will print ok with a little adjustment.

I have lots of odd sized tightly cropped College Football images on my smugmug site if you want to take a look.
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2005
    Great looking shots... welcome to Dgrin! Where are all the football fans? Big stadium, but it looks very empty in the first series.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2005
    JoeL wrote:
    Nice Images for sure. They are crisp and clear.

The only suggestion I could make is to "Crop" them tighter just to keep the action /play without anything else. Some of them may be odd sizes but they will print ok with a little adjustment.

I have lots of odd sized tightly cropped College Football images on my smugmug site if you want to take a look.
    I bet you have much more recommendations to share. I saw some of your galleries and the action shots are awesome. Someday "when I grow up" (heehhe) I want to make some like yours.

Talking about crop, I saw those odd sizes in your images. I like them for screen, but I'm not quite sure about the printing, what kind of adjustments you do for printing? The pics I showed here are for website, so the size is the "standard 640x480", when I print I stick to the "standard sizes" 3.5x5, 5x7, 8x10, 10x12 and so on, all at 300dpis

Suppose I took this pic of you (number 3, page 1, Morehouse University "Maroon Tigers" -vs- Clark Atlanta University "Panthers") and I want to print it for a poster, a card or something. What would you do? to put it into a "frame" and then print? I'm really interested.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2005
    JimM wrote:
    Great looking shots... welcome to Dgrin! Where are all the football fans? Big stadium, but it looks very empty in the first series.
    Well... here in Mexico we don't have a professional football league, it's only college league, the "first division" is composed of 12 teams (in the country are hundreds of teams, actually), but from those 12, there are actually 5 maybe 6 which are really competitive. They come of course, from the biggest Universities with lots of re$ource$.

The stadium depicted here is the home field of the Universidad de Mexico Pumas, one of the most beautiful stadiums in my opinion. Unfortunately their team hasn't been too competitive for the last 10 years, the UNAM is a huge university (State's) and used to have 4 or 5 competitive teams, they have to rebuild them in only one "selection" team, even with that the last 20 years the private universities with better allocated resources for their programs have dominated the league, and they are offering very aggressive football programs, they look much more like an army than a football team.

In this particular game, the UNAM lost 48-0 to the Wild Rams, I think all those factors add up to see very few fans on the stadium.

The championship game, was different of course, the stadium in Monterrey was crowded and that's a big, state of the art stadium (33,500 seats) http://www.mty.itesm.mx/nuestrocampus/tour/estadio.html (that's big for a university that have about 10,000 students in that campus)

One thing it is curious... here in Mexico, the "official" sport whould be the soccer, but in colleges, the biggest and best organized league is american football. (http://www.onefa.org)
  • Options
    JoeLJoeL Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2005
    Thanks so much for the kind words,

I actually use an interpolation program if I need to make them larger.

Otherwise they will print in whatever size I make them, sometimes they have a small white border that needs trimming. Most of all my Football and Volleyball images are printed in Catalogs and Magazines so size is usually not a big problem. Some of them are blown up into huge posters and life size stand ups for sporting goods stores. I will give you the link to a free program that you can use to make huge posters without quality loss, it works really great.

http://interpolatethis.com/

Hope this helps a little bit. If theres anything at all I can help with Please email me, I will be happy to help.

Take Care,
    Joe
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2005
    JoeL wrote:
    Got it, thanks for the help, you use odd sizes because you print in odd sizes :):, cool.

I looked at the website and found the software is now commercial (no longer freeware, of course there are evaluations), and I saw in the site its software (algorythms al least) are now embeded into PS CS2, so I think I can stay with PS.

Thank you very much!