NEW: Even Better Bulk Settings, Copying Pages, and more

leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
edited October 26, 2016 in SmugMug Product News
I'm pleased to announce a couple exciting releases today:

(NEW) Better Bulk Settings: You can now edit the settings for all the galleries in your site, all the galleries within a series of folders, or a mix of folders and galleries! Now if you select a folder, we'll give you the option to open folder settings or bulk gallery settings. If you choose bulk gallery settings, we'll update every gallery beneath that folder. It's a recursive action, so we'll update every gallery in the folder you've selected, which includes every gallery in its subfolders and so on.

A couple of other notes:
-You can select a combination of folders and galleries and we'll open bulk gallery settings
-If you select the root node and open settings that will let you update every gallery on your site
-There were no changes to the settings available or anything else about how bulk gallery settings are applied

(NEW) Support Heroes can now copy "Pages". If you have a Page you'd like to copy, let one of the Heroes know. We're working on making the page copier available to all of you while we figure out how to integrate it properly into the Organizer.

(NEW) When selecting a "Background" you can now source the background image or slideshow from "Recent Photos".

(FIXED) Fixed a bug in allowing a Pro to save Contacts from their "Order History" into their Address Book
dGrin Afficionado
Former SmugMug Product Team
aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations

Comments

• AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2016
    Excellent news Aaron!!!
    Sounds brilliant - will make updating my website so much easier.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited May 4, 2016
    leftquark wrote: »
    (NEW) Better Bulk Settings: You can now edit the settings for all the galleries in your site, all the galleries within a series of folders, or a mix of folders and galleries!
    Thank you! That will make (future) adjustments to my site much easier.

--- Denise
  • agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2016
    Thank you!
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • markderrymarkderry Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2016
    Awesome!!!!!
    edited May 7, 2016
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2016
    Where, exactly, are these new features? How do access them?
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited May 9, 2016
    Where, exactly, are these new features? How do access them?
    If you select multiple galleries (or folders) in Organizer then click settings you will be taken to the bulk settings dialog. If you select a folder you will be given the option to go to settings for that folder or to settings for all galleries in the folder.

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1240194-how-do-i-change-settings-for-multiple-galleries-at-once-

--- Denise
    edited May 9, 2016
    If you select multiple galleries (or folders) in Organizer then click settings you will be taken to the bulk settings dialog. If you select a folder you will be given the option to go to settings for that folder or to settings for all galleries in the folder.
    Thanks, Denise, but all the settings are greyed-out! I'm just not doing it right.

Update: D'uh - I needed to activate the checkbox(s)!
  • ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2016
    Thanks, Denise, but all the settings are greyed-out! I'm just not doing it right.

Update: D'uh - I needed to activate the checkbox(s)!

rolleyes1.gifrofl
    Hah! I wish I had read this after you updated it. I went looking for the answer and was about to agree with you that the settings were all greyed out.
    edited May 10, 2016
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    rolleyes1.gifrofl
    To my way of thinking, there's something odd about having to tick a greyed-out box to enable selection of a greyed-out option, but once you know how it works, I guess it can become intuitive! :D
    edited May 10, 2016
    Great ideas here... not sure I understand the rules though.

- I started to do one test in one folder that has only 2 galleries, where one has a lot of customization, and the other has none, but I hesitated: If I have galleries in a folder where some of them have some customization, and some don't, and I opt to "set settings for all galleries in the folder", do all customizations in all galleries get overridden and replaced by whichever new settings I click on or off? Or would the settings that I don't touch while setting them using the bulk method, stay as I had them (so some settings are different in different galleries, and because I didn't click those settings in the bulk method, they weren't touched). Argh, hope I'm clear.

- I did start to adjust all galleries in one folder, but when I clicked to save, I got the attached. Was I supposed to click and highlight all the galleries inside the folder that I wanted the bulk customization to apply to? I had highlighted none - was that a mistake? I opted to back out and do nothing until I could understand what gets applied to what and when.

clap.gifclap
    edited May 10, 2016
    Great ideas here... not sure I understand the rules though.
    The label on the bottle says "you're applying the checked settings to every selected gallery ..." and that seems to be the way it's working for me. In my case, I've wanted to (only) remove the slideshow option from all galleries, so that's all I clicked, and that's all that happened, as far as I can see.

I've been wanting something like this for a long time, so I'm a happy camper!
    edited May 10, 2016
    To my way of thinking, there's something odd about having to tick a greyed-out box to enable selection of a greyed-out option, but once you know how it works, I guess it can become intuitive! :D

You triggered another question for me: I think this is correct, that it's not possible to see what the CURRENT settings are when one accesses the bulk area. Correct? So if you have some galleries in a folder with some settings, and others with other settings, when you open up the bulk settings, nothing will differentiate any of it. I mean, I could imagine this:

- If all galleries shared the same 3x photo size, the color of that setting could be BOLD (or Blue, or whatever), to tell you that 3x currently applies to all.

- If some galleries have comments on, and some have comments off, that setting could be plain grey. That would tell me "if you're planning on changing this setting, be aware that not all your galleries currently have this setting". Then I'd have to go back and double-check that I'm not about to make a change I'll regret.
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited May 11, 2016
    If I have galleries in a folder where some of them have some customization, and some don't, and I opt to "set settings for all galleries in the folder", do all customizations in all galleries get overridden and replaced by whichever new settings I click on or off?
    "Customizations" aren't touched by gallery settings. The bulk settings only impacts Gallery Settings, not your customizations in the Customizer.

If you mean gallery settings, then yes, anything with the check-mark will get set to what the check-mark says.
    Or would the settings that I don't touch while setting them using the bulk method, stay as I had them (so some settings are different in different galleries, and because I didn't click those settings in the bulk method, they weren't touched). Argh, hope I'm clear.
    If you don't click the check mark, those settings will NOT be touched. So if I just wanted to turn "Download Buttons" OFF for every gallery, I could check "Download Buttons" and set it to OFF, without changing anything else in all of those galleries.
    You triggered another question for me: I think this is correct, that it's not possible to see what the CURRENT settings are when one accesses the bulk area. Correct?
    Correct
    dGrin Afficionado
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2016
  • TeachTeach Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2016
    At this time we do not have any updates on the "copy page" feature.
    Heather
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited August 17, 2016
    Feel free to email the support heroes if you'd like to copy a page and we can take care of you, however, at this time, we don't have a customer facing option for this.
    dGrin Afficionado
  • AndyEllenAndyEllen Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2016
    Copying pages
    In addition to copying the entire page, the ability to copy a single object (text box) would be good. Normal windows copy/paste does not carry formatting into a text box when pasted.

This will help when archiving Home Page objects (unless your new "copy page" functions can do this)

I'm pleased to announce a couple exciting releases today:

(NEW) Better Bulk Settings: You can now edit the settings for all the galleries in your site, all the galleries within a series of folders, or a mix of folders and galleries! Now if you select a folder, we'll give you the option to open folder settings or bulk gallery settings. If you choose bulk gallery settings, we'll update every gallery beneath that folder. It's a recursive action, so we'll update every gallery in the folder you've selected, which includes every gallery in its subfolders and so on.

A couple of other notes:
    -You can select a combination of folders and galleries and we'll open bulk gallery settings
    -If you select the root node and open settings that will let you update every gallery on your site
    -There were no changes to the settings available or anything else about how bulk gallery settings are applied

(NEW) Support Heroes can now copy "Pages". If you have a Page you'd like to copy, let one of the Heroes know. We're working on making the page copier available to all of you while we figure out how to integrate it properly into the Organizer.

(NEW) When selecting a "Background" you can now source the background image or slideshow from "Recent Photos".

(FIXED) Fixed a bug in allowing a Pro to save Contacts from their "Order History" into their Address Book
  • Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2016

Any updates on this?
    edited October 26, 2016
    Darter02 wrote: »
    Any updates on this?

Your best bet as of now is to still email the Support Heroes. We've been hard at work on some other priorities.
    dGrin Afficionado