Updated: Stats No Longer Count Owner Views

2»

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited May 19, 2016
    I've recently started seeing owner views in stats for the desktop. I reported it to the help desk and they said they were looking at it, but no solution so far. headscratch.gif
  • phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2016
    Richard wrote: »
    I've recently started seeing owner views in stats for the desktop. I reported it to the help desk and they said they were looking at it, but no solution so far. headscratch.gif

Well... that can not be owner views only... i have more then 1000 hits today while i have all my folders set to "private" (i even changed the URL and the main photo folder name). And i have for sure not watched thousands of photos from various folders or galleries... I think the current count must include the views from the help desk or from the smugmug dev team.

Best thing is to ignore the SmugMug stats... eek7.gif
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited May 19, 2016
    My views have skyrocketed (desktop), and I swear my own views are now reflected in the stats, as about two weeks ago. My referrers indicate that views from my own site are about half of my numbers. Haven't seen it that high before from my own site - my guess is the difference is from my own visitations. Is that when the link changes went live with "photos.smugmug,com/*" began? Related perhaps?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited May 20, 2016
    phaserbeam wrote: »
    Well... that can not be owner views only... i have more then 1000 hits today while i have all my folders set to "private" (i even changed the URL and the main photo folder name). And i have for sure not watched thousands of photos from various folders or galleries... I think the current count must include the views from the help desk or from the smugmug dev team.

Best thing is to ignore the SmugMug stats... eek7.gif
    Yes, it definitely includes help desk views, but that's no problem--I can pretty easily identify those in my Statcounter logs. Still, the SM stats should not include my own, logged on views at all.
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited May 20, 2016
    David_S85 wrote: »
    My views have skyrocketed (desktop), and I swear my own views are now reflected in the stats, as about two weeks ago. My referrers indicate that views from my own site are about half of my numbers. Haven't seen it that high before from my own site - my guess is the difference is from my own visitations. Is that when the link changes went live with "photos.smugmug,com/*" began? Related perhaps?

Hmm... they shouldn't be. I'll check with the team and see.

The change in CDN's didn't go live until tonight, though it's currently just in a 2-3 day test. Once the new CDN is completely live, I'll make an announcement in the Product News forum.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • HaraldEHaraldE Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2016
    Morning,

Once you prevented all views from the mobile, both visitors and owners. I believe this would be the best in the current situation. This would at least eliminate one source of possible wrong views.

I would be very happy if all the mobile views were taken away till it is absolutly sure that only owner views are shown

Regards, Harald
    ==================
    My focus is on digitizing memories
    edited May 21, 2016
    This morning we pushed a fix that should once again discount owner views- we had made some changes to the way we gather and deliver photos to you, trying to be more efficient and not deliver sizes that you don't need, and it caused a glitch with the Stats that should be fixed. Please let me know if you still see any issues
    dGrin Afficionado
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • HaraldEHaraldE Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2016
    leftquark wrote: »
    This morning we pushed a fix that should once again discount owner views- we had made some changes to the way we gather and deliver photos to you, trying to be more efficient and not deliver sizes that you don't need, and it caused a glitch with the Stats that should be fixed. Please let me know if you still see any issues
    Morning,

Thanks for info. Can you be a bit more precise about the mobile views, thanks.
    > Are my own views counted from my mobile?
    > Is anything counted when a new gallery is downloaded to my mobile?

Regards, Harald
    ==================
    My focus is on digitizing memories
    edited May 22, 2016
    leftquark wrote: »
    This morning we pushed a fix that should once again discount owner views
    thumb.gif
    edited May 23, 2016
    Mobile views too.
    dGrin Afficionado
  • phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2016
    Are you really sure SmugMug does not count owner views?
    I re-created my site and changed the URL... and still get hundreds of views every day.

Really, i don't care, i know i can't trust the SmugMug stats, but are you really sure you only count visitors?

Last week i started to play again with my website after a long break. I'm always logged into my account, since i needed to customize my site. But what about such an increase of views?
  • photoclickphotoclick Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2016
    Is it possible that while you were playing with your website, being logged in, you wanted to check how it looks for an outside visitor and you (possibly) visited your website from a different browser, or from the mobile device (to see how it looks on smaller screen) ?
  • FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2016
    photoclick wrote: »
    Is it possible that while you were playing with your website, being logged in, you wanted to check how it looks for an outside visitor and you (possibly) visited your website from a different browser, or from the mobile device (to see how it looks on smaller screen) ?

Or it just randomly logged you out. I find it does that periodically, sometimes after days, sometimes hours, just seems completely random when I notice the owner heading missing.

Also, have you noticed you can be logged in (headings like organize are there), but when you go to the profile information like stats, you have to log in again anyway. I assume that is some extra level of security for more sensitive aspects, but it also does not always do it, so there seem to be two logged in persistent states -- one for some functions, one for others, that disconnect at different times (though the account info always first I think).

So... which level of "owner" login must you be in to not be counted? I always assumed it was "if the header (e.g. organize) is there, you are not counted. Is that it? Or if I click on the account info and it makes me log in -- was I logged out with respect to views?

For me this is mostly curiosity, it's really google that gives me more useful information in site views. Though it is nice to quickly see what gallery people have bene looking at.