Options

A rather beautiful "Male Beautiful Demoiselle"

IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
edited September 4, 2016 in Holy Macro
This is only the second time I've ever seen one of these stunning Damselflies. The first time I was with Phil Corley and it did not make itself easy to photograph, as such, I didn't get a shot. However on this occasion, I was actually out with my 100-400L and I took full advantage of the 400mm bit :).

Not as sharp as my 100L Macro would achieve but all things considered, I'm more than happy with this :).

2016-0393.png

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2016
    Great Ian! Too bad the tail hook almost touched your lens...drawing attention unfortunately......I would have cloned it out....bug physiology not withstanding.....
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2016
    Lovely capture Ian, they are indeed beautiful to see.
    Brian v.
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2016
    hahah SB, well, that's a big tail as I was about 7 ft away :D... I see what you mean and now you mention it, it's annoying haha. However thanks though dude, appreciated :)

Thanks also Brian :)
  • Options
    e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Great Ian! I would have cloned it out....bug physiology not withstanding.....

Clone out the genitals? How unkind!

Harold
  • Options
    e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2016
    Ian,

The focus suggests that you used AF, which I have found unsatisfactory for damsels.

Harold
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2016
    Harold, it was indeed AF however if you've ever had the opportunity to photograph one of these particular Damsels, you'll know they don't stay still for very long at all. I was also wielding a 1.2Kg 100-400L series lens on my 7D which is not the lightest piece of kit to hold whilst trying to lock a single focus point on a subject barely an inch long yet an area that is only a few mm in size (eyes) and on a leaf that was blowing very gently in the wind. :D

As such, given the kit I was using, the circumstances within which I was shooting, AF was absolutely fine for me ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Big grins Wisbech UKPosts: 0 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2016
    Hahah that's some interesting advice Katey :).

Thanks for the compliment also. Yeah big lenses aren't helpful for stable macro shots. Ordinarily, I'd have used my macro but I wasn't carrying it at the time. I'll certainly keep your advice in mind for next time I see one :)
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,240 moderator
    edited September 4, 2016
    What a beauty! I love the detail in the wings.

--- Denise