Options

Square thumbnails in Organizer

phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
edited September 17, 2016 in Bug Reporting
Hi there...

I think there is a UI design issue with Square thumbnails...

I created a new gallery and uploaded some photos to it. The gallery is set to "Collage landscape" so i cannot choose between square thumbnails or not. In organizer all thumbs look like square thumbnails.

i added one of the images to a gallery where i collect selected photos (In organizer using drag'n'drop and select 'COLLECT'). In the collect-gallery the photo also appears like a square thumbnail.

I compared the photo with other thumbnails and some had a square aspect ratio while others do not. I checked the source galleries for the gallery style and they all look like the default which is collage landscape. Maybe that was different in the past.

If i switch the gallery style in the gallery settings to "SmugMug" i get an option for "Square thumbnails". If i turn that option off and switch back to "Collage landscape" the thumbnail photo for pictures from that gallery in the "Collect gallery" have switched from square aspect ratio to original ratio.

From what i can see the "hidden" (visible in gallery style "SmugMug") option "Square thumbnails" has an effect to how thumbnails look in the organizer.

Why is the option "Square thumbnails" not visible for collage landscape if this option has an effect to the aspect ratio of thumbnails in the organizer? In the organizer it might be helpful to see if a photo is portrait or landscape.

Attached is a screenshot which shows a thumbnail of a collected photo from a gallery using "Journal style" and the the same thumbnail after i switched the gallery style to "Smugmug", turned off the "Square thumbnail" option and switched back to "Journal style" for the source gallery. The Gallery style for the "Samples"/collect gallery is set to "Thumbnails" but that doesn't matter since that gallery is only used as source for a background gallery slideshow for the homepage. Even if i switch the style to "Journal" the thumbnails for the collected images still have a square thumbnail if the "hidden" option for "Square thumbnails" in the source gallery has not been set to off.

Please add "Square thumbnails" to either all gallery settings or allow switching between square and original aspect ratio in the organizer.

P.S. i did go through all of my galleries and figured out that it makes a difference if the gallery was once set to "SmugMug" style or not.

For some galleries i had to follow these steps to get original aspect ratio thumbnails in the organizer:
-Select gallery
-go to "Settings"
-select "Appearance"
-switch to gallery style "Smugmug"
-turn "Off" "Square thumbnails" (which was set to "On")
-switch back to "Collage landscape(default)"
-select "SAVE"

For some galleries this is different:
-Select gallery
-go to "Settings"
-select "Appearance"
-switch to gallaery style "Smugmug"
-turn "ON" "Square thumbnails" (which was set to "Off")
-select "SAVE"
-go to "Settings"
-select "Appearance"
-turn "Off" "Square thumbnails" (which was set to "On")
-switch back to "Collage landscape(default)"
-select "SAVE"

All my galleries do now show original aspect ratio thumbnails in organizer. Would be nice if i do not have to use the workaround "switch-to-smugmug-style-and-turn-off-square-thumbs-before-select-default-gallery-style" in the future.

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,245 moderator
    edited September 11, 2016
    This was reported (and acknowledged as a problem) a couple of weeks ago in the thread Thumbnails In Organizer.

It looks like you and I both found the workaround - I'm happy it works but it's annoying to need to need this extra step, especially given that this was not a problem before.

--- Denise
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited September 12, 2016
    The Square Thumbnails option in the Gallery Settings was extremely confusing to customers since it only had a visual impact on Galleries when set to SmugMug Style. To reduce the confusion I had the option only be shown when the gallery style is SmugMug. As you've found, the downside to this is that the organizer now shows only square thumbnails. There a few options I've been toying with but haven't had a chance to implement:
    - Switch the default behavior from Square Thumbs to Non-Square thumbs (but still let you change it by doing the work-around)
    - Always use Non-Square thumbs when gallery style is not SmugMug Style

A toggle in the Organizer will have to wait for a future project, since the organizer is using the "Ti" and "Th" display sizes for its thumbnails and we'd have to reprocess all the photos to switch the thumbnails. In the future, when we switch to using scaled down "Smalls" this would be doable within the Organizer.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,245 moderator
    edited September 16, 2016
    leftquark wrote: »
    There a few options I've been toying with but haven't had a chance to implement:
    - Switch the default behavior from Square Thumbs to Non-Square thumbs (but still let you change it by doing the work-around)
    - Always use Non-Square thumbs when gallery style is not SmugMug Style
    I vote for option 2, always using non-square thumbs for gallery styles other than SmugMug.

--- Denise
  • Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2016
    I vote for option 2, always using non-square thumbs for gallery styles other than SmugMug.

Me too... always show original aspect ratio please.