Yellowstone Wildlife

roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
edited December 4, 2016 in Wildlife
A few images from my fall road trip. We spent 5 days in Yellowstone, but my time was mostly spent as a tour guide for some east coast friends, first visit. I did manage to get out a couple of mornings.

#1, Bison near Blacktail Lakes

IMG_7496-L.jpg

#2, 5x6 Bull Elk on the Gibbon River

IMG_7601-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Photography/New-Images/i-SrnqGvX/0/X2/IMG_7601-X2.jpg

#3, 6x7 Bull Elk on the Madison River

IMG_7627-2-L.jpg

Larger, https://photos.smugmug.com/Photography/New-Images/i-KLq9GBR/0/X2/IMG_7627-2-X2.jpg
I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited November 21, 2016
    Great captures. Really like the Elk's pose in that second shot.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2016
    Great set Phil. I love the first - Bison are one of my favorite animals.
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2016
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Great captures. Really like the Elk's pose in that second shot.

He was answering the bugle of another bull, about 400 yards away. the other bull never came out of the woods, or crossed the river while I was there.
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Great set Phil. I love the first - Bison are one of my favorite animals.

These two fellows were in a tussle over who controlled the local "Dust Wallow"

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2016
    Nice work, Phil. thumb.gif I never really appreciated just how big these Bison can be until a monstrous male stood still about 3 feet from my door. He was guarding the crossing spot on the road as his herd was on the move. He had to be one of those 2500 pound beast you read about.

See you,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited November 24, 2016
    Awesome. I just love shooting wildlife in Yellowstone. #2 is the one that really grabs me here. I love the way his antlers mirror the sticks around him. Plus the shallow depth of field gives it an almost 3D dimensionality. Speaking of which, the EXIF info (sorry I peeked) says f/4, which I'm guessing isn't right. I'm thinking you were using a Tamron or Kenko TC1.4x on a Canon 300 f/4, which would have actually been f/5.6. How close am I? mwink.gif
    edited November 24, 2016
    kdog wrote: »
    Awesome. I just love shooting wildlife in Yellowstone. #2 is the one that really grabs me here. I love the way his antlers mirror the sticks around him. Plus the shallow depth of field gives it an almost 3D dimensionality. Speaking of which, the EXIF info (sorry I peeked) says f/4, which I'm guessing isn't right. I'm thinking you were using a Tamron or Kenko TC1.4x on a Canon 300 f/4, which would have actually been f/5.6. How close am I? mwink.gif

Joel, thanks for viewing. Yellowstone is one of my frequent destinations.

I was using a Canon 1.4 converter on a Canon 300mm f/2.8 lens with I.S.

• jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2016
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited November 25, 2016
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    Joel, thanks for viewing. Yellowstone is one of my frequent destinations.

I was using a Canon 1.4 converter on a Canon 300mm f/2.8 lens with I.S.
    Gotcha. I forgot about that great lens! I've been to Yellowstone twice in the winter, both times over Christmas. Love it in the winter and thinking about doing it again this year.
    edited November 25, 2016
    Nice work, Phil. thumb.gif I never really appreciated just how big these Bison can be until a monstrous male stood still about 3 feet from my door. He was guarding the crossing spot on the road as his herd was on the move. He had to be one of those 2500 pound beast you read about.

See you,

Tom

Thanks Tom. I was standing on top of my van once with Bison streaming by on both sides, when two bulls decided to have a dust up right at the back of my van. They were so close I couldn't get a decent shot with my 70-200, and I was just hoping the didn't smash into the van.
    kdog wrote: »
    Gotcha. I forgot about that great lens! I've been to Yellowstone twice in the winter, both times over Christmas. Love it in the winter and thinking about doing it again this year.

I'm planning to be in Yellowstone the week of 12/12, if i get the transfer case repaired, and back in my van.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2016
    Killer shots Phil!clap.giflustbowdown.gif
    edited December 4, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Killer shots Phil!clap.giflustbowdown.gif

Thanks for the comments Taz. Transfer case rebuilt, and in the van. Sorting through winter gear, and planning to head for the Rockies, Wed, or Thurs. wings.gif

Phil

• wtlwdwgnwtlwdwgn Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins

Nice shooting Phil! B)

Steve