Options

Downloading Zip File

TipiWalterTipiWalter Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited July 20, 2016 in SmugMug Support
I am experimenting with the Smugmug Download feature and used one of my smaller galleries as a test run and have a few questions---

** I receive the zip file with all the pictures in that particular gallery but none of them are in the order I placed them in the smugmug gallery. It's important that they remain in the correct order.
** I spent a lot of time adding captions and titles to each pic in the gallery but none of these captions are transferred in the zip file.

Am I doing the download wrong or is there something I don't know?

Comments

• Options
    photoclickphotoclick Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2016
    most likely something you don't know: all files in the zip archive you (your visitors) download are in the sort order that is dictated by the computer you are on. Probably it is in the alphabetical order based on the file name. The order you set in the gallery has nothing to do with the order of files on your computer.

Caption and titles... they are not stored inside the files. Let me ask you this question - where do you expect to see them (captions and titles) after you downloaded the zip archive?
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2016
    To clarify the caption/title issue, the files you download are the files you uploaded. Period.

While I know Smugmug caters to people who like to make changes on Smugmug, I always recommend people use their own system for managing all updates - image edits, metadata (caption, title, whatever) changes, etc. Change it on your computer in the image, then upload (again if needed). Your computer should (in my opinion) always be the master that is updated, and all things flow out from it.

That's not a smugmug recommendation of course, so we now return control to your regularly scheduled program....
  • Options
    TipiWalterTipiWalter Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited July 19, 2016
    Thanks for the helpful replies. Like an idiot I sort of expected the downloaded zip gallery to be in a similar "gallery" type file with all the aforementioned titles and captions. Sort of like a "save page as" with all the gallery pages included---including captions.

But you're right, I should only expect to get the computer images and their designations and their order as downloaded from my computer into Smugmug.

I never caption my photos UNTIL I put them on Smugmug. And these captions of course do not transfer to a zip. My own fault.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2016
    TipiWalter wrote: »
    I never caption my photos UNTIL I put them on Smugmug. And these captions of course do not transfer to a zip. My own fault.
    When practical, it's vastly preferable to caption on your computer in your photo manager (Lightroom, Bridge, etc.). Since those captions are added using standard IPTC metadata, they will go with the photo wherever it goes in the future: Smugmug, Flickr, any website or application that supports metadata will display that caption. It's basically "enter caption once, never worry about it again."
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited July 20, 2016
    If you use LR, it's super simple to add titles/captions and then sync them with SmugMug. We also have plans to sync anything updated on SM back down to LR.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations