Options

Great Smoky Mountains N.P. ~ Cades Cove

EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
edited April 14, 2016 in Other Cool Shots
Spent a week in the Appalachian Mountains - my first time there... wow, what a magical place!

First%20Cabin-X2.jpg

Blacksmith-X2.jpg

Covered%20Parking-X2.jpg

John%20Cable%20Grist%20Mill-X2.jpg

The%20Miller-X2.jpg

Cades%20Cove-X2.jpg
Eric ~ Smugmug

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2016
    Great set Eric!! #2, #2 and #5 are sweeeeeeeet!!
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2016
    A nice set! #'s 2&4 really work for me. thumb.gifthumb

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,832 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2016
    Good shots, Eric. 1 & 4 are my favorites.

Sara
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2016
    Really well done, Eric! #'s 1,2 and 5 make my most favored list and I enjoy the B&W! bowdown.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,882 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2016
    Eric, my friend, this is a wonderful set! clap.gifclap The PP work is outstanding as is the handling of the light, specially in #2. Awesome work.
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2016
    Great series, Eric. You can probably understand now why the Appalachians have been my spiritual home for over 40 years.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Great set Eric!! #2, #2 and #5 are sweeeeeeeet!!
    Thanks much Taz!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2016
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    A nice set! #'s 2&4 really work for me. thumb.gifthumb

Phil
    Thank-you Phil, for the look and comments - appreciated!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2016
    Good shots, Eric. 1 & 4 are my favorites.

Sara

Thank-you kindly Sara... the cabin in #1 was built in 1850 by John Oliver - the original family to settle there - as a "honeymoon house" for his son when he married... it was considered a very nice place to live.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2016
    Really well done, Eric! #'s 1,2 and 5 make my most favored list and I enjoy the B&W! bowdown.gif
    Thanks Wayne! The man in the window in #5 was operating the John P. Cable grist mill that day making cornmeal.
    My wife just had to have a bag of the stuff, but, we had to ship it home so that our luggage would not be over-weight... I expect that the resulting cornbread will be very rich, in more ways than one. :D
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2016
    Juano wrote: »
    Eric, my friend, this is a wonderful set! clap.gifclap The PP work is outstanding as is the handling of the light, specially in #2. Awesome work.

Gosh... thanks Cristóbal - you are kind, and I always appreciate your feedback.
    I've learned that the tradition in a Blacksmith shop is for low, indirect, natural light - the better to see the glowing metal.
    That was certainly the case here - it was very dark in this log shack (darker than it appears in the image), only the light coming through the cracks... but, it did make for wonderful lighting for the photo.
    24mm ~ 1/200 sec. @ f4.5 ~ ISO 4000
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2016
    Great series, Eric. You can probably understand now why the Appalachians have been my spiritual home for over 40 years.

Take care,

Tom
    Thank-you Sir!
    Yes, I do understand, more now, the affection you have for the region.
    We were attending a school most of the week, and didn't have as much time as I would have liked to explore the back-roads,
    but, we did manage to see quite a bit going back-and-forth from Knoxville down into North Carolina... including highway US 129 ~ The Tail of the Dragon... the windiest dang road I've ever driven on... Don't go if you get car-queasy!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2016
    Superb set, Eric! The BW certainly adds to the historic feel of the place. #2 and #5 are my favorites by far--the people are the heart of Appalachia and you made some nice shots with these gentlemen. Well done!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2016
    Wonderful! #5 is it for me!! Being an Appalachian American myself I am biased. :D did you happen to notice the smells of the Appalachians?
    I love the comps and the story in all of these.
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2016
    redleash wrote: »
    Superb set, Eric! The BW certainly adds to the historic feel of the place. #2 and #5 are my favorites by far--the people are the heart of Appalachia and you made some nice shots with these gentlemen. Well done!

Lauren
    Thanks much Lauren... nice to hear from you!
    Yes, I met some wonderful folks while there... I'd love to go back someday with more time for photography, and capture more of the out-of-the-way people and places. thumb.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
    edited April 10, 2016
    Love #5, followed by #2, for the period costumed human elements included in each.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2016
    Eia wrote: »
    Wonderful! #5 is it for me!! Being an Appalachian American myself I am biased. :D did you happen to notice the smells of the Appalachians?
    I love the comps and the story in all of these.
    Thank-you kindly AnnaMaria... and thanks for sharing your story - you have good reason to be proud - the region is very rich in culture and history.
    The first settlers had to be very determined, hardy, and resourceful people.
    Yes, there were many new or different sensations, sights, and smells there... not the least of which was water - rivers, creeks, streams, lakes, and lots of them... certainly not like SoCal!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2016
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Love #5, followed by #2, for the period costumed human elements included in each.
    Thanks David! The fellow in #2 was very authentic looking, as was his shop... he had a nice pony-tail too.
    I was really stoked when the miller appeared at the window in #5 - sometimes we get lucky! thumb.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2016
    Eric - We should plan a shooting expedition in the Appalachians. Tom can be our guide! Whatcha think?

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2016
    I love these!
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2016
    redleash wrote: »
    Eric - We should plan a shooting expedition in the Appalachians. Tom can be our guide! Whatcha think?

Lauren
    Pretty good idea Lauren! thumb.gif
    Let's see what the Gentleman from Florida has to say about it!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2016
    Cornflake wrote: »
    I love these!

I feel the love! thumb.gif Thanks Don!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2016
    Welcome to the land where I grew up, my friend. Southern Appalachia will forever have a special place in my heart, and I always get excited when it's time to return for a spell.

Beautiful captures, thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2016
    Welcome to the land where I grew up, my friend. Southern Appalachia will forever have a special place in my heart, and I always get excited when it's time to return for a spell.

Beautiful captures, thanks for sharing.
    Thank-you JBR, and thanks for sharing your story too... I can now understand why folks love the Appalachians so much...
    I was so impressed with the people and places - I look forward to returning someday with more time for photography, and the food!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2016
    The " Gentleman from Florida " would like nothing better than to share with his friends the magic and splendor of the Southern Appalachians . I've spent a great amount of time over the last 40 years cruising the backroads and byways of this visually stunning area. Every turn in the road brings a scene that will send you grabbing for the camera.

I warn you, though. Any exposure to the sights, the foods, and the folks of this spectacular region will change you forever. The deeper you dive into the spirit and soul of the Appalachians, the greater the change will be.

The Fall of the year....preferably during October....would be best for staging a gathering of all interested parties. The Fall foliage colors are one of this Earth's greatest natural shows. Additionally, seemingly every little burg and village stages a local event during this time to celebrate life in the mountains. Other seasons, of course, bring other charms of the area to bear. But, if you're limited to a one-time shot, the Fall is the time to be there.

I'm ready....are you guys?

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2016
    I am definitely ready.......but please don't make me choose between autumn in Maine and autumn in Appalachia. Tom, what time in Oct would we want to plan for? The second half of the month would work best for me, if you think the scenics and the festivals would still be good then. I think it is time for us to quit saying we should do this and actually do it! :D

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com