toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
edited October 25, 2016 in Street and Documentary
_DSC1554-X3.jpg
Rags

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator
    edited October 12, 2016
    I like this a lot, Rags, but I would crop it some, maybe square anchored at the top or 4 x 5, dunno. The part below the awning doesn't add much, IMO, and the painter would be larger after a crop. If this is already a crop, I'd look at the original to see whether you can include the full street lamp at the left.
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2016
    Thanks for the comments Richard

That lamp gave me trouble, but it's weight was too much and offset the painter.. the result was not as good as posted
    Rags
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2016
    I'm with Richard on the cropping. I'd raise the bottom line until the entire signage for the restaurant is gone, but no more than that. I'd bring in the left margin until there is no gold/dark yellow paint showing. Yeah, it squares it up pretty much but it sure focuses your attention to the painter and, to me, makes for a stronger shot. Nice work.

I wanted to comment on the OOPS shot but didn't know what to say.

See you,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2016
    Thanks Tom...
    Rags
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2016
    I'm with Richard on the cropping. I'd raise the bottom line until the entire signage for the restaurant is gone, but no more than that. I'd bring in the left margin until there is no gold/dark yellow paint showing. Yeah, it squares it up pretty much but it sure focuses your attention to the painter and, to me, makes for a stronger shot. Nice work.

I wanted to comment on the OOPS shot but didn't know what to say.

See you,

Tom

I like this shot too and agree with the cropping suggestion however, I would crop it just below the restaurant sign headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2016
    Thanks Cristobal...

All the comments are valid, welcomed and appreciated...

Allow me to tell you guys of my evolution as a photographer...

I shot races for years, where the image was subject centric; sharp & separated with bokeh behind.
    Subject occupied about 30%+ of the image.

Then I got interested in street (the documentary forum helped me find my way)
    Context then became more important and subject centric wasn't as important
    The context can be as important to the image as the subject, therefore less separation bokeh

Now I'm off the chart with abstracts... who knew?

Again... thanks folks
    Rags