Options

Epicactus (Orchid Cactus) Hybrid Flower

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited June 15, 2016 in Holy Macro
I would normally have taken this, in its hanging basket, to a more attractive setting probably hanging from the low branch of a tree. In this case, a treasured climbing greenhouse plant had gone one better than twining around the basket frame and had also threaded itself through the links in the chain. So I had to photograph it in situ and be grateful that the flower was pointing in the right direction.

The flower has a very deep funnel, requiring a small aperture, so separation from the background is limited. The bloom is still a thing of some beauty, perhaps enough to not let its surroundings distract. I have cloned out some chain links.

The diameter is in excess of a hand span, maybe as much as a foot (30cm). The purple stripe seems to have some physical component, as it varies with the angle of view. Unlike some of its parents, the white species, it is a daytime bloomer and last several days, with some of their perfume. If the fruit sets, it is not only edible, but delicious, if full of hundreds of seeds.. The label is missing but I am fairly sure this is "David Copperfield".

The cross-eye stereo works moderately well. It is best viewed from further back than usual..

EM-1, Kiron 105mm f11 or f16, twin TTL RC flash, hand-held.

Harold

1313298.jpg?ts=1465970496

1313299.jpg?ts=1465970496

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2016
    Sorry Harold, but the table cloth or whatever that checkered green thing is, kills it for me.....
  • Options
    e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Sorry Harold, but the table cloth or whatever that checkered green thing is, kills it for me.....

That's bubblewrap, as fixed greenhouse insulation and cannot be removed.

Harold