Scary Graduation

2»

Comments

• reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2016
    Foques wrote: »
    Sam,

I am not sure why you're disagreeing with Michael on this one. While in general, the logic you have provided is right, in this situation it is pretty obvious that 7.1 was a glaring error.

The environment OP was did not require that kind of aperture. the shutter speed needed to be increased, thus opening the aperture would be required. I fully agree with Michael int hat 7.1 was a completely unnecessary
    Sam wrote: »
    This was outdoors with gobs of light. :D

Sam

Goodness, I guess I was way off base with my tips?
    Late for dinner as always
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2016
    Sam wrote: »
    Michael,

Let me back up a little bit here. You are focusing in on the f-stop and stating that the error was using 7.1.

I must disagree. The object is to use a shutter speed that is fast enough for the subject / situation / movement. The second part of this is to use an aperture that will provide a DOF sufficient to obtain a sharp image from front to rear of the subject. (could be more or less depending on artistic intent) Lens focal length and distance to the subject will effect the DOF portion of this puzzle. ISO is one component to achieve the above.

There is no magic camera, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, lens, or subject distance.

One needs to understand these elements and choose each setting accordingly for the situation at hand.

Personally in these types of fast moving situations I will choose the setting with the widest margins possible. IE smaller apertures, faster shutter speeds, higher ISO ( as needed).

Sam

Let me back track a bit because I absolutely agree with some of your points, but let me explain why it was an aperture problem.

First off, this was shot outdoors in natural light. Bounty wasn't using a flash and I believe he was shooting towards the time of sunset so the light will be changing more rapidly over an hour time span. He is shooting in AV mode, so that aperture is locked at 7.1. With that light rapidly changing, the only element changing is his shutter speed to compensate for the lack of light (unless he had auto ISO on, but still, you are going to get some weird changes in camera to get the right exposure since it is not being controlled manually). Like Bounty mentioned, his shutter speed went down to 1/40th of a second which is very unlikely for him to get clean shots. If he shot at a wider aperture, he wouldn't have this problem. He may have been able to get away with f/4 in AV mode, but f/7.1 is way too high since he is not using a flash/strobes to compensate for lack of light.

I gave my recommendations on what I would do in a natural light setting if things were going towards sunset. If he was using strobes, I agree that he can use f/7.1. Do I find that narrow aperture appealing? Not really. It's not aesthetically pleasing to me, but this is just my opinion. I agree 100% there is absolute no "right" way to go about shooting an event. That's the beauty of photography..you can shoot 100 different ways to get the right exposure and style you want.

Let's agree to disagree? rolleyes1.gif
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2016
    Foques wrote: »
    Sam,

I am not sure why you're disagreeing with Michael on this one. While in general, the logic you have provided is right, in this situation it is pretty obvious that 7.1 was a glaring error.

The environment OP was did not require that kind of aperture. the shutter speed needed to be increased, thus opening the aperture would be required. I fully agree with Michael int hat 7.1 was a completely unnecessary

I'm with them here, but I say BOTH f stop and ISO are to blame. Aperture priority is ok if depth of field was the main need but in this case it was speed. 7.1 anywhere unless it's high noon ain't gonna cut neither is ISO 100.
  • BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2016
    WOW love the feedbacks and no harsh comments, just the way you guys see it.
    last year I shot the same event with auto ISO and P mode (I know I know ) it was overcast and pretty much most pictures were really good.
    This year like a dummy I decided to go to 7.1 just because ....and AV ..but the sun was coming and going for over 1 hour. I know better and know about DOF, Fstop,SS ..........but yes but who knows????
    I looked at my pictures and the different color of gown from red, grey to white was really changing the SS and messing up the pics of student wearing darker gown.
    Auto ISO and shooting manual is going to be my game from now on. I don't want to mess with battery pack and flash for 500 + pictures in such short period of time.
    Since I last talked to you I already sold more Graduation pictures in a month than 6 months after the graduation last year so overall I did ok but still I kick myself for choosing that set up.

Again thank you all for all feedback

Profilers
    :photo