5DM3 to 5DM4

vdotmatrixvdotmatrix Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
edited November 10, 2016 in Cameras
So I want the new Canon 5DM4.

But I still have my 5DM3 that I bought new. I don't know how to sel it without giving EBAY big dollars just to sell it to some one, Craigslist is a little scary and trading it in to Adorama or B&H is an automatic $1000 loss.

How does a reputable photographer get a good camera into some one's hands without giving it away during the sale?

Any ideas?

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited October 3, 2016
    Listing it right here on Dgrin classifieds is completely free. I don't really get why you're afraid of Craigslist though. I've sold tons of stuff through Craigslist and never had any issues. Unless you sell it to a friend, the very nature of selling something requires you to come in contact with strangers. Most of the people you meet will be normal people like you and me, with the occasional axe murder. Always exercise caution.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2016
    axe murderers can be good buyers, but occasionally they take an arm and a leg....

(insert rim shot)

I'll be here all week, try the veal.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2016
    What about Facebook? I sold my D700 on there to a friend of a friend.

On top of your friends list there are probably some photo groups for your area.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2016
    Listed my 5D3 here on dgrin. Excellent condition, 45k clicks. Also an excellent Fuji X100S, and a very good Sigma DP2M. Crickets. Also listed on dpreview, and 3 facebook photography groups. Crickets. Not counting a couple cheapskates wanting to low-ball. Finally put them on ebay for auction and they got instant action. Yeah they will rob me of 10%, but my new 5DSR is sitting on my current credit card statement that I have to pay off on 11/8! One cheapskate expressed interest so I pointed her to the ebay auction, which at the time was at $1200. She asked if I would take $1100 to end the auction early. I wanted to tell her exactly where to go. It should go to $1600 - $1700 or so.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2016
    Listed my 5D3 here on dgrin. Excellent condition, 45k clicks. Also an excellent Fuji X100S, and a very good Sigma DP2M. Crickets. Also listed on dpreview, and 3 facebook photography groups. Crickets. Not counting a couple cheapskates wanting to low-ball. Finally put them on ebay for auction and they got instant action. Yeah they will rob me of 10%, but my new 5DSR is sitting on my current credit card statement that I have to pay off on 11/8! One cheapskate expressed interest so I pointed her to the ebay auction, which at the time was at $1200. She asked if I would take $1100 to end the auction early. I wanted to tell her exactly where to go. It should go to $1600 - $1700 or so.

for selling camera gear I first list on POTN and FM and here
  • sdeweddingssdeweddings Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins

do you have kijij or cragislist where you are from?

In toronto, we also have facebook groups for photographers

• jkcothronjkcothron Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    > @jmphotocraft said:
    > Listed my 5D3 here on dgrin. Excellent condition, 45k clicks. Also an excellent Fuji X100S, and a very good Sigma DP2M. Crickets. Also listed on dpreview, and 3 facebook photography groups. Crickets. Not counting a couple cheapskates wanting to low-ball. Finally put them on ebay for auction and they got instant action. Yeah they will rob me of 10%, but my new 5DSR is sitting on my current credit card statement that I have to pay off on 11/8! One cheapskate expressed interest so I pointed her to the ebay auction, which at the time was at $1200. She asked if I would take $1100 to end the auction early. I wanted to tell her exactly where to go. It should go to $1600 - $1700 or so.

I second the POTN idea. I've sold (and bought) quite a bit on there, it is pretty active usually.

John Cothron
    Galleries: Smugmug|500px|Flickr

• NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2017

@jkcothron said:

@jmphotocraft said:

I second the POTN idea. I've sold (and bought) quite a bit on there, it is pretty active usually.

The things I've found out when selling my older cameras is the photos you post matter a lot, I've sold most of my gear recently through FB or forums and especially on the former when I had just a quick shot of the gear it got almost no attention. But a few shots from a simple studio setup and it was gone in under an hour, and my Canon G1X was sold within 5 minutes of posting this week with 3 other offers made if that one fell through. Honestly I should have done a better job cleaning it but they worked so that's what matters. All this setup consists of is 2 lights (anything will do, even 2 lamps if you bump the ISO these are for the web so that would be fine) and some black studio backdrop paper:

I'll lead with photos like that and then do the more head on shots after, and point out any issues or wear which for my cameras have only really been on the grips. Basically I try to be as upfront as possible and since I keep my gear in pretty good condition saying the grip on a DSLR has some wear hasn't been an issue.

The other thing for any camera that takes lenses is to have one to include. Even if it's something cheap like a 50mm F1.8 or an old kit zoom, in my experience a lot of people are looking to build up a system eventually but don't have a ton of cash right now and want to be shooting out of the box.