Options

Can't sort galleries?

Karenl39Karenl39 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
edited November 27, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I've been trying to figure out how to arrange my galleries within a category. I cannot figure it out. When I click on the "position" button, nothing happens. How can I arrange the galleries within a category?

Thanks,

Karen

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2005
    Karenl39 wrote:
    I've been trying to figure out how to arrange my galleries within a category. I cannot figure it out. When I click on the "position" button, nothing happens. How can I arrange the galleries within a category?

Thanks,

Karen

this help page should help you out ...

once you click "position" then the next screen shows you position(organize) click on organize and there you'll see the organize page.

hope this helps,
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2005
    andy wrote:

once you click "position" then the next screen shows you position(organize) click on organize and there you'll see the organize page.

hope this helps,
    May I post a similar problem? As my gallery count passed 100, I noticed that every now and then, I would click "(organize)" and organize my galleries, click "save" and come back to my main page, ...and they wouldn't be organized. I talked with Don via help@smugug about this I think, and decided it wasn't a problem with the cache or anything. I had to delete a few galleries to get them to be organizable again. Now that I've created a few more galleries recently, I'm beginning to see the problem again, but not in full force yet. I guess it's just a problem with my computer, and if so I'm getting an extra gig of ram and some other upgrades soon, so we'll see...

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    MrSandmanMrSandman Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2005
    Is this feature not working? I just tried to sort galleries by position and it kept reverting back to the sub-categories screen.

May I post a similar problem? As my gallery count passed 100, I noticed that every now and then, I would click "(organize)" and organize my galleries, click "save" and come back to my main page, ...and they wouldn't be organized. I talked with Don via help@smugug about this I think, and decided it wasn't a problem with the cache or anything. I had to delete a few galleries to get them to be organizable again. Now that I've created a few more galleries recently, I'm beginning to see the problem again, but not in full force yet. I guess it's just a problem with my computer, and if so I'm getting an extra gig of ram and some other upgrades soon, so we'll see...

-Matt-
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2005
    Andy wrote:

hope this helps,
    No it doesn't. Maybe I didn't clearly state my issue. I am trying to organize some galleries that are in a category. I have 32 galleries in the category. I have 163 galleries total. I currently only want to organize the 32. When I am at the category level and see just the 32 galleries and I click organize, then the page comes up to organize them and all 163 are there.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2005
    bham wrote:
    No it doesn't. Maybe I didn't clearly state my issue. I am trying to organize some galleries that are in a category. I have 32 galleries in the category. I have 163 galleries total. I currently only want to organize the 32. When I am at the category level and see just the 32 galleries and I click organize, then the page comes up to organize them and all 163 are there.

Hi, Thanks for posting.

Your question is a simple one but there is not a simple answer. Currently there is not a way to organize only the galleries in a Subcategory or Category. You can only organize all of your galleries. I realize that is not a great option for you since you have so many galleries, but it is the only option currently.

Our engineers are aware of this problem for you. It is not a problem for the majority of our users, but hopefully a solution will be coming some time in the future.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2005
    Karen, you might have to bite the bullet like I did. Organized all the galleries in one swoop. Once there, it's
    easy to keep up with any changes. New galleries seem to go to the top so I go into "organize" and
    move it down to the category group with it's mates.

Anytime categories or sub-categories show on any page, Smugmug locates the first gallery in the
    organize list and puts that cat/subcat first. Then the next gallery second and so on. It only
    needs to find one gallery of a category for its position. The other galleries in the category can be
    anywhere below.

Plan: Group all galleries in a category together and move the group for sort order.

This is how I started: Set sort by position.
    Decide what order you want your categories to be shown in. Select all the galleries in
    the category you want to show first and send to end. Sort that group galleries. For
    the next category select its set of galleries and send to end. Sort those. Do this for all
    the other categories and you’ll end with all the gallery groups/categories sorted. The
    first category will eventually end on top.

Now when a new gallery is added go into “organize” and move the new gallery down to
    its category/gallery group.

I can now find the group of galleries for a category and place in the order I want the
    galleries to show in. I currently have 192 galleries organized this way and its made my
    life much easier.
    AL
    PS Don't forget to pick unselect before moving another set.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2005
    My error, I thought I started this thread, but I started a similar one yesterday and was titled "Organizing galleries" and I clicked on this one today and replied without realizing it, that's why I responded to Andy's comment. But its a closely related issue, so oh well.

Thanks for the info Allen, I guess with 163 galleries I need to do that. Great suggestions.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me