Options

black on black or white on white?

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,190 moderator
edited November 29, 2005 in SmugMug Support
This just started happening today. I went to my sm site, and couldn't find most of the text. In most of the themes it was better, but the Gallery > Customize screen looks like this. (Yes, it's in IE, but text should at least be readable).

My customize gallery screen
46250711-M.jpg

I thought it was just at my site, so I then navigated to SM's help pages, and they also look the same.

Smugmug help page example. They're all like this. Black text on black background or white text on white background.
46252173-M.jpg

So has something changed that could account for this odd display problem?
My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2005
    Try deleting all your smugmug cookies. I can't test in IE atm, so this is just a guess as to how to fix it (we are not getting any emails from other users, so it probably is a local problem to your machine).

And yes, we make jpegs of your uploaded GIFs - only the original remains a GIF.
  • Options
    HarveylevineHarveylevine Registered Users Posts: 325 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2005
    {JT} wrote:
    Try deleting all your smugmug cookies. I can't test in IE atm, so this is just a guess as to how to fix it (we are not getting any emails from other users, so it probably is a local problem to your machine).

JT: Unfortunately I just noticed the exact same problem with Safari on the Mac. I can no longer see the captions at the bottom of each picture (it is just black on black), the bio text is black on a very dark gray and just about unreadable.

The style I've always used is "Smugmug" & "Black"

Hope this helps,

Harvey
    Harvey Levine
    Nikon D610, Nikon D300S
    Sony A6000
    http://harveylevine.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2005
    Still having problems.
    {JT} wrote:
    I deleted the smugmug cookie before I logged on. All caches were cleared last night as I logged off too. There were no remnants of any browsing activity from previous sessions when I signed back on today.

The fonts are gone at the main smugmug site. What used to be medium grey on either a black or white background is now black on black and white on white. The text is there, just not visible.

I can't read any of the help files, and I can't read captions on my smugmug site, nor any other smugmug site. Comments are also invisible. Just about anything useful is invisible. This all began yesterday as the slideshow and 3 more styles became available.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2005
    JT: Unfortunately I just noticed the exact same problem with Safari on the Mac. I can no longer see the captions at the bottom of each picture (it is just black on black), the bio text is black on a very dark gray and just about unreadable.

The style I've always used is "Smugmug" & "Black"

Hope this helps,

Harvey

Harvey, your site, viewed in Safari:

46318130-L.jpg

46318140-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    Harvey, your site, viewed in Safari:

Andy: Thanks for taking the trouble to look into this problem. Here is what I see in Safari...
    46320042-L.jpg

In my screen shot the caption text is black not white as it is in yours. David_S85 has migrated his posts on this subject to Baldy's thread announcing the new features.
    http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=23207

On that thread, I indicated that I use Safari 1.2.3 on Mac OS 10.3.5. The really strange thing is that Smugmug looks normal when using an old version of Mazilla, but today my view using Safari looks like my screen shot above. So the problem both David_S85 and I have does not appear to be related to the Operating system (he apparently uses windows) or the version of Java being used (since Mazilla works for me). Very strange. The fact that your view using Safari shows normal behavior and mine does not is even more strange. Perhaps somehow it's related to the version of Safari being used or the version of the OS?

In any event, I appreciate your taking the trouble to generate a screen shot and show me what you see. I can't come up with any theory about why my screen shot differs.

Thanks,

Harvey
    Harvey Levine
    Nikon D610, Nikon D300S
    Sony A6000
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2005
    User issue? Then why did this all work fine before the 27th of November and now doesn't?

One exception here. Mrs. D_S85's latest build of IE6 is unaffected by this.

The fact that other people are seeing a disfunction (and the same disfunction) indicates that it probably isn't a user issue. It may be a browser(s) issue of some sort, but I do believe it has something to do with the upgrades on the 27th.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2005
    Update
    JT fixed it !!!

Link to my exuberance...
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=204326&postcount=31

Hey Harveylevine, is yours working again too?
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    JT fixed it !!!

Hey Harveylevine, is yours working again too?
    David: I'm at work today and won't be able to try out Smugmug until I get home this evening. I'll post the answer tonight. That's great that JT fixed the problem! I'll bet that whatever fixed your problem also fixed mine.

Harvey
    Harvey Levine
    Nikon D610, Nikon D300S
    Sony A6000