Work shots

bestepbestep Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited June 30, 2016 in People
Hi Folks,

I don't have much experience with portraits, but had a chance to shoot a few recently at work. I would really appreciate any feedback.

Dr. Catherine with one of her patients:

IMG_0148-XL.jpg

Dr. Catherine after our short video interview:

IMG_0157-XL.jpg

Speech Therapist student helping out:

IMG_0131-XL.jpg

Thanks folks.

Comments

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2016
    I think - for a start - you could do worse than have a quick look here, if you've not already done so, because there's some decent advice going.

I'd make the same comments about your pics re background as I did in the linked thread - anything in the bg that distracts the viewer should be avoided imo.

I'm not a people snapper (other than on v. rare occasions) but I trespass in here to get tips for when I don't have any other option (eg daughter's wedding :) ) - and one approach / 'check list'? which I try to use in my w/life work I saw mentioned by this guy, in the people forum, here on Dgrin

In descending order of priority.

Light
    Background
    Composition
    Pose

Many (people - and w/life) pics fail (imo) to some degree or other on the second most important item - bg - probably because the 'tog is 'shooting the subject - and not the (whole) picture'
    If the bg doesn't add to the pic, it's detracting from it.

pp
  • bestepbestep Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 25, 2016
    I think - for a start - you could do worse than have a quick look here, if you've not already done so, because there's some decent advice going.

I'd make the same comments about your pics re background as I did in the linked thread - anything in the bg that distracts the viewer should be avoided imo.

I'm not a people snapper (other than on v. rare occasions) but I trespass in here to get tips for when I don't have any other option (eg daughter's wedding :) ) - and one approach / 'check list'? which I try to use in my w/life work I saw mentioned by this guy, in the people forum, here on Dgrin

In descending order of priority.

Light
    Background
    Composition
    Pose

Many (people - and w/life) pics fail (imo) to some degree or other on the second most important item - bg - probably because the 'tog is 'shooting the subject - and not the (whole) picture'
    If the bg doesn't add to the pic, it's detracting from it.

pp

Thanks pp. Good advice. I appreciate the feedback.
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2016
    Yep my first thoughts were, wow the background really distracts me from the subjects in two major ways, the amount of brightness in relation to the subjects and the amount aperture (wide) chosen has made for an equally distracting bokeh.
    Especially number 2.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2016
    Yes, I think these are great people shots, but the background! You did the same thing I did; and seeing yours helps me understand the feedback even more.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • bestepbestep Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 29, 2016
    Thanks for the feedback. I agree with everyone that the backgrounds are too distracting. I think the novelty of a new lens got the better of me :-) I do love the speed of the lens, but I need to focus more on bringing the subject forward and providing a less distracting background. Time for more practice.
  • LightsearcherLightsearcher Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2016
    very nice portraits but the first one is my favorite, very natural pose and smiles.

Marcelo