Options

Calendar cover page

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited November 27, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
My calendars are gorgeous, except the cover page is not the size of the photo. It is twice as high as the photo.

I got the more expensive one? I assume that you all did, too. What did you do with all that space up there?

Does anyone know what I am talking about and please move this if in the wrong place.

If you think I shouldn't have asked the question, you may delete it. But last year's calendar, the cover "art" was the same size basically as the inside photos.

I have a very nice photo on the bottom half of my cover and a blank space on top. The cover is taller than it is wide. Looking at the Calendars of the rest of you, such as Andy, your covers are wider than tall, too.

ginger ??? (Search word?)
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2005
    It would help us, Ginger, if you said where you're getting your calendars from....

Thanks
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    My calendars are gorgeous, except the cover page is not the size of the photo. It is twice as high as the photo.

I got the more expensive one? I assume that you all did, too. What did you do with all that space up there?

Does anyone know what I am talking about and please move this if in the wrong place.

If you think I shouldn't have asked the question, you may delete it. But last year's calendar, the cover "art" was the same size basically as the inside photos.

I have a very nice photo on the bottom half of my cover and a blank space on top. The cover is taller than it is wide. Looking at the Calendars of the rest of you, such as Andy, your covers are wider than tall, too.

ginger ??? (Search word?)
    I'm guessing that you went with the premium lulu.com calendar? The tall one rather than the one folded in half. All I did was to use a portrait oriented photo on the cover and landscape oriented photos on the inside. Check it out (in my footer).
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2005
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I'm guessing that you went with the premium lulu.com calendar? The tall one rather than the one folded in half. All I did was to use a portrait oriented photo on the cover and landscape oriented photos on the inside. Check it out (in my footer).
    Andy, you know I got them from Lulu.

I am not having a good day, why would I think you all might have an answer if it were not from Lulu.

Thanks, Mike.

I can change the cover of one of them.

ginger
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Andy, you know I got them from Lulu.

I am not having a good day, why would I think you all might have an answer if it were not from Lulu.

Thanks, Mike.

I can change the cover of one of them.

ginger

Becuase I'm not a mind reader lol3.gif sorry Ginger there's lots going on and I do not know you are talking about Lulu.

So what I did, is sized my front page specifically for the cover (different dimensions than the inside pages) and then I chose the option to stretch to fill.

I hope this helps - and remember, for help situations, more info is better!

All the best,
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2005
    Thank you, Andy! Sorry!

But now I am going to just RANT!

I found different photos for the cover, put the text on them, changed them up at LULU, did everything I was supposed to do. But SHE won't stop putting their type of the title over my cover which absolutely ruins everything.

Live help is only available on Mon-Fri til 5 PM, so I will be waiting until Monday and have that time to think over whether I even want to give calendars.

I am sick, been at the computer all day, not much has worked out and now this!

Actually for you sticklers, Lulu didn't exactly center all of my photos. In fact some are bled off one side with room on the other side for a 1/4 inch or more white edge.

I am tired, I do like the paper. Right now that is all I like besides my own photos!

ginger
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2005
    Ginger - did you know lulu.com has their own support forum? It's quite good, too....
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2005
    You could add your own text and such in photoshop and then use that as a cover page. ne_nau.gif

• Options
    edited November 19, 2005
    Mike, that is what I did. That is what I always do. LULU won't stop adding text too.

As like this B I R bD iSrds

Actually the bi are ON TOP of my type.

And the Landscape, on the other calendar, is on top of, totally redundant and not as good looking, as my type.

There is a thing to check if you want Lulu to add the type, it comes up checked, I uncheck it as fast as possible. For like an hour I would redo these things thinking that if I could just "beat the clock" with the checked box and get it unchecked soon enough, it would work.

I think it will be Monday.

I looked at their forum, but by that time I wanted immediate gratification.

Whine, whine.

ginger
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Mike, that is what I did. That is what I always do. LULU won't stop adding text too.

As like this B I R bD iSrds

Actually the bi are ON TOP of my type.

And the Landscape, on the other calendar, is on top of, totally redundant and not as good looking, as my type.

There is a thing to check if you want Lulu to add the type, it comes up checked, I uncheck it as fast as possible. For like an hour I would redo these things thinking that if I could just "beat the clock" with the checked box and get it unchecked soon enough, it would work.

I think it will be Monday.

I looked at their forum, but by that time I wanted immediate gratification.

Whine, whine.

ginger
    Hmmm. I don't recall it being that difficult. I added text through lulu's process and decided I didn't like it and removed it and then added some more in another place. ne_nau.gif

• Options
    edited November 19, 2005
    One of the calendars looks OK now, and I posted about the other calendar on the forum.

I had trouble when I first put the calendars together and had to "talk" to someone online, too. It was about something else, it was wrong, but it was not important to the finished product.

I always have trouble with them. I do like the calendar, but I cannot stand their type on my photos.

ginger (thanks for checking back. I cannot believe that they will not try to get this fixed. And I cannot imagine why one got fixed and the other one didn't.)
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2005
    I didn't even know
    Mike Lane wrote:
    ... that lulu allows for "tall" calendars. ne_nau.gif
    Thanks for the hint!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2005
    The forum people said it was a bug and that they would have someone work on it on Monday!

Another person's title has printed twice and she can't change it.

Just a warning. I think the calendar is nice, but some of us are paying for it with frustration.

And I used Andy's words, didn't quote him, I just said that "this was totally unacceptable".
    ginger
  • Options
    PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    Calendars calendars.
    ginger_55 wrote:
    The forum people said it was a bug and that they would have someone work on it on Monday! ....... Just a warning. I think the calendar is nice, but some of us are paying for it with frustration.
    ginger
    This has been interesting Ginger, thanks for starting this one. We will probably try Lulu or the like next year, but appears just as well we didn't get going with it in time this round, I could not have handled more hassle just now.

We are doing our own calendars and they look fine. Purchased a box of 12-page tear-off "big square" calendar pads, ez2see style. And are attaching 12 x 12in or up to A3 single-image header photos to order (of people's dogs of course). Attached with tiny brass rivets: they look smart: putting one on display in a gift shop tomorrow, hope for some interest at least if not a sale or two.

We have also printed some 12-page calendars on double-sided photo paper, punched and spiral bound to hang. These also look okay, but cost more for us to produce at home than through Lulu, and cannot be sold at a realistic price. But they can be customised, and a one-off produced for a client at short notice: so though we are "losing" on them, it's a reasonable "marketing" cost I hope.
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2005
    Interestingly, Lulu did me a favor. I have to take my dog to the vet tomorrow and can't afford the calendar now.

If there had been no hitch I would have put in an order for each family in the "family" on Friday.

So, the gods stepped in, messed the whole thing up, now I have the money to take the dog to the vet.

I am going to give the "proof" calendars to two of my kids and ask the other two kids to please not exchange.

Then when/if I can afford it, I will order myself a calendar for me from lulu. The bird one, my favorite, it appears alright now. If things get straightened out, I have a friend who wants to order herself a couple, at my cost.

I would rather do it that way than do it myself. Besides, my printer is almost out of ink.

Great day here in South Carolina, smile.

ginger
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2005
    I have just spent the morning on LULU live help, talked to three techs, it still is not fixed for me.

I hate them right now. Not the techs, they are frustrated, too. It is the system.

ginger
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I have just spent the morning on LULU live help, talked to three techs, it still is not fixed for me.

I hate them right now. Not the techs, they are frustrated, too. It is the system.

ginger

Ginger, I can help you. I agree, it's no so intuitive, but you can get thru it... when you cover page comes back at you with the title text added by Lulu, simply "UNcheck" the box that says "display title on cover" and then click UPDATE. You can then PREVIEW your pdf (look up at the top of your screen). You can also PREVIEW your cover. Be sure before you finalize :D

46185136-L-0.jpg

46185156-L-0.jpg

I hope this helps you.
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2005
    FYI,

Upon further inspection, my calendar had the months mixed up. They had july coming before june.

I'm pretty sure I'll never be using lulu again.

• Options
    edited November 27, 2005
    Mike Lane wrote:
    FYI,

Upon further inspection, my calendar had the months mixed up. They had july coming before june.

I'm pretty sure I'll never be using lulu again.

what did your pdf-ready proof show?
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2005
    Andy, I did all of that, really. Then two techs did it, and it didn't work for them either. So they got a higher up tech. Jason. After an hour or so, he fixed them, but they immediately went back to being messed up.

I was going to get ahold of him this week, but Julie, my daughter, worked on them while I was at her house this weekend. She got them fixed. Now the only thing is that Jason didn't make them available to the public. I guess he figured that I didn't want them available since I didn't want them marked up.

I just wanted my kids to be able to buy them at cost.

So, I am going to "talk" to Jason again this week, smile.

Thanks, Andy,

ginger
    (The reason that unchecking the box didn't work for me was that I couldn't get it unchecked fast enough. It was like a nightmare game.) The fact that the techs couldn't do it either made me feel a bit less ...........whatever..
    Julie now thinks she is really good, and she is, but on this she was probably lucky.)
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    ginger
    (The reason that unchecking the box didn't work for me was that I couldn't get it unchecked fast enough. It was like a nightmare game.) The fact that the techs couldn't do it either made me feel a bit less ...........whatever..
    Julie now thinks she is really good, and she is, but on this she was probably lucky.)

Ginger it works. I had the same problem. Do exactly like I say with my pics and you'll be fine!
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2005
    Well, it looks like Julie did it like you said, it worked for her, and I am not messing it up by playing with it.

I would look at a totally unchecked box and it would come out wrong. But it is straight now. All I have to do is make them available. Or order a couple myself, to check them out, but they do need to be available, at my cost.

ginger (thanks for taking the time, etc.)
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Well, it looks like Julie did it like you said, it worked for her, and I am not messing it up by playing with it.

I would look at a totally unchecked box and it would come out wrong. But it is straight now. All I have to do is make them available. Or order a couple myself, to check them out, but they do need to be available, at my cost.

ginger (thanks for taking the time, etc.)

Glad to be of service.