Eisvogel (Kingfisher)- results from a winter of stalking

JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
edited July 8, 2016 in Wildlife
My new neighbors here in Germany include an Eisvogel. if I thought stalking belted kingfishers in the U.S. in the barren landscapes of the Imperial Valley irrigation district or Bolsa Chica was tough, shooting the common kingfisher at the confluence of a stream and river where it's unconstrained in all directions and covered with vegetation is a whole 'nother world of challenge. Luckily it's a short walk from our place, and a kingfisher (4 of them in the area, we *think* actually) could be reliably located with a little bit of patience- although usually located as it flashes by in a blur of color to hide out in another location.

These shots will never match those of the pros, but my final results after a winter of stalking (much harder to do now that all the trees have leafed out).

I like square crops for static birds, any opinions on the cropping? (or anything else)

1) 4 dimensional shot ;)
i-QqM85fw-XL.jpg

2)
i-dx4zpBH-XL.jpg

3)
i-PxCFBqd-XL.jpg

4)
i-QpZ4VhD-XL.jpg
Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.

Comments

• Tony BrittonTony Britton Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2016
    These are really wonderful. Great shots of this incredibly beautiful bird!

Tony
    https://tonybritton.smugmug.com/Other/Strictly-For-The-Birds/
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2016
    These are excellent! They also kept getting better and better from 1 to 4! Cheers!clap.giflust
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2016
    Good captures. #4 is great. I don't think I have the patience for bird photography, thus my capture success is not that of others here.

Congrats to your tenacity and success.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!