Options

When professionals need a travel zoom

alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
edited October 21, 2016 in Cameras
Hi all,
for the times you are on vacation and you want to cover some focal length ranges with you what would your options.
I shoot my weddings with my two d750 cameras but I find many times but when you want to add a super zoom on those things became heavy and expensive.

For the past I have used the a6000 when travelling but I did not like their super zoom lenses nor the handling (for some reason I find the camera extremely small for my hands).

I would like to stay perhaps at the aps-c sensor range to get more from the crop factor and at the same time find some zoom lenses with long magnification factor that do not cost as much as the full frame ones.

One thought was the buy a second hand d7200 that have up to iso 400 the same dynamic range with my d750 (d7200 can be the third back up camera in my bag) and one of the best snr for aps-c camera.

Nikon produces for dx camera a 18-140 VR lens. This 140 would get me to the 200mm fx equivalent region which might be fun to have.

What would it be your combo for travelling (with one lens only).
Regards
Alex

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,797 moderator
    edited October 15, 2016
    No, the NIKKOR AF-S DX 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR will never be part of my "professional" travel kit. Yes, I could see using it if photography was not a major part of the trip (i.e. a quick family vacation with no great image expectations.)

I have started a Nikon DX kit which will eventually have 3-4 lenses, depending upon the particular type travel and destinations. Using the Nikon D7200 DX body:

The center of the kit, a large-aperture standard/normal zoom, is the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM. This is a very high-quality zoom, relatively light, capable of professional control over bokeh and DOF.

For wide-angle vista landscapes, architectural photography and other high resolution imagery with correctable barrel distortion and correctable CAs, I use a Tokina AT-X Pro SD 12-24mm F4 (IF) DX*. Available used so you don't have to break the bank. (Actually, there are a bunch of capable DX wide-zooms from many manufacturers and at almost any price range.)
    *(Sorry, this lens was inadvertently omitted from the post)

For a telephoto zoom I started with a Tokina 50-135mm f/2.8 AT-X SD DX. this is an older AF-D type lens. Sadly, AF consistency and AF accuracy suffer, except in Live View where it's slow but good. Ultimately I will replace this with something much better and probably the Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/4 G ED VR. The Nikkor is head-and-shoulders above the Tokina, and has a price tag to prove it.

Add to this a small, large-aperture prime lens, and you have a very versatile travel kit that any professional would be proud to use, and it should be capable of professional results.

To travel lighter and for much less money, and if you can count on good light or use with a flash with AF-Assist, you might use the NIKKOR 55-200mm AF-S DX f/4-5.6G ED VR II (or III) for the long zoom. Extremely light and refreshingly high resolution at most settings, it couples with the Sigma 17-50mm above to form a very nice and compact basic kit for vacations. Occasionally the AF can refuse to cooperate, but most of the time, and using AF-Assist, it works a treat. Used it almost exclusively for family stuff today and it is very capable, even wide open. Just don't mistreat it because it's not too durable.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2016
    I like the idea of the D7200 as a third body, personally I love the flexibility of my D750/7200 kit and they behave very similarly just with the stop difference in noise.

If I'm reading this right I take it that you mean a camera for your to travel with VS shoot work on?

If it's the former for the D7200 I'd probably go with something like the 16-80 F2.8-4, the 24-120 equivalent I feel is the best compromise right now for IQ and zoom range. Though I'd look into this lens before making any decisions, not that there's anything that I know that's wrong with it, I simply haven't looked into it much.

Also if this is just a travel camera while having a third body for pro work could be useful would something as large as a D7200 be good for your style of traveling? Would something pocketable be better?

When traveling the question isn't always what's the best camera but what's the camera that's going to be on you the most? And sometimes it's worth a bit of a hit in image quality if it means you'll get more shots, the big question here is what do you have in mind for a final output?
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2016
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    No, the NIKKOR AF-S DX 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR will never be part of my "professional" travel kit. Yes, I could see using it if photography was not a major part of the trip (i.e. a quick family vacation with no great image expectations.)

I have started a Nikon DX kit which will eventually have 3-4 lenses, depending upon the particular type travel and destinations. Using the Nikon D7200 DX body:

The center of the kit, a large-aperture standard/normal zoom, is the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM. This is a very high-quality zoom, relatively light, capable of professional control over bokeh and DOF.

For wide-angle vista landscapes, architectural photography and other high resolution imagery with correctable barrel distortion and correctable CAs. Available used so you don't have to break the bank. (Actually, there are a bunch of capable DX wide-zooms from many manufacturers and at almost any price range.)

For a telephoto zoom I started with a Tokina 50-135mm f/2.8 AT-X SD DX. this is an older AF-D type lens. Sadly, AF consistency and AF accuracy suffer, except in Live View, where it's slow but good. Ultimately I will replace this with something much better and probably the Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/4 G ED VR. The Nikkor is head-and-shoulders above the Tokina, and has a price tag to prove it.

Add to this a small, large-aperture prime lens, and you have a very versatile travel kit that any professional would be proud to use, and it should be capable of professional results.

To travel lighter and for much less money, and if you can count on good light or use with a flash with AF-Assist, you might use the NIKKOR 55-200mm AF-S DX f/4-5.6G ED VR II (or III) for the long zoom. Extremely light and refreshingly high resolution at most settings, it couples with the Sigma 17-50mm above to form a very nice and compact basic kit for vacations. Occasionally the AF can refuse to cooperate, but most of the time, and using AF-Assist, it works a treat. Used it almost exclusively for family stuff today and it is very capable, even wide open. Just don't mistreat it because it's not too durable.

Let me redefine my "professional" kit. When I travel I always take my d750 with couple of quality primes for any shoots I have planned.
    But somehow I find that I need a kit (camera+lens with large zoom) for my walks as a tourist. Now the part that somehow differentiates me is that my "touristic" mode includes me talking to strangers and asking them to take their portrait shot. In such cases I need many times different focal lengths. Some times wide to include background and do some storytelling and some other times I need to crop very tight.
    I do that consistently as I try to develop my social skills and improve my self (please lets not judge that now). This is why I need an okayish lens because many times such candidate shots are super nice for portofolio. They have spirit and something that my "polished" shots do not have.
    This is the reason I though a lens like the nikkor 18-140 would allow me to be flexible. Do very wide shots of kids doing sports (after taking permission) and some tight headshots.
    Any ideas for such a setup?
    Regards
    Alex

P.S And part of the system should be a small fill flash. Perhaps sb-400
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2016
    alaios wrote: »
    Let me redefine my "professional" kit. When I travel I always take my d750 with couple of quality primes for any shoots I have planned.
    But somehow I find that I need a kit (camera+lens with large zoom) for my walks as a tourist. Now the part that somehow differentiates me is that my "touristic" mode includes me talking to strangers and asking them to take their portrait shot. In such cases I need many times different focal lengths. Some times wide to include background and do some storytelling and some other times I need to crop very tight.
    I do that consistently as I try to develop my social skills and improve my self (please lets not judge that now). This is why I need an okayish lens because many times such candidate shots are super nice for portofolio. They have spirit and something that my "polished" shots do not have.
    This is the reason I though a lens like the nikkor 18-140 would allow me to be flexible. Do very wide shots of kids doing sports (after taking permission) and some tight headshots.
    Any ideas for such a setup?
    Regards
    Alex

P.S And part of the system should be a small fill flash. Perhaps sb-400

Does the Nikon SB-400 have an AF-Asssist system?

Again, the NIKKOR AF-S DX 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR has a number of qualities which do not make it a good candidate for "professional" use, but as a tourist shooting snapshots that are generally sharp, if it finds focus, it could be rather nice.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2016
    Does the Nikon SB-400 have an AF-Asssist system?

Again, the NIKKOR AF-S DX 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR has a number of qualities which do not make it a good candidate for "professional" use, but as a tourist shooting snapshots that are generally sharp, if it finds focus, it could be rather nice.

sb-400 will check. The ideal will be a small head that can be tilted backwards and illuminate some wall.
    Regarding the lens I think we agree (somehow). What is your experience with that lens (u sound dissapointed) and what else you could suggest as one lens with wide range of zoom? I find that the 18-50 dx prime zooms do not zoom enough to compress background. The 55-210 do not have the wider settings I need.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2016
    sb-400 will check. The ideal will be a small head that can be tilted backwards and illuminate some wall.
    Regarding the lens I think we agree (somehow). What is your experience with that lens (u sound dissapointed) and what else you could suggest as one lens with wide range of zoom? I find that the 18-50 dx prime zooms do not zoom enough to compress background. The 55-210 do not have the wider settings I need.

At this point I would suggest a 2 - lens system for your application. I am very pleased with the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM for the standard/normal zoom, and I'm quite certain (due to research) of the Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/4 G ED VR for both image quality and responsiveness, and it's lighter and more compact than the f2.8 version.
    ... Now the part that somehow differentiates me is that my "touristic" mode includes me talking to strangers and asking them to take their portrait shot. ...

If you have time to approach subjects and ask for permission you have time to change a lens for your vision of the scene.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2016
    I guess you really suggest I should have the VR version..
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/Excellent-Nikon-AF-Nikkor-70-210mm-F4-zoom-Lens-from-Japn-/191993666235?hash=item2cb3b6dabb:g:EiQAAOSwknJX1flY

The cheapest with vr version costs around 1k
    the links above costs 150 euros.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2016
    I guess you really suggest I should have the VR version..
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/Excellent-Nikon-AF-Nikkor-70-210mm-F4-zoom-Lens-from-Japn-/191993666235?hash=item2cb3b6dabb:g:EiQAAOSwknJX1flY

The cheapest with vr version costs around 1k
    the links above costs 150 euros.

These lenses share almost nothing in common and are not "versions" at all.
    At this point I would suggest a 2 - lens system for your application. I am very pleased with the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM for the standard/normal zoom, and I'm quite certain (due to research) of the Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/4 G ED VR for both image quality and responsiveness, and it's lighter and more compact than the f2.8 version.

Yes, I try to be very specific in discussing equipment.

Please look at just the "Verdict" of the following 2 pages, then tell me which lens a "professional" should have in their possession.

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/248-nikkor-af-70-210mm-f4-review--lab-test-report?start=1

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/785-nikonafs702004vrdx?start=1

While it's fun to throw around the word "professional" it's extremely important to understand the meaning of that word. In the US, and as a legal term, a "professional" is someone who earns more than half their income in that "profession".

In broader terms a professional "anything" is one who spends their time dedicated to a craft. That means forgoing other amenities, if necessary, to excel in their field.

In my understanding of a "professional photographer" that means a photographic craftsman, determined to produce photos which are demonstrably better than any layman's photos. Yes, that often takes specialized tools to achieve that lofty goal.

In terms of tools, and after the subject, setting, scene, composition, etc., the specific items I believe are essential are, and in this order:

1) Lighting
    2) Lens
    3) Camera
    4) Post-Processing
    5) Presentation/Display

Too little of any of the above and you risk producing something "amateur".

Please don't believe that simply "throwing money" at the craft is any guarantee of success; it is no guarantee of success. But careful spending on the correct tools affords you the opportunity for success, while buying incorrect tools is often a recipe for failure.

You own techniques, timing, judgement and vision, are the other components to successful imagery, and many of those are either given at birth or learned through experience, persistence and passion.

Sermon off.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2016
    I think you misunderstood the whole point of my post. It might be my English though. Thanks for your time and pretty much we agree on what you shared.
    Alex
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2016
    I think you misunderstood the whole point of my post. It might be my English though. Thanks for your time and pretty much we agree on what you shared.
    Alex

yes, something may have been 'lost in translation'

"touristic mode" and travel and vacation use implies a smaller and lighter system like mirrorless ... if Sony doesn't work look at another system

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2016
    A great Nikon walk-around zoom is the 24-120mm. It will pair very nicely with your D750. I usually throw in a fast prime (58mm, f1.4) to complete a nice, light travel kit.
  • Options
    Eldon SheaEldon Shea Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2016
    Alex, I've had good luck traveling with the Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 VC, which works on crop and full frame sensor cameras. I just posted a picture taken with it in Photo Craft. The lens works fine in manual focus on my a6300 with Metabones adapter and gives vibration comp. It is much easier to carry than my Canon 70-200 f2.8L and gives longer reach. For a really small kit on my a6300 I just carry that lens and a Sony 35mm f2.8 prime, or 28 mm f2, both of which are tiny and very light. Other than wide, this kit covers everything.