Options

Yellow & Black Cranefly Nephrotoma brevipalpis

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited August 2, 2016 in Holy Macro
I see the occasional individual of this genus in my garden. This is a different species from the one posted previously.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1376334/

The difference is the width of the dark stripe along the top of the abdomen. In the first species it is narrow, in this one extending to the sides. (I had mis-named the first one, now corrected).

There was very little insect life about, in spite of fine weather. I had almost given up when I saw this one on a leaf of a shrub. I was not optimistic of getting any images, as the one a saw a few days previously had flown off as I moved towards it. This time, I was luckier. There was a lot of gusty breeze, moving the foliage. Even when I tried, unsuccessfully to get a head-on view, moving the twig the cranefly was on, it remained still.

EM-1, Kiron 105, f16, twin TTL RC flash, hand-held.

Harold

1332788.jpg

1332789.jpg

1332790.jpg

1332791.jpg

1332792.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2016
    Lovely series Harold.
    It's craneflies similar to this that I see laying eggs in my pond every now and then in a similar manner to lone female darter dragonflies.
    Brian v.
  • Options
    e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2016
    Lovely series Harold.
    It's craneflies similar to this that I see laying eggs in my pond every now and then in a similar manner to lone female darter dragonflies.
    Brian v.

Thanks, Brian.

They feed on grass roots, leaf mould, etc. I doubt that they are fully aquatic.

Harold