Options

Any way to limit print sizes by individual photo?

dbeene98dbeene98 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited October 5, 2016 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I am new to SmugMug and I'm setting up my galleries and pricelists. I have photos that range from panoramic to square in aspect ratio. I would like to be able to offer only the appropriate sizes for each photo and exclude ones that just won't work. For example, a photo that is cropped to fit a 5 x 10 or 10 x 20, I do not want the customer to see an option to buy it as a 10 x 10. Is there a way to do this?

I apologize if this has been covered. I've searched the forums but have not been able to find an answer to this. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited October 4, 2016
    dbeene98 wrote: »
    I have photos that range from panoramic to square in aspect ratio. I would like to be able to offer only the appropriate sizes for each photo and exclude ones that just won't work. For example, a photo that is cropped to fit a 5 x 10 or 10 x 20, I do not want the customer to see an option to buy it as a 10 x 10. Is there a way to do this?
    You would need to set up a price list that includes only the sizes you want to sell for the specified photos.

If all of the photos in the gallery are in the same aspect ratio then you can assign the gallery to the pricelist. If only some of the photos in the gallery are in the 5x10 or 10x20 aspect ratio then you will need to override the pricelist assignment at the photo level.

Since you need multiple pricelists to accomplish this you would need a business level account.

To assign a pricelist at a photo level, click on the SINGLE PHOTOS specification in the pricelist and browse to the photos.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2016
    You would need to set up a price list that includes only the sizes you want to sell for the specified photos.

If all of the photos in the gallery are in the same aspect ratio then you can assign the gallery to the pricelist. If only some of the photos in the gallery are in the 5x10 or 10x20 aspect ratio then you will need to override the pricelist assignment at the photo level.

Since you need multiple pricelists to accomplish this you would need a business level account.

To assign a pricelist at a photo level, click on the SINGLE PHOTOS specification in the pricelist and browse to the photos.

--- Denise

Thank you Denise! I'm only at the Portfolio Level, so that answers my question.

As an alternative, I think I will just put in the caption of each photo what sizes will work for that particular photo.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2016
    As an alternative, I think I will just put in the caption of each photo what sizes will work for that particular photo.
    That should help.

Are you aware that you don't need to retain the SmugMug header on your site? And that you can switch to the mini-footer? You can change both of these settings by clicking Customize... Content and Design, then selecting the settings button.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2016
    That should help.

Are you aware that you don't need to retain the SmugMug header on your site? And that you can switch to the mini-footer? You can change both of these settings by clicking Customize... Content and Design, then selecting the settings button.

--- Denise

Good suggestions! I've got a lot to learn!

Thanks Denise!
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2016
    Denise, if you're still around, can I ask another unrelated question?

I am trying to display a photo of myself on my About Me page. I uploaded the photo to a private gallery. But it seems the photo won't appear on the page unless I am logged in. I know there must be a way around this, but I can't figure it out. Do I have to make that gallery public?

Edit:

Nevermind, I think I figured it out. :)
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2016
    I am trying to display a photo of myself on my About Me page. I uploaded the photo to a private gallery. But it seems the photo won't appear on the page unless I am logged in.
    It looks like you're all set.

The thing to remember is that if the gallery is set to private only you can see it, and only when logged on to smug. For photos you want to show on your site (or elsewhere) but where you don't want the gallery to show, set the gallery to unlisted. Unlisted galleries are only shown if the viewer has the direct link so they won't pop up on your /browse page.

--- Denise