Do you have a question?

HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
edited June 11, 2016 in People
There have got to be many folks out there who have a question that needs answered, no matter how simple or complex. We have enough talent here that someone should be able to help out. There is sooo much mis-information out there I hope we might be able to clear it up.

If you feel it is too simple or "dumb" message me and I will post it anonymously. What camera do I need, what's an f stop, what do all those numbers on the lens mean, what is a MWAC or DWAC, etc, etc, etc.

This is meant to be an open discussion with no prickly hairs among those speaking. If someone has a different view that is great, just an honest open discussion. There are many ways to get somewhere, just get there.

Comments

• WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2016
    Great thread starter Charles! I am sure there is quite a few folks out there with questions. It is common to feel like "you should know everything" without really knowing it.

I will admit to not knowing what your acronyms mean.... and I have no reservations for putting my work up to be "hacked" apart mwink.gif or to ask advice from the community at large, it's how we learn.

So... what do you acronyms mean? I am sure it will make blindingly simple sense when you tell me, but i'll bite.... ? headscratch.gif

Cheers
    Lee Wiren
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2016
    Hackbone wrote: »
    There have got to be many folks out there who have a question that needs answered, no matter how simple or complex. We have enough talent here that someone should be able to help out. There is sooo much mis-information other there I hope we might be able to clear it up.

If you feel it is too simple or "dumb" message me and I will post it anonymously. What camera do I need, what's an f stop, what do all those numbers on the lens mean, what is a MWAC or DWAC, etc, etc, etc.

This is meant to be an open discussion with no prickly hairs among those speaking. If someone has a different view that is great, just an honest open discussion. There are many ways to get somewhere, just get there.

Do you like chocolate ice cream?

Sam
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2016
    MWAC......mom with a camera
    DWAC......dad with a camera

If you've not seen this lady you have to check her out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S3NFW2c7hA

She was up to about 25 episodes. How do you take her.

Sam......butter pecan.
    edited May 11, 2016
    OK, got some ballerinas coming in Monday so I was playing around with some Christmas lights for a bkg effect. Chimped the back of the camera and said "oh my" the color is horrid. Well, camera set to flash and I wasn't using the flash box just the modeling light which is tungsten. Hit the menu button and changed the lighting to tungsten and the color improved. Next post.
    edited May 11, 2016
    OK, color is much better with the proper light set in camera.

Who says you need expensive flash equip. This is just a tungsten light bulb in a soft box.

Got to do something about Lucie's bad shoulder.
    edited May 11, 2016
    Now I'm using the strobe and I wanted a larger f stop to blur the bulbs in the bkg but the flash had too much power and I could not set it low enough......what to do.

Well I moved that sucker back and that dropped the power but still too much so I aimed the box away from "Lucie", that's what I call her and she does just about anything I want and doesn't complain, way away more toward me and that got the power down for a decent exposure.
    edited May 11, 2016
    And the pull back. One flash with reflector.
  • WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2016
    What to do..... maybe try the flash as your fill on Lucie and set your silver reflector to take the excess of that fill and bounce it on the bg so that it's lit but not as bright as before......?? That may leave the fill to be too much on Lucie.... but you could use a gobo to correct that......
    Lee Wiren
    edited May 11, 2016

Sam......butter pecan.

Alrighty then: Obnoxiously gooey sweet- Success
    Funny: Hit or miss
    25 youtube episodes: Shows you don't need any lasting knowledge or talent
    Choice of husband: Beyond lucky (he has to have the patience of a dozen saints)
    Kids: poor things :cry
    Neighbors: Must have incredible skills at getting from the car into the house in stealth mode.
    Church pastor: Why do you think he fell of the wagon?
    Local school board officials: The reason Valium stock has risen so high.
    Local police: No longer patrol her street

Sam :D

PS: Do you like chocolate ice cream?

Just in case you didn't realize, this question is one used in psychological profiling. :D
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2016

Nearly hit the stop button at about 19sec, but managed to last to 51 before actually doing so and saving bandwidth.

Delivery and mannerisms way OTT for my tastes.

pp

Good idea for a thread, btw - especially if Mr(s) Google is hazy / ambiguous etc about answers.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2016
    Charles, your iso all the way down? Can you HSS sync to up your shutter speed more? Actually, if it's constant lighting, sync speed won't matter anyway. All else fails, ND filter?,

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    edited May 12, 2016
    Is there a reason your background is cocked to the side?

As to strobe power, you could add more diffusion material and or as divamum stated use an ND filter.

Another approach might be to shoot the background and subject separately, process each separately and then merge.

Sam
    edited May 12, 2016
    This was just an exercise thrown together quickly to check how the lights would look with different f stops and lens. Not totally happy with the look so it will be changed. Maybe smaller lights or just forgotten.
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2016
    ah, the infamous inverse square law :)
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
    edited May 13, 2016
    Foques wrote: »

It's a good law to know.
    edited May 14, 2016
    Foques wrote: »

It's meaningless, A simple executive order and it's a law no more. :D

Sam
    edited May 18, 2016
    I hoped this would be a thread starter but maybe not!
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2016
    OK, color is much better with the proper light set in camera.

Who says you need expensive flash equip. This is just a tungsten light bulb in a soft box.

Got to do something about Lucie's bad shoulder.

How about trying a layer of semi transparent material over the background/lights, stretched tight, to mute things a bit?
    edited May 18, 2016
    This was just experimenting. Do you have any questions about what your needs are out there?
  • williaeswilliaes Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2016
    This was just experimenting. Do you have any questions about what your needs are out there?

Staying with your experiment; Try using your strobe with softbox shooting it 180 away from your subject into your fill board. Your fill board becomes your light source and reduces it a couple of stops again. It has worked for me in the past when I didn't have enough room to move it back farther. It also makes for a bigger light source. Maybe?? Just an idea
    2 Corinthians 9:15

williamspics.smugmug.com
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2016

Sam......butter pecan.

Goodness
    After one clip I had to wonder if she's kidding and she's a satirist and just poking fun at the whole thing.
    P is for "professional"
    Sadly though I've met people like this and though I have a fair amount of patience I draw the line at doing other peoples work for them.
    Not long ago I was at a baptism shooting for my family at a Catholic Church
    There was a foray of people there with DSLR's
    One young lady in particular had a brand new just acquired Canon 7D with a kit lens.
    She approached me and asked why her images were coming out blurry
    I explained that her kit lens was not suitable for low light but I showed her how to set the camera up for best possible results given what she had to work with.
    After 25 minutes or so she came back to me because she was having focus issues as well.
    I helped her out but no sooner than five minutes had passed and she came to ask if I could use my camera to take pictures of all the patrons for her.
    I asked what she was doing here and she said she was trying to get pictures to sell to the parents of their just baptized children.
    I kindly declined explaining that I was here specifically for my family and that I did not feel comfortable taking pictures of other people's children.

Just having a camera does not even guarantee your pictures will even turn out properly and yes I guess there are really people like that out there.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2016

Sam......butter pecan.
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    Goodness
    After one clip I had to wonder if she's kidding and she's a satirist and just poking fun at the whole thing.
    P is for "professional"
    Sadly though I've met people like this and though I have a fair amount of patience I draw the line at doing other peoples work for them.
    Not long ago I was at a baptism shooting for my family at a Catholic Church
    There was a foray of people there with DSLR's
    One young lady in particular had a brand new just acquired Canon 7D with a kit lens.
    She approached me and asked why her images were coming out blurry
    I explained that her kit lens was not suitable for low light but I showed her how to set the camera up for best possible results given what she had to work with.
    After 25 minutes or so she came back to me because she was having focus issues as well.
    I helped her out but no sooner than five minutes had passed and she came to ask if I could use my camera to take pictures of all the patrons for her.
    I asked what she was doing here and she said she was trying to get pictures to sell to the parents of their just baptized children.
    I kindly declined explaining that I was here specifically for my family and that I did not feel comfortable taking pictures of other people's children.

Just having a camera does not even guarantee your pictures will even turn out properly and yes I guess there are really people like that out there.

Ha ha, after a few more clips, yeah, she's poking fun.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2016
    reyvee61 wrote: »

By pure definition, that is the description of the professional photographer. Doing the job others cannot do :D
    Steve

Website