Options

Rhopalus subrufus a Scentless Plant Bug

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited May 30, 2016 in Holy Macro
I was in the sunshine in our garden, adjacent to an area which has had long grass for at least 20 years. In the middle of the area (about a pace in) I saw what looked like a couple of mating flies. They were end to end, atypical of flies or beetles but typical of bugs.

Access was tricky, as moving the grass might disturb them and getting a clear shot and lighting them was challenging. Getting one of them was OK but both of them was fully successful in this one image out of several.

The bug is about 7mm long and, of the four UK species, this is distinguished by the white tip of the bifid scutellum and.by the alternate dark and light bands on the connexivum. The rather membranous front wings distinguish it from other bugs we are likely to see. Apparently, it is quite common, on low vegetation, but this is the first encounter that I am aware of. Anyway two at once!

EM-1, Kiron 105mm f16, twin TTL RC flash, hand-held.

Harold.

1306607.jpg?ts=1464587968

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2016
    Oh very nice! I haven't seen anyone show this particular bug mating!
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Oh very nice! I haven't seen anyone show this particular bug mating!

Thanks, SB.

The images are out there.

Bugs tend to be less mobile when in copula, which was to my advantage. The Dock Bug is to be seen mating every day but I have yet to obtain an image of them which I find photogenic, although others have done so.

Harold
  • Options
    Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2016
    They're cool. At first I would have though shield bug, but then looking properly you can see they weren't!

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

• Options
    edited May 30, 2016
    Paul Iddon wrote: »
    They're cool. At first I would have though shield bug, but then looking properly you can see they weren't!

Paul.

Thanks, Paul.

They are quite distantly related to Shield-bugs, being next to Firebugs.

Harold