Options

Possibility of naming new "elements"

Lille UlvenLille Ulven Registered Users Posts: 567 Major grins
edited May 11, 2016 in SmugMug Feature Requests
Hi.

What I would like to see in a future version of Smugmug is a way of naming my added content blocks, so that they get easy identifiable on the content-block overview (right side of the screen). This of course would mainly make sense for CSS blocks and possibly HTML blocks and not so much for others, but it won't harm having it for all of them :):

As of now I could add several CSS blocks to one gallery, for example, but would have no idea of what these contain code wise from the right-side "Used content block" overview. So in order to find a certain adjustment I would have to search through every single one of them.
Not so nice...
So I suspect most of us add one CSS block per element-type (entire page / gallery / unique gallery ...) and then have to search through all these in order to find the line of code they need to change. These results (at least on my page) in CSS blocks that are long and partly not very well sorted (my bad), so one might end up duplicating code just to make small adjustments that then should be valid for the entire element anyway.

But if we instead could add several CSS blocks per element-type and had a possibility of naming them we could create blocks named for example
CSS_media_wide_screen
CSS_links
CSS_photo_border
And once we came to the point were either something did not work out as planned or we just fancied to change stuff, hey it would be rather simple...I want to change a photo border...I don't need to go and look through 2000 lines of CSS in 15 CSS blocks...I only need to find the CSS_photo_border block and make my changes.
Now comes the scary part: if these names were additionally reflected in the naming of those CSS files hey one could find out which of these blocks to change by using web developer tools from the browsers too...

I do believe that this might increase the maintainability of our sites both for us, the site owners but also for the super support-heroes when we owners get stuck on errors we cannot quite explain. :)

Yea, I know it is written from a coder's perspective and might be too much for those of us who don't make large changes to their code, but then the naming could be optional (or enforced by automatic unique numbers as soon as the second CSS box is added)...eventually I guess many here would see the maintainability of their pages increase though. :wink

Hope this would be possible to implement one day. And yea, as usual I would have added it to the suggestions page, but I ran out of votes long ago -- and still believe in the cases I put my votes on initially :D

Thanks for reading & listening

Lille Ulven
https://www.lilleulven.smugmug.com - The Photos of my travels

Comments

• Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited May 10, 2016
    Wonderful suggestion Lille. We'll keep it in mind. I too, struggle with having multiple of the same content block, and never know which is which. This would be helpful.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,010 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2016
    Since Smug shows all content blocks in "on this page" section on right flyout, at least mark each with what level it applies.
    Also add ability to name each widget.

CSS > "all levels" "general page stuff"
    CSS > "all levels" "menu 1 stuff"
    CSS > "all levels" "menu 2 stuff"
    CSS > "all ..."
    CSS > "just this ..."
    HTML > "all ..."
    HTML > "just this ..." "upper L"
    HTML > "just this ..." "upper R"
    HTML > "just this ..." "bottom Center"
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    Lille UlvenLille Ulven Registered Users Posts: 567 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2016
    Good to know I have some support for my idea from you guys :)
    https://www.lilleulven.smugmug.com - The Photos of my travels