Options

Workers

JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
edited May 24, 2016 in Street and Documentary
cz_2014_0494-271-X2.jpg

I've been pondering on this one for a while. I tried a BW conversion, but I think I like the variety of colors. I tried different crops, but settled on the original full frame. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,923 moderator
    edited May 9, 2016
    This is a tough one to crack. The implied interaction with the outstretched arms is great, and (once I noticed them) the hands coming out of the second hole are good. OTOH, some of the strong colors compete for attention, especially the yellow of the bushes, the blue valve and the orange of the hazard sign. B&W reduces the competition some, but the overall effect seems cluttered. The best I could do with it was a square crop in color, eliminating the bushes and sign. I liked it in B&W, but the hands were less noticeable. Maybe B&W with some local adjustment on the hands? Dunno. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2016
    Thanks Richard! It seems you followed the same path I did... I tried to isolate the hands coming out of the manhole, but didn't like losing the rest. Maybe there's just too much going on.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2016
    Take 2, following Richard's suggestions.

cz_2014_0494-271-X2.jpg
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,831 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2016
    Yep, Juano, the crop in B&W captures the essence without the distractions.
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2016
    Better. The conversion seems flat to me. I'd brighten it up and increase the contrast to give it some punch.
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2016
    Yep, Juano, the crop in B&W captures the essence without the distractions.
    Richard wrote: »
    Better. The conversion seems flat to me. I'd brighten it up and increase the contrast to give it some punch.

Thanks guys. I will try to give it some additional "pop".
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2016
    Take 3, with additional contrast.

cz_2014_0494-271-X2.jpg
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2016
    Nice work refining this one Cristóbal - I think Take 3 is the best version... and I like it!!
    Now we see just the story of the workers - and the hands (all 6) are great!

One more suggestion for a bit of additional crop off the top and bottom; Down from the top, enough to just eliminate the object on his chest...
    And, up from the bottom to just eliminate the partial object on the right-lower edge.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2016
    Earache wrote: »
    Nice work refining this one Cristóbal - I think Take 3 is the best version... and I like it!!
    Now we see just the story of the workers - and the hands (all 6) are great!

One more suggestion for a bit of additional crop off the top and bottom; Down from the top, enough to just eliminate the object on his chest...
    And, up from the bottom to just eliminate the partial object on the right-lower edge.

Thanks for the suggestion Eric, I think it will look better.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2016
    Looks good thumb.gif.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,810 moderator
    edited May 22, 2016
    If you look at the scene as a "chaos and intervention" story then the distracting colors and original scene work to that end. The tighter crop and B&W treatment simplify the scene and provide a different story.

I think that both the original and the crop have individual merit and like them both.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,239 moderator
    edited May 22, 2016
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    If you look at the scene as a "chaos and intervention" story then the distracting colors and original scene work to that end. The tighter crop and B&W treatment simplify the scene and provide a different story.

I think that both the original and the crop have individual merit and like them both.
    I thought I was alone in my preference for the original (color) photo! I really like the first photo, and I do prefer the color version.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2016
    ziggy53 wrote: »

I thought I was alone in my preference for the original (color) photo! I really like the first photo, and I do prefer the color version.

--- Denise

I am also torn between both... Interesting discussion, thank you! clap.gif