Options

Lightning at Amelia Island

CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
edited August 11, 2016 in Landscapes
Vacationing at Fernandina Beach, up comes an evening storm at sea. So I grab the tripod ... As always I invite your comments and suggestions. (Technical details at bottom.) --Carter

IMG_9538-X2.jpg

IMG_9542-X2.jpg

IMG_9543-X2.jpg

IMG_9592-2-X2.jpg

IMG_9548-X2.jpg

IMG_9552-X2.jpg

IMG_9555-X2.jpg

IMG_9567-X2.jpg

IMG_9570-X2.jpg

IMG_9584-X2.jpg

Canon 70D with Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 at 17 mm. Most exposures are 30 sec, f/16, ISO 100. I used a dark neutral density filter at dusk ... then removed it when it got really dark. Noise reduction to 80 in Lightroom. The storm didn't move for an hour and a half, so I just shot away while visiting with family. Biggest challenge: focusing after dark, even using live view. So here are my questions:
***focusing tips at night
***color balance. I brought color to about 5200 to warm it up (except #10 which I apparently skipped--see the blue halo around the lightning bolt? and desaturated a tad to get rid of some reddish fringing around the highlights
***crop. I kept it wide to capture the drama of the clouds and not just the detail in the lightning bolts
***overall exposure and brightness. On my main monitor the clouds look dark and ominous. Here now on my laptop, they look too bright.
I welcome your thoughts and help! --Carter

Comments

• Options
    joe-bobjoe-bob Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2016
    Awesome shots. It's amazing to see pictures with multiple lightning strikes.
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2016
    Fantastic, Carter! clap.gifclapclap.gif

Some real beauties in there... can't (and don't need-to mwink.gif) pick a favorite!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2016
    joe-bob wrote: »
    Awesome shots. It's amazing to see pictures with multiple lightning strikes.
    Earache wrote: »
    Fantastic, Carter! clap.gifclapclap.gif

Some real beauties in there... can't (and don't need-to mwink.gif) pick a favorite!

Thanks for commenting ... I appreciate your eye and experience! I was amazed to get multiple strikes in these 30 sec exposures. And even more surprised how long the storm stayed put, begging to be photographed, about an hour and a half! Thank you so much! --Carter
  • Options
    fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2016
    Some pretty cool shots. No lightning trigger needed, like your technique you used to get theses shots.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited August 8, 2016
    These are quite impressive. I'm afraid I'm not able to offer any technical advice--these are much better than anything I've managed to do. Well done.
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,035 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2016
    Good grief, Carter. :jawdrop:jawdrop:jawdrop These are a triple Wowser!

These are spectacular shots of some spectacular weather. And I do have to pick a favorite - #7 with lightning below and above the clouds! And thanks for the tutorial in your processing.
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2016
    Beautiful.

Much better to shoot lightning with continuous exposures than triggers, you lose the leaders when you need to wait for the trigger to respond.

I actually like the color response of #10 the best ;)

At night, if you don't have any nearby foreground that you want to keep in focus, just focus to infinity, and maybe back off just slightly. If you have enough light that you need the ND filter, you can probably pre-focus and mark the lens before putting on the ND filter.

One of the things I like about this series are the double decker clouds, and seeing the ground strike bolts inbetween the cloud layers.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,885 moderator
    edited August 9, 2016
    CCoop wrote: »
    ... Canon 70D with Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 at 17 mm. Most exposures are 30 sec, f/16, ISO 100. I used a dark neutral density filter at dusk ... then removed it when it got really dark. Noise reduction to 80 in Lightroom. The storm didn't move for an hour and a half, so I just shot away while visiting with family. Biggest challenge: focusing after dark, even using live view. So here are my questions:
    ***focusing tips at night

***overall exposure and brightness. On my main monitor the clouds look dark and ominous. Here now on my laptop, they look too bright.
    I welcome your thoughts and help! --Carter

APS-C/17mm and f16 should be a pretty forgiving setting for focus. If you find a subject at 10 ft distance and accurately focus it*, then everything from 2.4 ft through infinity should be in DOF. *(You can use your built-in flash for crisp illumination on the Canon 7D and just find 'any' subject at 10-ish distance, manual focus on that and confirm focus by chimping with magnification. An external flash with an AF Assist will speed the process, just set manual focus after the AF finds the subject at 10 ft.)

Please do remember that the 7D has a fairly strong Anti-Alias (AA) filter on the imager and that f16 will cause diffraction, so strong post-processing sharpening is indicated.

It does seem that you need to calibrate your monitors. At very least you can try adjusting brightness and gamma by using some monitor calibration images:

Download the following and make sure that your monitors allow viewing even step gradations and all grayscale and color tone steps:
    http://www.stegmann.dk/mikkel/photo/calibration/calibration_b.jpg

Likewise:
    http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/content_images_2/ok_ramp4.gif
    http://www.colour-science.com/quality%20test%20tools/test%20files/Reference%20Print%20monitor%20900x600pixel.jpg

While you're at it, straight print (no alterations or adjustments) the following images using your normal process(es), then try to match the prints to your screens. This tests your ambient lighting as well as your monitors, although screen calibration is still recommended.

sRGB
    https://photos.smugmug.com/SmugMug/Prints/Test-prints/Calibration-prints/i-TccrMm3/4/L/Calibration-062904-L.jpg
    http://www.peak-imaging.com/downloads/Fujical.jpg
    http://www.colour-science.com/quality%20test%20tools/test%20files/Reference%20Print%20printer%202362x3543pixel.jpg

AdobeRGB
    http://www.midsouthcolor.com/Download%20Files/MSCL%20Calibration.jpg
    http://www.digitalmasters.com.au/Calibration_Print_Adobe_RGB.jpg

These images are very enjoyable, so you're obviously doing capture and processing correctly. thumb.gifclap
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Celtic SnapperCeltic Snapper Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2016
    The only advice I can give you Carter, is don't go flying a kite in that weather!!!

Super shots, and one of those I've often considered trying, but don't fancy getting fried!
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2016
    Carter, that's some seriously good shooting. I remember that lingering storm. I kept wishing it would make its way on down to Jacksonville....not for photography but for the rain.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2016
    Thank you all for the helpful feedback and suggestions, and the for links to the calibration screens. Very useful, and I'm very appreciative of your shared skill and experience. --Carter