Then and Now

grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
edited May 1, 2016 in Other Cool Shots
I thought I would post some photos of buildings and other locations taken many years apart of the same thing. I haven't thought of this as photos of people then and now, although sometimes there will be people in the photos and they may even be the main reason the photo was taken, but I am thinking that there will be some scenery around the people that is the same or different due to passage of time. Feel free to join in.

For instance this is a photo one of my parents took in Leningrad of Cath. of Our Lady of Kazan in 1970
R210-00830005.JPG

In 2009 when I visited what was now St. Petersburg with my granddaughter it was an Anti-Relig<wbr>. Museum
100_4231.JPG

My dad's photo of Mt. Rushmore in 1948
M0733-Media0003-7.JPG

Photo my grandson took of his mom, dad and sister in 2008
y1478.JPG

On a more mundane level - this is the house we lived in between 1966 and 1969 in Key West Florida

Then%2Band%2BNow3.jpg

Top photo 2011, bottom photo taken in 1968
“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Comments

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2016

On the right is the house we lived in c 1947. It has brown shingles and red shutters. It looks like my mom is standing on the porch

t0ygBZjP3bNo2hSv7lXcJXrx_iScQA-sWIHZQz3OYzEfsIX_Ylo-KnJTfyP_LSHOSFDDvD9gc0FRWMc=w648-h389

On the left is the same house in 2007. They've taken down our white picket fence, painted the shingles grey and the shutters white

On te left is the house we moved to in 1950 - taken in 1965. The asbestos shingles are unpainted and the trim is green

B74K76-mCZ_iLNf9sjYDzv1Ihzu0ld5QrqpLWvwmLOWuRoqjJT3KmVJYuSk79rTZXhWxiyKH0Wli9sM=w777-h389

My mom lived here until her death in 2006. On the right is the way it looked when we sold it in 2007 - outside has been completely repainted including the shingles.

edited March 30, 2013
    George Washington Bridge in 1952

M2690-01380014.JPG

Note lack of traffic. This was the best I could do in 2008

x100_0921.jpg

This is New Orleans in 1950 at Easter
    x0748-00550022-39.JPG

and this is about the same kind of scene in 2004 in December
    x100_4005.JPG

no horse and carriages here now - they are over in Jackson Square

Sundial in Woods Hole in 1952
    0748-00550022-49.JPG

And the same in 1972
    5678-90597_33.jpg
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2013
    It is very nice being able to see these pictures. Obviously you have taking a great deal of time and effort to bring these together and show them. Well done. For myself I know it could take me quite a
    spell to gather together anything like this. :D If I had even a small bit together I would join your start and show them. But I do not. rolleyes1.gif
    Michael
    edited December 10, 2016
    If I wasn't getting my parent's slides digitized and also going back and visiting where we lived in the past, I would not be able to do it either. But since I am and I do and I can, I'm happy that someone is interested to look at them. Some are more of a difference than others.

This was my college dorm as a freshman in 1955
    1Xpq5T52fVZXOhhakxU1iU1kAdmeokAk2BtACv4xORFri-D_AfBjwOL81sRwhPzi0MFCBU6jRlEeZWY=w777-h389

Now (2004) it is a co-ed coop which would have been unthinkable in 1959- girls were to keep their feet on the floor when they were in the public rooms (no lying on coaches or the floor).

The snowcovered building is the dorm I lived in between 1956 and 1959 - three years.
    The the same spot in 2004 - actually the building was gone by 1969 is a parking lot
    vR4Sl3QPvtW2nC0ftkqanl0H0JUyQ9ZjTxOdysKZA_2sxTDbMzuNKLm5FzPAgNFSjrV66JOsbbGBfvk=w648-h389

Here is a completely different area- This is Morning Glory Pool in 1948 in Yellowstone National Park

mwX0MsYvkedOlbWj1_3M3nTP9TjPbrZuqbRkmABq1797e-KJ3w0jF2e2Eu1bpoY7tnzj-oJLRDYtiMk=w648-h389

And this is the way it looked in 2010 - after generations of people throwing stuff in the pool and clogging up the vents
    edited December 10, 2016
    When we were first married in 1959, we lived in an apartment in Pensacola
    We have never found the second place we lived in 1960, but in June, we moved to Louisiana, and lived in this house in Jeanerette - it was a brand new house at that time. I was taking a photo of the rainbow. Our car is in the driveway. There was no mail delivery, street name or number (I got the mail General Delivery), but by following the directions I would give to the Navy Wives who would come to play bridge

51mXVrM_0MfXgwhpUW8Qt35Vn7ihBS2quwbQgf3fBWSWNfRNH8LjNf9sdVbkNFxBKNyT7s51l3WuzZs=w244-h389
    I found the house again in 2004

After this we spent a month in an efficiency motel on Willoughby Spit (I don't have a photo of it), and then two months in an efficiency apartment in Key West before we moved to the first house that we owned in Norfolk in 1961

5036160-8217_Nathan_Avenue_in_1961_Norfolk.jpg

This was the same house 50 years later in 2011

5036166-8217_Nathan_Avenue_in_2011_Norfolk.jpg

After this we moved to California. I haven't revisited that house. The next place we lived was Key West - the house I started with. After that we moved to Philadelphia, and then to RI. I haven't revisited those places.
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2013
    Great idea! Photography is taking thin slices of time, comparing different moments of the same place is fantastic. Even places that mean something to you, but not to the rest of us is great, because we can all relate tour own experiences of similar situations, a childhood house, an old school... Well done.
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2013
    Howdy,

Really love what you've done here, to have that kind of History,
    and to be able to go back and shoot the same images years later.

Hopefully, you have more to share !!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    edited December 10, 2016
    Thank you - I have lots more, I just have to match them up.

Now I've finished all the placed I've lived here is St. Martinsville - the Evangeline State Park - went for the first time in 1960 with my pregnant friend and her sister-in-law

BJHzm5TJamWAp-ms8CGbZgmLe2FDeowVBx4qvVk08miU-_1oZbS3q1zX7A41iViST1b0iICGKYIApho=w244-h389

Top picture was the photo I took of the Evangeline Oak in 1960. It was just standing in the middle of some grass.

By 2004, it had company - a gazebo and other structures. The 2004 photo was taken in December so it was decorated for Xmas

I found out also that it isn't the same tree. When the one designated as the Evangeline Oak dies or falls over, they just take the most picturesque tree in that area, and it becomes the Evangeline Oak
  • imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2013
    Incredible... thank you for sharing!
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

Images of Him Photography
    edited December 10, 2016

IMG_8178.JPG

A mural which depicts the town through time starting in the early days on the left and coming around to 1950 on the right

262565_2131706065917_6501696_n.jpg

This was taken about 2000 of the same area

zqc8VwkK9OEvZpO7kcbjxDpEeUCEGbCxfV1ajMpNo2vx7qURQFOF_Tw9p1WTqSAVDFpp3xXHC-XqaxQ=w503-h389

This is the right hand side of the street in 2013. McCrory's is gone. The Fenwick Hotel has had one side of the upper porch enclosed.

This was the only motel or place to stay in Leonardtown in the 1980s.

FgffWBd-PvELC8c1y-blqWvi5WnGEWNt2vQKxloST8Fn4KQG3j2dmSFZdPOfOoBuV4R7DtH583ukc0k=w971-h389

They tore it down about 6 years ago and replaced it with this building which is right on the street with the parking in the back

edited December 10, 2016
    These photos disappeared so what I have found is two photos taken in the mid 60s of St. Mary's Square

then%2B%2526%2Bnow11.jpg

The other photo was taken in 2013.

This is the little doll house (with Bob standing next to it) that was in the East Martello Tower museum in 1960

rHxMJxpXvm57SvtbVWBUWT2NU5-1N6TnbKrSPJNmHGMnqFO4ecu_3jdTp2LhwaonyU2Y2GbYsq8jFpc=w622-h389

Same dollhouse in 2011 - my sister is in it this time. They've replaced the railing with one that is easier to make.
  • superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2013
    This is spectacular for any era. To my eye it's very much in the style of William Eggleston.

x0603-00340001.jpg
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
    edited April 8, 2013
    Thank you for the compliment. I confess I had to look him up as I had never heard of him. When I did that, I found that he is two years younger than I am. Don't know if that is good or bad - obviously I haven't become a photography great like he has. Not yet anyway. :)

That was a photo I took when it was raining but the sun was out. My father taught me to look for rainbows under those circumstances and I found it right over the house where we were living at the time.
    edited December 10, 2016

This one was taken in my dad's home town in Colorado. We stayed in a tourist cabin, and used the gas station bathroom as there was none in the cabin. The picture shows my sister, me and my mom in 1948. Our new car is on the left

PqygcefSGTnHrNjwPX2uGTQ_Fi_kZrqJWS-DL3QcpCVcDcxuaWmqzzO6tJIJrlj3BpXontEUBLGLxv4=w777-h389

The other photo was taken in 1964 farther down the street but pointed in the same direction.

The house where my dad grew up was owned by Mr. Hess - this is Mr. Hess in 1948
    xwjlLQ-Lg4xbKqWcZIjMAQPMMaAA7mmXvLgz-i05KjsdR8ucTVhLKKkJKemh79Z56MrEQH5xxwv6T5s=w777-h389

My photo in 1964 has snow on it

edited December 10, 2016

From Copenhagen

This was the weather vane/thermometer in 1950 on the right
    z5sWypoVXEv7GUBKnIpQAlFnDw0-cEV0CySpBUc2Q9JJ-uo61JhYRQZcY5AoqFuJjWulRWwXjx8vsrg=w777-h389

when it still worked. This is the same place in 2009 on the left

edited July 20, 2013
    6767580-Ponce_de_Leon_hotel_in_1954_Saint_Augustine.jpg

Ponce de Leon hotel in 1954

2261243-Flagler_College_from_the_car_Saint_Augustine.jpg

This is now Ponce de Leon Hall of Flagler College
    edited September 17, 2014
    Choices.jpg

Key West Lighthouse 1967-2005

Collages.jpg

Gardens of Viscaya (Miami) 1967-2004

Then%2520and%2520Now4.jpg

inside Viscaya (1967-2005)
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    Monkeys indeed are mean creatures!rolleyes1.gif
    However, I had no idea Mermaid would be more shy 60 years later!headscratch.gif
    History rules!
    Cheers!
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    These are great fun! The only suggestion I have is that if you take more NOW, with the idea of them being sets, try to take them from the same spot that the earlier shot was. I realize that is not always possible, but when it is, I think it makes for a better comparison.
    Most all of the NOW pictures were taken without any idea that the THEN photo existed, and the pairs were only found sometimes later after we returned home. Sometimes in cases where I took the original THEN photo, I had a vague memory of the photo that I was copying, but often I did not even have that.
    edited April 15, 2016
    2008-04-02%2BNaples.jpg

Lighthouse in Naples 1964 and 2009

then%2B%2526%2Bnow7.jpg

Turtle Kraals in Key West (with turtles on the left - without turtles on the right) 1966 and 2011

then%2B%2526%2Bnow6.jpg

Oldest House in Key West - 1961 and 2005

Choices.jpg

Carillon tower in Bok Gardens Florida - 1967 and 2008
    edited April 15, 2016
    Then%2Band%2BNow4.jpg

Murals in Vizcaya - 1967 and 2004

Then%2Band%2BNow3.jpg

Our house - bottom 1967 and 2011
    edited April 15, 2016
    Very nice trip down the memory lane!
    edited April 24, 2016
    A couple from Antwerp Belgium. The THEN part taken by my dad in 1950 - the NOW part taken today

2016-04-24.jpg

Statues in Rubens garden - I couldn't climb the stairs to get to the exact vantage point Daddy took his photo from - and the statues are now under cover instead of being out in the open.

2016-04-242.jpg

Central railroad station in Antwerp. My photo (left( taken from a cab. The clock has obviously been replaced.

2016-04-241.jpg

Another view of the station - more trees in 1950 although it was in July when the original photo (on the left this time) was taken

then%2B%2526%2Bnow12.jpg

This one was taken in Vollendam in 1950 - a sepia Polaroid. I talked to a lady in the photography shop and she said that the middle building in the back of the girls was the very photography shop we were in. It is the same as the center building in the second photo.
    edited April 30, 2016
    then%2B%2526%2Bnow13.jpg

Recovered%2BAutosave.jpg

Cheese market in Alkmaar
    edited April 30, 2016
    Wow! How cool is that last shot! Bravo!!
    edited May 1, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Wow! How cool is that last shot! Bravo!!

Thank you - what was even cooler was the reason I was able to get it. Jane B suggested that I should try to replicate more exactly the old photos, and I said that often I did not know of the old ones until after I took my photo of the same thing. (My parents had over 10,000 slides and some were taken at a time that I was not there).

So before this trip, I went to my Dad's slides and photos from 1950 and printed out the ones that I could identify as the ones that were taken in the area we would be visiting.

In Antwerp, after the Rubens house tour, we got a cab and I showed him the photos of the Central Train station and the cab driver (who spoke little or no English, but more English than my French or German) took us to almost the exact spot where the photos were taken - I was able to crop the photos to match. He wanted to take a photo of my photo with his cell phone. So I gave him the prints.

But the best story is Alkmaar. The cheese market which was a really cheese market in 1950 has turned into a big big tourist attraction with busloads of people. I had gone to the town museum the day before (to get out of the rain) and showed the photos to the lady at the admissions desk and she called to her colleague who she said was a "Cheese Father". He looked at the photo and knew who the men were (both dead now), and asked me to bring the photo to the cheese market the next day.

When we got there, people were standing four or five deep around the whole large market square and from the scooter, I could see very little and could not even hear very well what the woman with the microphone was saying - couldn't even see the big TV screen very well. It started to rain and we went into the cheese museum, and I showed the photo to the old man who was cutting up cheese for people to try and asked about the Cheese Father. He said the Cheese Father was currently busy, but eventually he came with another old man. The Cheese Father looked at the photo and started to fumble for his glasses, but couldn't find them. I realized that he really couldn't see the photo, so I asked Bob (my husband) to give him his reading glasses. And he also identified the two men and also said they were dead (not a surprise as they would probably be over 100 years old now, if still living). He asked if he could have the photo for their museum, and I was happy for them to have it. And then I asked if there was someplace I could go where I could see better, and he took me past the barriers right to the front, which was where I took the photos. They move so fast that I used the sports setting on the camera to get rapid fire shots.

The difference between my photo and my dad's photo is that I was sitting with my back to the weigh house and my dad was in front of the weigh house and the weigh house was in the background. I think also that the carriers were standing still for my dad.

I took a video with my cell phone of it

https://www.facebook.com/gmbeasley/videos/vb.1643993700/10208209503668986/?type=2&theater¬if_t=video_processed¬if_id=1462020202107055
    edited December 10, 2016

I did the same thing this past October (printed out the photos so I could duplicate them). This is the little courthouse square in Gloucester Virginia. One side is Feb 1962 and the other side is October 2016

I love you "then and now" series!