Options

LR Plugin anomalies

WidelightWidelight Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited September 14, 2016 in Bug Reporting
I'm a first-time poster, but long-time devoted LR and SmugMug user. And I love/need the LR plugin to make it all work together.

Noticed a few things today that I can't explain, not sure if they're bugs or something else. BTW, I have LR CC 2015.6.1 and Plugin 3.0.8.0 and I searched the forums and didn't see anything related.

1) I love the new Cover Image for use on the collage styles, but cannot get the LR plugin to activate it (edit gallery/appearance/show cover image) either when creating a new gallery or transforming an old one. However, when I edit the gallery online (customize/ gallery settings/appearance) after attempting to create it through the plugin, the selection for the cover image immediately picks the the image I selected in LR. So they are obviously talking, but not actually activating the feature. The work-around is simple but inconvenient and lots of extra steps when many galleries involved.

2) Something has changed related to the need to republish galleries. It seems every few days most, if not all, the images in my galleries are being flagged as 'modified photos to re-publish' but for no apparent reason. At least not that I can identify. Not sure if this is LR updating metadata in the background or something with the plugin. But it's terribly time consuming to republish all galleries, which is necessary when I can't distinguish between legitimate changes I have made to images and the redundant ones being generated by LR or the plugin.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2016
    Widelight wrote: »
    2) Something has changed related to the need to republish galleries. It seems every few days most, if not all, the images in my galleries are being flagged as 'modified photos to re-publish' but for no apparent reason. At least not that I can identify. Not sure if this is LR updating metadata in the background or something with the plugin. But it's terribly time consuming to republish all galleries, which is necessary when I can't distinguish between legitimate changes I have made to images and the redundant ones being generated by LR or the plugin.

There are lots of reasons these can change, most of which you can control in the settings for the plugin, some you cannot. For example, if you change ANYTHING about an image's develop settings, the image is marked to republish.

It is also worth noting, though, that metadata changes can mark an image for republish, but it is smart enough if you only change metadata, to only send metadata -- it goes very quickly and does not send the image.

Some of the metadata changes are cascaded. For example, change a keyword (let's say you had "Schol Shots" and fixed the typo to "School Shots"), this will cause every image tagged with that keyword to be marked for republish, even though you just changed the keyword itself. But again, that kind of metadata change only sends up the change, not the image.

There also have been some bugs in recent LR (not Smugmug) releases that incorrectly marked items to republish, notably if you rebuilt previews for un-changed images. These were quirky and hard to explain (I know, as I've tried to show them to people who can't reproduce, so take it as possible hallucinations), but could affect a lot of images you did nothing at all to.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2016
    Ferguson wrote: »

There also have been some bugs in recent LR (not Smugmug) releases that incorrectly marked items to republish, notably if you rebuilt previews for un-changed images. These were quirky and hard to explain (I know, as I've tried to show them to people who can't reproduce, so take it as possible hallucinations), but could affect a lot of images you did nothing at all to.

Thanks, I am aware of the potential for cascading metadata, but have never seen anything like this in the past. However, it does possibly correlate with the most recent update to LR in the last few weeks (I don't recall the exact date), and your quirky description fits exactly. Definitely not hallucincations!

I assume answer still coming on item 1?
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited August 31, 2016
    Widelight wrote: »
    1) I love the new Cover Image for use on the collage styles, but cannot get the LR plugin to activate it (edit gallery/appearance/show cover image) either when creating a new gallery or transforming an old one. However, when I edit the gallery online (customize/ gallery settings/appearance) after attempting to create it through the plugin, the selection for the cover image immediately picks the the image I selected in LR. So they are obviously talking, but not actually activating the feature. The work-around is simple but inconvenient and lots of extra steps when many galleries involved.

Looks like the "Show Cover Image" setting isn't being saved, even though the LR plugin tries to save the changes. I'll pass this along to our Lightroom Plugin developer and we'll clear this up as soon as we can.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited September 12, 2016
    If you upgrade to the latest version of the SM LR Plugin, this should now be fixed. Cover Image Settings should now be saved.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2016
    leftquark wrote: »
    If you upgrade to the latest version of the SM LR Plugin, this should now be fixed. Cover Image Settings should now be saved.

Looks good, thanks!! wings.gif