Options

Nikon 12-24 or Tamron 15-30?

M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
edited September 2, 2016 in Accessories
I'm jonsing for a FF wide angle to add to the stable and being a Nikon guy - have to consider the Nikon 12-24 f/2.8. I've shot with it a few frames and it's a beast for sure and provided some nice captures.

I've also heard some positive ground swell for the Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD lens instead of the Nikon.

Intended use would be landscapes/sky work, very close track work for bicycle racing, and maybe some buildings/interiors. Then whatever else comes along!

I've currently got a Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 DC HSM (crop body lens) and it's holding up well in spite of the grayed out view when on my FF. It's actually a pretty decent little lens.

I own the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 as well.

Any thoughts and considerations would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2016
    I assume you mean the Nikon 14-24mm, f2.8 and not the DX 12-24mm, f4.

I've owned the 14-24mm for several years. It's a fantastic lens. Arguably one of the best zooms Nikon has ever made. Sharp throughout with good color and contrast. The only downsides are size, weight and the fact that it does not take screw on filters. There are some products that allow filter use, but they are expensive and cumbersome. I use the photodiox system of filters with good success. Only you can decide if these drawbacks would prevent you from using the lens.

Used prices are fantastic right now for this lens.

I cannot comment about the Tammy.
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2016
    Mitchell wrote: »
    I assume you mean the Nikon 14-24mm, f2.8 and not the DX 12-24mm, f4.

I've owned the 14-24mm for several years. It's a fantastic lens. Arguably one of the best zooms Nikon has ever made. Sharp throughout with good color and contrast. The only downsides are size, weight and the fact that it does not take screw on filters. There are some products that allow filter use, but they are expensive and cumbersome. I use the photodiox system of filters with good success. Only you can decide if these drawbacks would prevent you from using the lens.

Used prices are fantastic right now for this lens.

I cannot comment about the Tammy.

Thank you, Mitchell. Yes - fat fingers got me. I was referencing the 14-24 copy of the Nikon f/2.8. I have several friends who shoot this lens and they love it. I convinced one to buy it for his 'Holy Trinity" collection. Yet I'm hearing some really nice things about the Tamron, more specifically edge to edge sharpness. And considerably less expensive to boot.