A few bird photos - C&C please

double_entendredouble_entendre Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
edited July 12, 2016 in Wildlife
Took these on a walk with my wife at Bolsa Chica Ecological Preserve in Huntington Beach. Been a long time since I did much nature photography or Photoshop work, so very interested to hear thoughts on them, whatever they may be.

The heron was with a Nikon 300mm F4 and a 2x multiplier on a tripod, the other three with just the 300mm handheld.

Thanks!

DSC_0927ps_1.jpg

DSC_0936ps.jpg

DSC_0956ps.jpg

DSC_0979ps.jpg

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2016
    Nice! Especially #2!
  • double_entendredouble_entendre Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2016
    Thanks. :)

There's a spot where the water gets pretty turbulent and a flock of lesser terns congregates to eat unfortunate fish.

Good day to be higher up in the food chain.
  • wave01wave01 Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2016
    I do like these shots. My only criticism is the wrong time of day but to get these well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    edited July 5, 2016
    wave01 wrote: »
    I do like these shots. My only criticism is the wrong time of day but to get these well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to be shockingly obtuse, but better at sunrise/sunset? Or at least not at high noon SoCal time?

Thanks!
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2016
    Some potential opportunities here, but it depends what you're after, imo.

If there's a 'fishing area' for the birds (terns), it sounds like a decent spot to 'work' .. however, if me, and a local venue, I'd return, but
    a) without my wife
    b) try to get a much lower vantage point - with a decent background
    c) Go at a different time of day / when better light (as already mentioned) ... 'better' in my book also includes rain / hail / sleet / snow etc (which I accept is unlikely in your area :) )

I think there's (almost always?) decent shots to be had when there's action close to water level - irrespective of whether the subjects are common ones or exotic species ... but it's all about the 'basics'

Fwiw, I think cropping 1 to remove the near horizontal branch across the top and the vertical sliver of white on frame L would improve the shot.
    However, for my tastes, the near bg is too busy and the light coloured stumpy branch that's nearly tangential to the bird's back / head is more than enough to compromise the bird's outline / silhouette that it'd be unlikely that I'd keep the shot.

pp
  • Tony BrittonTony Britton Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2016
    Wonderful shots! The first two are my favorites and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your photographs.

Wishing you the best in your photography,

Tony
    edited July 6, 2016
    Some potential opportunities here, but it depends what you're after, imo.

If there's a 'fishing area' for the birds (terns), it sounds like a decent spot to 'work' .. however, if me, and a local venue, I'd return, but
    a) without my wife
    b) try to get a much lower vantage point - with a decent background
    c) Go at a different time of day / when better light (as already mentioned) ... 'better' in my book also includes rain / hail / sleet / snow etc (which I accept is unlikely in your area :) )

I think there's (almost always?) decent shots to be had when there's action close to water level - irrespective of whether the subjects are common ones or exotic species ... but it's all about the 'basics'

Fwiw, I think cropping 1 to remove the near horizontal branch across the top and the vertical sliver of white on frame L would improve the shot.
    However, for my tastes, the near bg is too busy and the light coloured stumpy branch that's nearly tangential to the bird's back / head is more than enough to compromise the bird's outline / silhouette that it'd be unlikely that I'd keep the shot.

pp

Hah. My wife is handy for spotting things I totally missed. Like that heron. I'd have walked right by it. And is good company to boot. :)

Interesting thought on the lower vantage point. It'd be tough, but not impossible and that would be the point where not having the wife would be a good idea because she'd worry about me falling into the water. It's a breakwater of a sorts with lots of jumbled rocks. The lower vantage point would put Pacific Coast Highway into view, though, and would probably screw up the autofocus if I had to guess. I'll have to try and see what happens.

Definitely not going to see hail/sleet/snow in Huntington Beach. In the winter we might get frost on the rooftops and occasionally the windshields, but that's all. (For the record, life in SoCal means you trade every other quality of life metric for the weather.) Huntington averages 13" of rain per year, but we've been in a drought for several years. If we've gotten more than 3" year to date I'd be vaguely surprised.

I think you're right about the heron, unfortunately. I like the bird, but that one branch that is right along his shoulder really detracts from the shot.

Wonderful shots! The first two are my favorites and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your photographs.

Wishing you the best in your photography,

Tony

Thanks, Tony. I appreciate the kind words. I desperately need to learn to post-process, but that's just time and practice. :D
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2016
    Nicely done.

I have a hard time tracking the terns to catch them right as they enter or exit the water. There are a couple of place where you can get a lower vantage point between the vegetation if you take the path along PCH and shoot inland, but then unless you get the terns right at the water you'll either get people or pumps. You can get a nice light in the late afternoon at that angle, but on a usual marine layer day, you pay a huge penalty in shutter speed, so probably not what you want for the action shots.

Be careful, getting the perfect shot for each species that shows up at Bolsa Chica can become a time consuming obsession!
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
    edited July 12, 2016
    JC wrote: »
    Nicely done.

I have a hard time tracking the terns to catch them right as they enter or exit the water. There are a couple of place where you can get a lower vantage point between the vegetation if you take the path along PCH and shoot inland, but then unless you get the terns right at the water you'll either get people or pumps. You can get a nice light in the late afternoon at that angle, but on a usual marine layer day, you pay a huge penalty in shutter speed, so probably not what you want for the action shots.

Be careful, getting the perfect shot for each species that shows up at Bolsa Chica can become a time consuming obsession!

rolleyes1.gif

My wife's and my anniversary was a few days ago. I gave her a card that talked about how you need to become accustomed to your partners flaws as they age "in case I get any." She gave me one that said "I love you just the way you are; don't get any worse."

I'm not allowed any more obsessions. I've already got golf eating up a huge amount of time. Photography is a hobby. Golf an obsession. (Just signed up for a one-year five lessons/month plan with a pro at Oak Creek.)

I was right here for the pics I took, where the bike path curves around and over the water towards PCH. I could probably crawl down the rocks and sit down, bracing the camera with my elbow on my knees.

Thanks for the thoughts. Appreciate you taking the time.
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2016
    // I could probably crawl down the rocks and sit down, bracing the camera with my elbow on my knees.

If there're rocks around at water level, and there's no chance of using other kit, I've rested the cam on a beanbag placed on the lowest and most suitable rock I could find -and use an angle finder.

Imo there's a world of difference between near water level shots and those taken from a crouching / sitting position, for subjects like waterfowl.

pp