High School Lacrosse

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited September 25, 2016 in Sports
First time shooting Lacrosse. Maine state championship. A friend's son is on the team so I offered to come and shoot. Ended up getting a media pass so I could be down next to the field. Was using a rented Canon 100-400L Mark II, which was great after I adjusted to the slower aperture. The reach on APS-C was remarkable - max 640mm effective! And it's wicked sharp. The IS was really useful to settle the viewfinder and the image at that long length. Pardon the watermark as these are for sale. Thanks for looking...

7D2_8830-X3.jpg

7D2_8849-X3.jpg

7D2_8853-X3.jpg

7D2_8858-X3.jpg

7D2_8861-X3.jpg

7D2_8873-X3.jpg

7D2_8907-X3.jpg

7D2_8914-X3.jpg

7D2_8942-X3.jpg

7D2_8957-X3.jpg
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited June 19, 2016
    These look great. Liking #'s 7 & 9 best.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2016
    Thanks David. 7 is my fav. Don't you know I want to buy a 100-400L II now. But I should really wait until the price comes down, I don't need this kind of reach very often.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited June 20, 2016
    Thanks David. 7 is my fav. Don't you know I want to buy a 100-400L II now. But I should really wait until the price comes down, I don't need this kind of reach very often.

They were just $1479 a week ago at the Canon Refurb store. I had it set up to email me a notice if they were $1500 or less, and they did that. Wouldn't you know it I was away when it came up. Oh well. :cry
    My Smugmug
    edited June 20, 2016
    Dang, that would be just within reach, good idea. I like the theory that refurbs are at least as good as new because it's a lens that has been carefully examined end to end and repaired/tuned up by a human being, rather than just another lens straight off the assembly line.
    -Jack

edited June 20, 2016
    How did you set up the email alert? I'm chatting with Canon Support and they say it can't be done! Did you do it through the google or something else?
    -Jack

edited June 20, 2016
    How did you set up the email alert? I'm chatting with Canon Support and they say it can't be done! Did you do it through the google or something else?

Canon support won't know. Not their department.

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/

If a refurb item is not currently available, you can hit the notify link and set your price threshold.

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/canon-refurb-stock-tracker/

Refurbs aren't all necessarily needing repairs. They can be stock that is returned to Canon due to any number of circumstances, including Canon taking back stock that wasn't paid for by the dealer; read: "brand new." One thing I've learned is to watch and track prices. I've bought my last half dozen big ticket items from the refurb store. Example is a couple SL1's that have varied in price from $600 for the body only but occasionally are in the refurb store for $249. That's a big swing. And everything they have can be that way. Watch and wait is the key. Could be a year. Could be the day after tomorrow. One almost has to hit that site every day to see how prices go up and down. B&H can't touch their prices, most of the time.

Also, look at used items (YMMV). Nikon items at their sister site - same deals there.
    My Smugmug
  • WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2016
    Jack, these rock! I bet these were a blast to shoot! I have been wanting to try for a Lacrosse game, just haven't made the time to do so yet.... I like 3 & 6 the best... I think I would like 7 as well, but the horizon is janky.... gotta try a Lacrosse game this year!
    Lee Wiren
    edited June 21, 2016
    Wiren wrote: »
    Jack, these rock! I bet these were a blast to shoot! I have been wanting to try for a Lacrosse game, just haven't made the time to do so yet.... I like 3 & 6 the best...
    Thanks, it was fun. The reach and sharpness of the 100-400L II was profound. Seemed easily as sharp as my 70-200/2.8 II, and I didn't have to do any aggressive cropping in post. I'll get a refurb someday.
    I think I would like 7 as well, but the horizon is janky.... gotta try a Lacrosse game this year!
    Oh please! That shot has it all (f.a.c.t. AND eyes) and you are worried about the horizon? :-P I can't level it or the head of the stick will get cropped.
    -Jack

edited June 21, 2016
    David, cool, but no wonder I couldn't find it - doesn't seem like a Canon owned site. I'll give it a shot, thanks.
    -Jack

• WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2016
    Thanks, it was fun. The reach and sharpness of the 100-400L II was profound. Seemed easily as sharp as my 70-200/2.8 II, and I didn't have to do any aggressive cropping in post. I'll get a refurb someday.

Oh please! That shot has it all (f.a.c.t. AND eyes) and you are worried about the horizon? :-P I can't level it or the head of the stick will get cropped.

rolleyes1.gif, I just have to mess with you Jack..., your stuff is always so awesome I figured somebody better keep you on the level.....(sorry, that's a terrible pun....rolleyes1.gif).

Your shot is awesome, as they all always are, so if I had to find just one thing.... just one, well, :D

I assume you will be shooting more Lacrosse? I am looking forward to seeing more shots.

Lee
    Lee Wiren
    edited June 21, 2016
    Haha, well I will take that compliment, thanks. That shot (7) has not been cropped or rotated. HS Lax season is over. I suppose I could offer to shoot club lax over the summer, but I would want it to be a meaningful game. Indeed there are lots of photo ops in lacrosse. Great game. Helps that I played in high school.
    -Jack

• sports shooter68sports shooter68 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 13, 2016
    Wow great shots, very sharp
  • The LeaderThe Leader Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2016
    edited August 16, 2016
    Thanks!
    -Jack

• wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2016
    Very nice set. #7 is really good.
    Regards

Will