Mini Challenge #231: Oceans, Lakes, Rivers and Streams

Comments

• CJWluvsjemsCJWluvsjems Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 11, 2016
    My favorite
    My children and I recently vacationed to South Haven Michigan. This was my favorite picture of them playing in Lake Michigan.http://www.dgrin.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40612&stc=1&d=1470947635
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2016
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    GrandmaR, I am curious about the year this photo was taken? My husband and I traveled to Montserrat in 1978 before the volcano became active.

This was January of 2010. We were on a cruise which went to Antigua, and I picked the helicopter excursion to see Montserrat. We were on our way to see the old capitol when our way was blocked by an ash cloud which the pilot didn't want to fly into (and we agreed totally). So we flew upwind of it. It looked like dust cloud except that anything flammable in the path was on fire. I think the eruptions started in 2007

The link to the photos we took is

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipMftbipMNfyILILgk6Bp1RslfevZxc0U_pVLcJV

One of the items is a short video
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2016
    I gave a second thought to the requirements of the present theme: large bodies of water and water flowing in rivers and streams, oceans, lakes, etc., and I think I found some better pictures to illustrate this.

Here they are:

1. Lake, pool and ocean in Acapulco, Mexico (the swimming pool is the longest in the world)

2. Sunrise on the beach in Cancun, Mexico

3. Winter day by Ottawa River, Canada

Iced Waterfalls
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited August 12, 2016
    travelways wrote: »
    I gave a second thought to the requirements of the present theme: large bodies of water and water flowing in rivers and streams, oceans, lakes, etc., and I think I found some better pictures to illustrate this.

Here they are:

1. Lake, pool and ocean in Acapulco, Mexico (the swimming pool is the longest in the world)
    2. Sunrise on the beach in Cancun, Mexico
    3. Winter day by Ottawa River, Canada

Travelways, both sets of photos are lovely! Will consider this second set instead of the first. I know how difficult it can be to choose which photos to share for these mini challenges!
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited August 12, 2016
    grandmaR wrote: »
    This was January of 2010. We were on a cruise which went to Antigua, and I picked the helicopter excursion to see Montserrat. We were on our way to see the old capitol when our way was blocked by an ash cloud which the pilot didn't want to fly into (and we agreed totally). So we flew upwind of it. It looked like dust cloud except that anything flammable in the path was on fire. I think the eruptions started in 2007.

Thanks, GrandmaR. (The link for the album didn't work for me but great to have this additional info.) We had several days on Montserrat - near a black sand beach. It was a lovely island at that time.
    edited August 12, 2016
    My children and I recently vacationed to South Haven Michigan. This was my favorite picture of them playing in Lake Michigan.

CJWluvsjems, welcome to Dgrin! Hope you enjoy this great forum for sharing photos, inspiration, and tips about photography. Thank you for sharing this photo from Lake Michigan. (I grew up near Chicago and have visited Linden Hills near South Haven. Lovely place!)

Please feel free to share two more as you are allowed to enter 3 photos for the mini-challenges.
    edited August 12, 2016
    Travelways, both sets of photos are lovely! Will consider this second set instead of the first. I know how difficult it can be to choose which photos to share for these mini challenges!

Thank you Gretchen :)
    Travelways.com
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2016
    So many wonderful images. With the earth being 70% water, it's no wonder that it shows up in so many images. That and we all seem to be attracted to water.

Here are just a few of mine.

From South Point on the big island of Hawaii,

120090722-IMG_1287-L.jpg

A stream in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness area

1Still%20Waters-L.jpg

Snoqualmie Falls

Snofall%20sunrise2-L.jpg
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
    edited August 12, 2016
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    With the earth being 70% water, it's no wonder that it shows up in so many images. That and we all seem to be attracted to water.

Snoqualmie Falls

Snofall%20sunrise2-L.jpg

Indeed :)

Your Snoqualmie Falls is a beauty!!! clap.gif
    Travelways.com
    edited August 12, 2016
    Thanks, GrandmaR. (The link for the album didn't work for me but great to have this additional info.) We had several days on Montserrat - near a black sand beach. It was a lovely island at that time.

It works for me, but the website recently changed so maybe I have to learn a new way of doing it.

Try this one https://goo.gl/photos/teUTvUp1tm2X759y7
    edited August 12, 2016
    grandmaR wrote: »
    It works for me, but the website recently changed so maybe I have to learn a new way of doing it.

Try this one https://goo.gl/photos/teUTvUp1tm2X759y7

Yes, this link worked. Thanks! It all looks so very different now...
    edited August 12, 2016
    Yes, this link worked. Thanks! It all looks so very different now...

I can only imagine. We didn't get over to the former capitol, nor did we fly over the area where people are living now. The CD was very interesting - it talked about the progress of the lava flow. People had moved out of their houses, but for awhile, they'd go back and farm the land.
    edited August 14, 2016
    There is still plenty of time to share photos for this challenge. It will close Thursday evening, August 18th, at 11 pm EST.

Lots of great entries here!
  • zippyzipzippyzip Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2016
    Reflections
    mini challenge 231: Oceans, lakes, rivers, streams
    www.griffeysunshinephoto.com
    edited August 17, 2016
    zippyzip wrote: »
    mini challenge 231: Oceans, lakes, rivers, streams
    www.griffeysunshinephoto.com

Thank you for your entry! And welcome to Dgrin!
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2016
    Wonderful theme,...all are beautiful so far! Here are mine:

#1 Dusk
    stars-L.jpg

#2 Oregon Coast
    rock2%20%281%29%20%281%29-L.jpg

#3 Blue Boat
    6And2more_tonemapped%20%281%29-L.jpg
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
    edited August 17, 2016
    Great to have so many participants for this mini! It's going to be hard to choose a winner, runners up, honorable mentions, etc. with so many fine entries!

One more day to join this challenge. It ends Thursday evening at 11 pm EST.
    edited August 18, 2016
    kdotaylor wrote: »

#2 Oregon Coast
    rock2%20%281%29%20%281%29-S.jpg

This is so beautiful! clap.gif
    Travelways.com
  • bbentleyphotobbentleyphoto Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2016
    Hi there. I'm new to smugmug. I have 3 photos to enter that I really like. I shoot with a D800 and 24-70 f2.8 lens. I almost always use a polarizer on landscapes.

The first one is shot I took this winter in Coronado, CA. The sun was screaming through the clouds that day. It was one of the best golden sunsets I have ever seen. Was lucky I was over there and ready for it that day.

_RKB8435_sunset%20copy_logo_zps5fomlkcb.jpg

The next shot I like was from this last fishing trip to Montana. We went fishing with a guide on the Blackfoot River near Bonner. We came prepared with waterproof camera bag. The scenery up there was like something you see out of a movie or magazine. I'm not sure if my capture does it justice but here it is. I only had one shot like this for this composition as we were floating down the river rapids fairly swift.

_RKB2883%20copy_zpsbtnwxkvj.jpg

This last shot I took this winter or downtown San Diego at sunrise. A lot of people say its too much saturation, but I didn't add but maybe 5. There's still detail in the clouds. I am actually selling 3 of these prints to a law office at 30"x10" so wish me luck. I really liked the frosty looking water that outlines the buildings reflection perfectly for my taste. I shot a few a different shutter speeds. This one was the best. 2 frame panorama.

_RKB7849-Pano_cleaned%20copy_zps0otx7fqb.jpg
    edited August 18, 2016
    Welcome to the challenges Brett - Beautiful entriesclap.gif

Ha, ha, I have a very similar photo of I think the same river in Montana - I haven't edited and uploaded yet to my gallery :) I like your very much!
    Travelways.com
  • bbentleyphotobbentleyphoto Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2016
    Welcome to the challenges Brett - Beautiful entriesclap.gif

Ha, ha, I have a very similar photo of I think the same river in Montana - I haven't edited and uploaded yet to my gallery :) I like your very much!

Thank you:) There's a lot of great entries so far. Your's are really good really good too:)

You were rafting down the Blackfoot too? Montana is awesome. Love that place.
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2016
    Lots of great shots in this thread! Here's a few snaps from my recent trip to the Big Island.

7D2_2794-PS-X2.jpg
    Share the world

7D2_2843-PS-X2.jpg
    Evening cruise

7D2_2880-PS-X2.jpg
    Last sunset
    Chris
    edited August 18, 2016
    This Mini Challenge is now closed. Thank you all for entering!

I will try to post the results in the next day or two. Judging and commenting will be a difficult task!
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2016
    This is so beautiful! clap.gif

Thank you, Tatiana! That means a lot, coming from you.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • zippyzipzippyzip Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2016
  • jtbjtb Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2016
    A few I've taken over the years

i-ztQQJzN-L.jpg

20140725_183729-2-L.jpg

20140725_184525-L.jpg
    edited August 20, 2016
    Zippyzip and jtb, these last 4 entries are great images! Unfortunately, the mini-challenge closed at 11pm (EST) last night. So we can't consider them in the judging but I plan to comment on my personal favorite from each participant when I post the results.

Thanks again for sharing these! Fun to see your beautiful photos!
  • jtbjtb Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2016
    Zippyzip and jtb, these last 4 entries are great images! Unfortunately, the mini-challenge closed at 11pm (EST) last night. So we can't consider them in the judging but I plan to comment on my personal favorite from each participant when I post the results.

Thanks again for sharing these! Fun to see your beautiful photos!

Thats what I get for not reading the instructions 11doh.gif
    I look forward to reading the comments later.
    Good Luck to all who entered (correctly).
  • Meta4Meta4 Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2016
    Thanks Gretchen for the effort you put into that challenge and the photographers that supplied all those great water photos.

For anyone that wants a proper view of my panorama, it looks better full screen: https://abovephotos.smugmug.com/AP/Sea/i-xn5hLz3/A
    I spent one day completely overwhelmed by the immensity of the landscape there and came back with some mediocre shots.
    I thought the subject was worth extra effort and went back for another day to do it justice and was lucky that the weather held.
    I was near the lighthouse just visible near the centre of the picture and flew my camera a mile out to sea to find the right vantage point.
    I shot 12 frames (2 rows of 6) but bracketed 5 shots each to deal with the dark shadows and bright foam.
    I stitched and layered the 60 images to come up with the completed panorama.

A new challenge topic is up already and I'm staying close to the water.
    edited August 21, 2016
    Meta4 wrote: »
    Thanks Gretchen for the effort you put into that challenge and the photographers that supplied all those great water photos.

For anyone that wants a proper view of my panorama, it looks better full screen: https://abovephotos.smugmug.com/AP/Sea/i-xn5hLz3/A
    I spent one day completely overwhelmed by the immensity of the landscape there and came back with some mediocre shots.
    I thought the subject was worth extra effort and went back for another day to do it justice and was lucky that the weather held.
    I was near the lighthouse just visible near the centre of the picture and flew my camera a mile out to sea to find the right vantage point.
    I shot 12 frames (2 rows of 6) but bracketed 5 shots each to deal with the dark shadows and bright foam.
    I stitched and layered the 60 images to come up with the completed panorama.

A new challenge topic is up already and I'm staying close to the water.

Fantastic!!!! clap.gif
    Travelways.com