Options

Selling Pictures!

itchyfeetitchyfeet Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
edited November 29, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi

I have been using Smugmug for around 9mths. I am very satisfied with the service!

I have taken lots of photographs while I have been travelling round the world over the last few months. I never considered selling my photos before, but I was wondering how easy it was to do on Smugmug?

Or, more importantly, how can I advertise my photos so that I can find some customers? People have told me they like my photos and that I have a good eye for photographs. So, it would be useful to earn a little bit of cash from selling these pictures. But, I don´t know how to sell to a WIDER audience. Suggestions? Who would want to buy my photos? Is it possible to turn this into a sustainable business?

Oh - at moment I only use an amateur 3MegaPix Canon...although I intend to upgrade to a much better camera in due course! Still, some of the photos still look good I think. I love photography, even though I am an amateur!

Thanks
Elliot
(UK, but currently in Argentina...yeah!)

Comments

• Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2005
    What is your Smugmug site? Can we see your work? I am not sure how to tell you to advertise your photos, but I do think SM makes it really easy for people to purchase them.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    itchyfeetitchyfeet Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2005
    My site is:

http://itchyfeet.smugmug.com

At the moment I have not sorted the photos out into ones I think are good enough to sell and ones I do not. The best photos are the scenic photos from around the world, especially in New Zealand (ignore the party photos etc!)

Let me know what you think.

Thanks
    Elliot

JimM wrote:
    What is your Smugmug site? Can we see your work? I am not sure how to tell you to advertise your photos, but I do think SM makes it really easy for people to purchase them.
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2005
    You have some great shots there, with a good knack for composition. I wish I could tell you how to sell them, but I don't know any secrets myself. You would need to find the right market. Good luck!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos