Mini Challenge #226: Machinery

pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins
edited May 20, 2016 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hello fellow Dgrinners,
The theme for Mini-Challenge #220 is: Machinery
For this mini challenge I’m going to send you looking for big and impressive machinery. It can be anything from Bulldozers, Building equipment, Chemical Plants, Refineries, Cranes, Trains etc. etc. As long as they're impressive, big and have moving parts they're fair game. Obviously I'll be looking for nice pictures with good compositions.
Time period for this Mini challenge will be: Today, Sunday May 1 thru Tuesday May 17, 11:00 am (Brussels/Paris/Rome)
Happy shooting,
Pieter

************************************************** *******************************************
Usual Stuff:

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and YOU POST 1-3 IMAGES. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter. The 1st place winner becomes the next host, chooses the next topic and becomes the next judge.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
5. You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
6. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post, change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (See here for help).
7. Don't be hesitant; share 'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round, your first step is coming up with a new theme and starting a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging, start a new thread (again using the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up. It is important to have runners up in case the winner does not show within the 72-hour window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72 hours to set up the next mini-challenge.
7. If the winner does not show/start the next mini-challenge after 72 hours, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the next mini challenge!

************************************************** *******************************************

Here’s some examples from my own gallery:

1:
LEO_A6000_04022_20150823.jpg

2:
PEG_NEX6_1_05976_20141010.jpg

3:
PEG_A850_09253_20130502.jpg

In case you have questions just ask, and I'll try to explain further.
Pieter, aka pegelli
My SmugMug

Comments

• travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2016
    Wow Pieter, this is a very interesting subject! I'm sure it will be fun :D

Wonderful examples too clap.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited May 1, 2016
    I'll start :)

- Again I have too many photos, and it's hard to choose (I may replace 1, or two...)

1. Agricultural machinery in Canada

2. Hig Roller Wheel in Las Vegas

High Roller Las Vegas

3. Windmill in Germany

Windmill
    Travelways.com
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2016
    I'm glad to see the windmill. I also have lots of photos. As long as trains count, how about planes or bridges? (The ones that move are bascule, lift, swing or pontoon)
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2016
    grandmaR wrote: »
    I'm glad to see the windmill. I also have lots of photos. As long as trains count, how about planes or bridges? (The ones that move are bascule, lift, swing or pontoon)
    I've said in the intro "As long as they're impressive, big and have moving parts they're fair game. " so I guess they are OK. But I would expect (as the judge in this challenge) that the moving parts will be visible in the picture.
    Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
    edited May 2, 2016
    travelways wrote: »
    I'll start :)

- Again I have too many photos, and it's hard to choose (I may replace 1, or two...)
    Don't we all headscratch.gif. Feel free to swap out pictures until close to closing time. I'll try to avoid pre-judging before all entries are in. And thanks for participating, although I had no doubts you would join mwink.gif
    Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2016
    pegelli wrote: »
    I've said in the intro "As long as they're impressive, big and have moving parts they're fair game. " so I guess they are OK. But I would expect (as the judge in this challenge) that the moving parts will be visible in the picture.

I do have some good photos of bridges, with moving parts visible, but instead I'll do some other boat related machinery. This is a travel lift - It's job is to pick up a boat from the water, and move it around onto land. The boat it is hauling has a displacement of 38000 lbs. when new, not counting added equipment, 100 gallons of diesel and 400 gallons of water.

#1 - Travelift
    100_5235.JPG

This is another example of ship moving machinery, only in this case the ship remains in the water - these are the electricity-powered donkey engines that pull ships through the Panama Canal locks on railroad tracks laid parallel to the locks.

#2 Donkey Engines
    f100_2546%2B1614x1152.jpg

And last - a Dredge which I call

#3 Edward Scissorhands Dredge.

01-Picture%2B764.jpg

I took the photo because of the Day Shapes that are displayed on the upright masts. These shapes tell other boats whether the dredge is making-way, anchored, or aground. At night these signals are conveyed with lights.

<table class="wikitable"><tbody><tr><td>Anchored</td><td>Ball</td><td>
    </td></tr><tr><td>Constrained by draft</td><td>Cylinder</td></tr><tr><td>Aground</td><td>3 balls (vert. line)</td><td>> 12m</td></tr><tr><td>Not under command</td><td>2 balls (vert. line)</td><td>> 12m</td></tr><tr><td>Restricted in ability to maneuver</td><td>1 ball+1 diamond+1 ball</td></tr></tbody></table>

You can see the scale of the dredge if you look at the man in the aqua shirt on the 'ladder' (stairs)
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • sdways01sdways01 Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2016
    Here are my entries...

HoosacTunnel0642-L.jpg
    Train coming out the East Portal of the Hoosac Tunnel

Fall3760-L.jpg
    Conway Scenic RR train crossing the Willey Brook Bridge during foliage season

FlumeLiberty3400-L.jpg
    Army National Guard helicopter doing a fly by of Mt. Flume (4,328 ft) during the 2011 Flags on the 48 event
    http://www.adamclarkmedia.com

"If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?" - Anonymous
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2016
    Here are mine:

1) Biplane - Auburn Airport

HDR%20biplane%202-X2.jpg

2) Old Tractor - Cedar Point Ranch, Mariposa, Ca.

TRACTOR%20sepia2%20signed-X2.jpg

3) Daisy's Engine = our 41 Chevy.

IMG_7401%20Daisy%20engine-X2.jpg
    edited May 6, 2016
    pegelli wrote: »
    Don't we all headscratch.gif. Feel free to swap out pictures until close to closing time. I'll try to avoid pre-judging before all entries are in. And thanks for participating, although I had no doubts you would join mwink.gif

Sorry - I don't know why I am so stressed... rolleyes1.gif

I'll not change them :)
    Travelways.com
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2016
    I'm not much of a machine photographer but I've dug through and found a few to add to the mix.

1) The candle factory across the street from me went out of business about 10 years ago and the complex made up of buildings from the 16th-mid 20th century is just now being torn down for alas, a big apartment complex. It was a months-long process - this one caterpillar operator took apart all of the buildings practically brick-by-brick, separating all of the different building materials for recycling. He was a true artist with those pincers!

20150804_022_DMC-G5-X2.jpg

2) Detail: 1899 Hanomag Steam Engine, Oberviechtach, Germany

20140612_038_DMC-G5-X2.jpg

3) Portable distillery, Sarlat-la-Caneda, France, 19th c.(?)

20150719_041_DMC-G5-X2.jpg
  • sdways01sdways01 Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2016
    Past the closing deadline, any update on the results?
    http://www.adamclarkmedia.com

"If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?" - Anonymous
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2016
    Pieter had said in a previous post that he was going to be on vacation for 10 days or so. I am assuming that either he's not back yet or has been busy since he got back.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited May 20, 2016
    I sent him a pm to see what's up. If I do not hear back a response in 24 hours, I will finish this mini challenge off by selecting the winner. Thank you all for your patience.
    edited May 20, 2016
    Oops, thanks for the reminder PM JAG, totally forgot I had a "duty" here and was so busy after my vacation that I didn't have to to visit Dgrin yet.

I'll take a look and post the results in a short while.
    Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug