I'll just leave this here for Halloween...

CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
edited September 14, 2016 in Wildlife
I'll just leave this here for HALLOWEEN................:wink :grim :wink

(Warming their wings at Merced Wildlife Reserve, Merced, Ca.)

IMG_7694%20Tadj%20Nik%20Sharpen%20crop%20sat-X2.jpg

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2016
    Wow Jo! Yeah that is gnarly pose! Perfect for Halloween!
  • yendikenoyendikeno Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    Love it!
    Regards,
    AZFred
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    Well seen! And great for Halloween.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited September 13, 2016
    Cool and creepy! :D

Please post some more from your visit! I'm due for a trip out there myself. deal.gif
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    Great capture!! Wouldn't want to lie down or sit to still around that bunch for long. :D

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    kdog (Joel) - I'd wait another month or so before heading over to Merced or San Luis Reserves. Not much there right now and the fields are still pretty dry. They should be flooding pretty soon and the snow geese, cranes, etc. should be returning by November. San Luis Tule Elk are in the rut right now, so there are glorious males with their harems roaming about.
    I also visited Colusa Reserve the other day - same story. Pretty dry fields and hopefully flooding will happen soon and the shore birds, geese and cranes return.
    So, bottom line - save your energy for another month or so unless you want elk.
    I've been playing and learning a new lens (Tamron 150-600) and still haven't gotten the shots that I really want - but it's getting there.

Egrets are about the only noticeable avian lovelies - besides the resident turkey vultures eek7.gif

Egret from Merced Reserve:

IMG_7768%20Tadj%20Omber-X2.jpg

Egret from Colusa Reserve:

IMG_7841%20Tadj-X2.jpg

Tule elk - San Luis Reserve:

IMG_7821%20Nik%20sharp%20crop%20BW-X2.jpg

IMG_7820%20crop%20tadj-X2.jpg
  • bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    Great capture! Love their positioning and the backlighting. We have so many around here I don't consider them creepy any more. Kinda got used to them. So beautiful in flight and they don't seem to squabble with one another.

best,
    -Len
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    Thanks for all your comments.

And Len - I of course directed them in their positioning.................NOT! As a matter of fact, when I first drove in I thought that the NP had erected statues of birds on the platform fencing. They were just silhouettes and hold perfectly still. As I walked a little closer with gear in hand, I saw that one of the "statues" had moved. I stopped and then started clicking as I slowly walked a little closer. I could see they were getting antsy with me threatening their peaceful morning ritual, so I stopped and stood there for about 5 minutes - the extent of my tolerance for patience. They eventually all flew off except one who hung around until I was about 5 feet from him. I got some close-ups of him, but I must admit he is truly ugly!! So in deference to his sensibilities, I won't post that picture. :D
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Thanks for all your comments.

And Len - I of course directed them in their positioning.................NOT! As a matter of fact, when I first drove in I thought that the NP had erected statues of birds on the platform fencing. They were just silhouettes and hold perfectly still. As I walked a little closer with gear in hand, I saw that one of the "statues" had moved. I stopped and then started clicking as I slowly walked a little closer. I could see they were getting antsy with me threatening their peaceful morning ritual, so I stopped and stood there for about 5 minutes - the extent of my tolerance for patience. They eventually all flew off except one who hung around until I was about 5 feet from him. I got some close-ups of him, but I must admit he is truly ugly!! So in deference to his sensibilities, I won't post that picture. :D
    Great shot. When I first looked at it, I wasn't sure whether it was real or some fence ornaments. The orange backlighting does add a Halloween touch. Well done. thumb.gif
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    Very well-done shots Jo! Love the Vultures!
    Would like to hear more about your experiences and satisfaction with that lens...
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • kscooperkscooper Registered Users Posts: 387 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2016
    Hey Jo -

Great backlighting on the vultures' wings. Maybe you could swing a deal with a 3D printing firm and mass market those for All Hallows Eve. :D

Eric

good gear; not enough time