Monitor Calibration

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
edited October 15, 2016 in Digital Darkroom
I'm looking for a monitor calibration device.. it needs to be simple (i'm old) and it needs to be as inexpensive as possible (I'm on a fixed income:deal) anyone have any good ideas??
thanks
Lynn

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited September 20, 2016
    Hi Lynn,

I use a Color Munki and it seems to work fine. It makes my high contrast colorful screen look flat, dim, and lifeless just like "paper", which is how Marc described monitor calibration to me years ago. But I get good match between screen images and print and they seem to look fine on other folk's monitors or iPad or HD TV displays so I think it works just fine.

You may ( probably will have to ) download your software from their site on the web for the current versions, but the Color Munki seems to work for me.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2016
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Hi Lynn,

I use a Color Munki and it seems to work fine. It makes my high contrast colorful screen look flat, dim, and lifeless just like "paper", which is how Marc described monitor calibration to me years ago. But I get good match between screen images and print and they seem to look fine on other folk's monitors or iPad or HD TV displays so I think it works just fine.

You may ( probably will have to ) download your software from their site on the web for the current versions, but the Color Munki seems to work for me.

Thanks Pathfinder.. I'll look into it. I actually don't want one, I prefer to live in ignorance but I'm doing a lot of old photo restoration work and it has to be correct.. so..ne_nau.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited September 23, 2016
    Some photo clubs own a Color Munki and let all their members all share its use annually - just a thought if you are near a photo club somewhere.

Most college campuses have a photo club somewhere as well.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2016
    I use a Spyder. I don't like it as much as I did my Huey (which no longer worked with my operating system), but it's fine. Easy peasy. And It hink they have a consumer model that's not that expensive.
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2016
    divamum wrote: »
    I use a Spyder. I don't like it as much as I did my Huey (which no longer worked with my operating system), but it's fine. Easy peasy. And It hink they have a consumer model that's not that expensive.

Me too...Spyder Pro 5...easy to use...and if print matching is any indication...it's pretty much spot on. This is my second Spyder and I'll buy another one if the need ever arises.
    Highly recommended.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • gdmgdm Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    I am using the ColorMunki Display. The mfg. Software was ok but am now using DisplayCAL open source software which is free and works with the ColorMunki Display. This is advanced CM software but does provide user selectable aim points including variabe white point and xy coordinates targeting for critical screen to print (viewing box) match.

Munki Display is a good value knowing you can grow with it using the open source DisplayCAL software down the road.

Cheers!
    GDM