Caught up in Karakorum

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited July 20, 2016 in Journeys
Planned a trip to beautiful Hunza Valley and up to China Border (Hunza which i have covered in Autumn season) the valley is known for its beautiful cherry blossom too. The weather prediction was not favorable and there was alert of landslide, which are common and mostly ignored. So we continued the road trip. On our way we encountered small road blocks which our 4x4 vehicle easily crossed, upon reaching 50 km from Chilas in 16-17 hours from Islamabad. We had to stop and landslides became horrible while falling rocks leveled some shops in front of our eyes and trip became a nightmare. We rushed back blindly, due to total darkness (no electricity, no moonlight, and raining continuously) we found refuge close to road side hotel where most of the travellers were already clustered. We were sheltered in our vehicle for first night while horrific sounds of landslides kept us up. We were bit relaxed in morning after realizing we were at least 300 meters from mountains, and not directly under the shadow of loose rocks, like most of the part of Karakorum highway is.

Next day police check post opened doors for us where we spent the night, next morning we proceeded further and learned KKH was blocked from 90 different places up to Hunza valley, and roadblocks are as long as 1 km throughout. All we could do was to wait and pray for no more rain! We returned to check-post and spent next 5 days without electricity, network, or facilities we could not return to Islamabad nor we could move ahead, reported our safety to family with the help of locals.

We were not alone, the vulnerable route of KKH is main source of trade between China and Pakistan, the region supplies timber throughout Pakistan. Hotel was filled with truck drivers and strangers where we had our breakfast, lunch and dinner. Prices started to increase with each passing day and water supply was extinct and we had to rush down to Indus River. Road blocks up to Gilgit were cleared on 5th day and we made to Gilgit on 7th day (the actual planned length of our trip). As we reconnected with network we learned about severity of situation and learned about government was offering evacuation for stranded tourists, we reached airport and were fortunate to board the plane to Islamabad. (gallery www.awais.smugmug.com/Photography/Stuck-in-Karakoram-Highway)

KKH.png

Some photos with cell phone it was pleasant to see the sunlight after 2 days, as situation got worst with each falling drop of rain.

20160404_061703-X2.jpg
People walk to cross road blocks
20160404_140330-X2.jpg

20160404_140432-X2.jpg
We survived this, that night.
20160404_140648-X2.jpg
Trucks waiting for route to clear
IMG_1233-X2.jpg
Truck in Pakistan is always a subject to shoot
IMG_1207-X2.jpgCricket TimeIMG_1151-X2.jpg
Most of the geography of KKH is barren and deserted
IMG_1195-X2.jpg
Chicken truck was also caught up with us, as demand grew price increased. Condition of chicken was also deteriorating.
IMG_1198-X2.jpg
Pictures from the only hotel in vicinity
waiter IMG_1059-X2.jpg
Ayub, the waiter generously offered us his cell phone to connect with loved ones back home. What a big heart boy.
IMG_1027-X2.jpg
Mr. Ghani, owner of the hotel made yummy food, his business was shining.
IMG_1063-X2.jpg
Other refugees
IMG_1072-X2.jpg
Mr. Hazart the bread maker was most experienced worker in hotel and loved to pose for camera
IMG_1101z-X2.jpg
Guard in timber storage
IMG_1133-X2.jpg
Young laborer
IMG_1185-X2.jpg
Spent some time shooting local boys
IMG_1168-X2.jpg
Posing with cricket bat
IMG_1176-X2.jpg
Shepard
IMG_1172-X2.jpg
Finally help arrived, do you notice few trees in background which saved fate of people by diverting flood of rocks from sweeping some residents
IMG_1268-X2.jpg
Encountered these machines at several places
20160407_172936-X2.jpg
Notice the que, a lot of people were trying to move downwards, they thought as shortage of fuel and food increases it will be easier for them. And we were among who were travelling upwards, hopeful to get on airplane for ride back home or atleast connect with network.
20160407_183801-X2.jpg
Audience
IMG_1272-X2.jpg
In que after battling to get on to flight, everyone wanted to board the 1st flight back home, fortunately we were among firsts that day. And reached home on Friday as promised.
IMG_1292-X2.jpg

made some videos will share them later
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited April 14, 2016
    Awais -
    As always, your people photos are wonderful.

Your story was truly frightening. I'm glad to hear that you made it through OK!

--- Denise
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2016
    Awais, thank you so much for sharing this fascinating (and indeed frightening!) story and your fabulous photographs. Very glad that you made it back safely.

Cheers, Sara
  • AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2016
    I don't normally look in the "Journey" thread - but I will certainly be looking out for your threads from now on.
    I loved the background story and the context info.
    Photos are beautiful and provide perfect company to your words.
    Loved the post.
    So glad you made it home safely.

I really like the photo of the hotel owner - your positioning of him in the light was perfect.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2016
    clap.gifclap All wonderful, but your portraits are superb!
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2016
    Thanks guys, it was place to shoot some intense characters
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2016
    Great stuff, Awais. Glad you made through safely. It must have been a harrowing experience!
    Chris
    edited April 27, 2016
    ChrisJ wrote: »
    Great stuff, Awais. Glad you made through safely. It must have been a harrowing experience!

Thanks Chris!

My Gallery
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2016
    Wow!

If I ever visited that part of the world I want you to be with me.

Sam
    edited May 14, 2016
    Sam wrote: »
    Wow!

If I ever visited that part of the world I want you to be with me.

Sam

Sure Sam! that will be awesome thumb.gif

My Gallery
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2016
    Thank your for taking us places that we will most likely never be able to go. Great shots as usual...so interesting...the faces of the average man.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    edited July 11, 2016
    Ed911 wrote: »
    Thank your for taking us places that we will most likely never be able to go. Great shots as usual...so interesting...the faces of the average man.

Thanks Ed! thumb.gif

My Gallery
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2016
    A great set of images thumb.gifthumb, to illustrate an unexpected turn of events.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
    edited July 20, 2016
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    A great set of images thumb.gifthumb, to illustrate an unexpected turn of events.

Phil

Thanks Philthumb.gif

My Gallery
  • choudhrysaabchoudhrysaab Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins

These are really GREAT pictures and I wish to travel to all these areas one day, inshaAllah. Thanks for sharing.