New lens, some new photos

kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
edited November 29, 2005 in People
I just got my first "fast" lens, at least for me, a ZD 50mm F2 Macro. I really like my first lens purchase. Makes me want to buy more of course:D

All shot at F2, jpegs

Any comments etc... appreciated.

Gene

46249110-M.jpg

46249116-M.jpg

46249126-M.jpg

46249136-M.jpg

46249150-M.jpg

Comments

• marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2005
    Dude, quit spending my money! I am contemplating to get the ZD50 as an addition to my 14-54 and 50-200 on the E-1. My wallet doesn't like pictures like yours, that proof that the ZD50 is an excellent portrait lens next to a great macro lens. Guess it's shoppping time. :) What body did you use? E-300, E-500 or E-1?

edit: looking at your profile here, and seeing that lovely child, the quarter finally fell and kickstarted my brain: aren't you posting on the DPReview Olympus SLR forum as well? That'd mean you'd have sold the 828 to get an E-300 if I'm not mistaken.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2005
    marlof wrote:
    Dude, quit spending my money! I am contemplating to get the ZD50 as an addition to my 14-54 and 50-200 on the E-1. My wallet doesn't like pictures like yours, that proof that the ZD50 is an excellent portrait lens next to a great macro lens. Guess it's shoppping time. :) What body did you use? E-300, E-500 or E-1?

edit: looking at your profile here, and seeing that lovely child, the quarter finally fell and kickstarted my brain: aren't you posting on the DPReview Olympus SLR forum as well? That'd mean you'd have sold the 828 to get an E-300 if I'm not mistaken.

You are correct. Sold my 828, bought the E-300. Best move I've ever made. I take many more photos now. I just really like using the camera. Most of my photos are just average snaps of the kids, but at least I get to use it.

The 50F2 hasn't left the camera since I got it last week. I love the lens. It's so nice to be able to shoot indoors without flash. Plus it's sharp and I get to have some shallow DOF :D

Gene
    edited November 28, 2005
    kini62 wrote:
    I just really like using the camera. Most of my photos are just average snaps of the kids, but at least I get to use it.

Isn't that what photography is about? Liking what you're doing, and taking pictures that *you* like to see again. For some it's landscapes, for others it's street photography, and again others like to document their own life. Whatever makes you tick and happy. It's good to see that you're enjoying the ZD50 that much. I think it's safe to say that'll be Santa's gift to me this year. :)
    edited November 29, 2005
    Seeing that you and just about everyone else is a better photographer than me, I'm sure you'll make good use of it.

I don't seem to get the response on my photos that others do, even though I see little difference in subject or composition.

Must be like the job market, not what you know but who you know, here and on the Dp forums it's not so much what you photograph but who the photographer is.

Of course most of them have earned their reputation, but I see so many so-so photos on all the forums that depending on who the photog is, people just gush over.

Oh, well to each their own, I guess I would like some more positive or any feedback sometimes.

Whining is now over clap.gif

marlof wrote:
    Isn't that what photography is about? Liking what you're doing, and taking pictures that *you* like to see again. For some it's landscapes, for others it's street photography, and again others like to document their own life. Whatever makes you tick and happy. It's good to see that you're enjoying the ZD50 that much. I think it's safe to say that'll be Santa's gift to me this year. :)
  • johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2005
    Well, I think these are great photos. I really like #3 and #5.

Sorry you have not gotten the response from the "Big Guns" here at DG. It takes a while to get around... I know. BTW, I looked at your past posts and I see ANDY responded to one of your posts. That's a big deal. Sometimes I feel sorry for him. Everyone wants Andy. I wonder if he sometimes lurks in the shadows so no one will bother him. That said, Andy has so much knowledge and skill, who wouldn't want him to comment or share insight. I know I do. I guess, "get in line."

I think the thing that got me connected in DG was commenting on as many post as I felt I could... Do to others what you would want them to do to you.

In doing so, I have developed friendships with several folks here at DG. They also in return pressed me and challenged me. I joined in January of this year and I have had one Kodak Picture of the Day and one DGrin photo challenge win. Trust me, both came with much help from my friends here.

If you are looking for comments to your pics, try posting a one or two per post so it is not as overwhelming. Dive in to others posts and give your opinion to others. It doesn't matter if you are as "good" as "them" or not... Your thoughts can really help. Just be honest.

Anyhow, I hope this makes sense. If not, well, it's late.

Keep em coming and I will keep my eyes open.

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
    edited November 29, 2005
    kini62 wrote:
    Seeing that you and just about everyone else is a better photographer than me, I'm sure you'll make good use of it.
    Let's attribute this to being shy out of politeness, because the pictures you're posting are contradicting your statement. Don't cut yourself short!
    kini62 wrote:
    I don't seem to get the response on my photos that others do, even though I see little difference in subject or composition.
    Everybody I know on Dgrin seems to feel this way, esp. in the beginning, when you don't know who's who. Heck, I still feel this way, but time doesn't always permit me to be part of the regular crowd here, which doesn't help. Of course there's always the more popular subjects. Take birds for example, but that's just because there's a group of people who really enjoy shooting and posting bird pictures, and commenting on them. That group wasn't established, it just grew.

Anyhow, if you do a little search, you'll find tons on reasoning on the why and how to deal with this, including strategies to attract responses. In my opinion, all you can do is post quality images like you've done, and like Johno said: put into the threads containing images you feel related to the same feedback that you'd like to see in return on your threads. Give, and you might receive. :)

Another tip: if you want a good feedback on the merits of one of your images, be brave, and post on the Whipping Post, where Dgrinners meet to say more than just the polite "nice pics!". Don't be shy, your work I've seen so far proofs you'll live through a whipping. And you can bet you'll learn something from that too! My advice: plan a shot. Take the shot the way you planned. Post it in the whipping post, and explain what you did. See what others think. And enjoy the learning process.
    edited November 29, 2005
    Thank Johno and Marlof for the encouragement and advice
    Gene