Options

Damselfly Females by Flash or Mixed Lighting

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited May 31, 2016 in Holy Macro
I have never really worked on mixed lighting. It has been either compulsory flash in camera Manual Mode or Aperture Priority daylight, with no flash. Here I compare the flash only at 1/250 sec (first image) with Aperture Priority 1/160 plus flash TTL (second image). The third image was as for the second one but 1/50. All with EM-1 and Kiron 105mm at f11, ISO 400, hand-held. The first and second images have been cropped significantly laterally.

I believe the species to be Ischnura elegans the Common Bluetail. There are three colour forms of the immature female. The ones here are those which differ from the male. The pink is “C-Type” and the lilac is “A-Type”.

Harold

1306151.jpg

1306152.jpg

1306153.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2016
    Nice shots. I can't see much difference between the shots apart from the colour temperature of #2.
    I tend to use "fill flash" only when there is significant backlight.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2016
    Nice shots. I can't see much difference between the shots apart from the colour temperature of #2.
    I tend to use "fill flash" only when there is significant backlight.
    Brian V.

Thanks, Brian,

Fill flash is one of my undeveloped skills, largely because the OM film system, frustratingly, would not do it. That system has a touch of metallic gold in the flash reflector, which matched the output to sunlight.

For flash macro my EP-2 required Fill Flash Setting and the EM-1 calls it Compulsory Flash. My interest in balanced light is for closer use of the Laowa 15mm. I don't see much use otherwise, unless the subject is backlit and the background is particularly desirable.

Harold
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2016
    #2 is presented well!
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    #2 is presented well!

Thanks. It was forced on me by the curved leaf in the first version coming out very dark in the second one, cropping being the prefered option.

Harold